Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 02:32 PM

376 posts, read 310,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Food for morons.

Good for you. Maybe you are just lucky and should count your blessings instead of worrying why everyone is "struggling" and you're not. LI is an overpriced dump in decline, despite world class potential. Every time I start to like it or care about fixing it, people like you post with your smarmy "it's so greaattttt, I never strugggleeed evvverrrrr" nonsense that makes me want to sell and bail immediately (and barf, too) since I know one of the same incumbent criminals is about to be reelected by one of you. The real fact is YOU'VE probably lived no where else so have nothing to compare it to. You think an overpriced, corruption filled, infrastructure crumbling, average 'burb with top 10 world wide cost of living is so special. Other's find that so ridiculous it's practically comedy gold. That is why "all you hear is people struggling here." Wake up, you're lucky...or just too dumb to know the difference. As long as you're happy, goody for you. Ignorance is bliss. Long Island IS too expensive. I know. I LIVE HERE. And I've lived in way better places for less. Way less hassle, cost or struggle. Even my wife gave up pretending this place was a prize and she used to sound just like you. Until her job situation changed, which they always do. That's 50+ more people now "struggling" here who weren't before because an 80 yr old biz decides it's JUST TOO EXPENSIVE to continue operating here (keyword: TOO EXPENSIVE). If you or yours never struggle, count your blessings, you are just magically gifted.
It seems as if you’re the one who has never lived anywhere else. You keep mentioning LI, but NY in general is expensive. Yet you only make mention to LI. I’ve lived all my life in NYC and moved to Nassau 2 years ago because it’s more affordable with a better lifestyle than living in Queens. And that’s what most new residents are doing as well.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:34 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Happy wife, happy life. I came back to Seagate in Brooklyn and loved it, 20 years ago. I sold a nice house in Texas which I also enjoyed. Wife wanted to stay on LI. She has regretted not buying in Brooklyn or Manhattan ever since. I'm here until the kid graduates. Then he can have the house if he wants it. Unless values tank AGAIN like in 2008. Then I'll be here loving it and working full time until I'm 85 if there are any jobs left at all. Oh, and by far and away, most DO NOT COME BACK. Even Trump is making the move to God's waiting room. He says NY is TOO EXPENSIVE!!! Maybe he's struggling, too!
Donald Trump is a person I don't care about in the slightest. I can't wait til his presidency is over.

Happy Wife, Happy Life … yes that is very important and something I stand by wholeheartedly

Old 11-01-2019, 02:43 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
It seems as if you’re the one who has never lived anywhere else. You keep mentioning LI, but NY in general is expensive. Yet you only make mention to LI. I’ve lived all my life in NYC and moved to Nassau 2 years ago because it’s more affordable with a better lifestyle than living in Queens. And that’s what most new residents are doing as well.
LI is a hefty premium for good schools and a clean Target But let’s be realistic. The Brooklyn house in 1999 was selling for $570k and is now worth close to $2m w much more space and half the tax and seagate is a gorgeous gated community. My tx house was $179k and is now worth over $400k. My LI house was $250k and is now worth $499k (less under Mangano more under Curran, welcome to LI, lol) but the taxes have gone up 10 fold. Again, Li Is not a value proposition. It is a safe, boring place fir martyr parents to sleep soundly fir their kids well being but wide awake at night trying to meet the ever shifting monthly nut. Just because people struggle and call a pig a pig doesnt mean we can’t be happy and enjoy life. We just roll our eyes at deluded idiots a lot.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:27 PM

37 posts, read 13,629 times
Quote:
LI is a hefty premium for good schools and a clean Target But let’s be realistic. The Brooklyn house in 1999 was selling for $570k and is now worth close to $2m w much more space and half the tax and seagate is a gorgeous gated community. My tx house was $179k and is now worth over $400k. My LI house was $250k and is now worth $499k (less under Mangano more under Curran, welcome to LI, lol) but the taxes have gone up 10 fold. Again, Li Is not a value proposition. It is a safe, boring place fir martyr parents to sleep soundly fir their kids well being but wide awake at night trying to meet the ever shifting monthly nut. Just because people struggle and call a pig a pig doesnt mean we can’t be happy and enjoy life. We just roll our eyes at deluded idiots a lot.
Long island wasn't a good investment, until now.
Just like NYC and JC, long island will change.

You know how the people of New York wanted to live in the outskirts of Manhattan, paid taxes, and got kicked out? Same thing is going to happen here. People will vote no but the mayor will announce condos and skyscrapers.

It's already happening in western Suffolk and few patches of the Hamptons. Just wait for patchogue to get gentrified due to beach access.

A lot of naysayers say it won't happen, but they always said that and were never right. It's already happening.

The financial aspect is there, the railroad is there, demand is too. All that is left is to replace voter base and town officials. That can be done easily as town and county's do not have any power over the state. Just look at the state doings. They ripping the ground inside out.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:14 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Where are on Long Island do you live?
You live ON LI and I lived ON LI.
Everyone who's FROM LI lives ON LI!

OP constantly writes how he and wife live IN LI.
Is OP a transplant ... or what?
OP .?

Old 11-01-2019, 04:30 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Seagate, isn’t that little Ukraine with the $18/hr rent-a-cops?

Old 11-01-2019, 05:13 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc85 View Post
Long island wasn't a good investment, until now.
Just like NYC and JC, long island will change.

You know how the people of New York wanted to live in the outskirts of Manhattan, paid taxes, and got kicked out? Same thing is going to happen here. People will vote no but the mayor will announce condos and skyscrapers.

It's already happening in western Suffolk and few patches of the Hamptons. Just wait for patchogue to get gentrified due to beach access.

A lot of naysayers say it won't happen, but they always said that and were never right. It's already happening.

The financial aspect is there, the railroad is there, demand is too. All that is left is to replace voter base and town officials. That can be done easily as town and county's do not have any power over the state. Just look at the state doings. They ripping the ground inside out.
Your delusional if you think we will ever have skyscrapers. True or not patmed school district doesn’t have a good reputation. Maybe it’s not true but perception is all that matters. Schools sell real estate here. I wouldn’t call Patchhogue western suffolk. Where in western suffolk are skyscrapers? Condos yes and they are all $$$.

LI isn’t NYC
Nice areas get nicer and more expensive
Crappy areas stay the same

Old 11-01-2019, 06:46 PM

37 posts, read 13,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Your delusional if you think we will ever have skyscrapers. True or not patmed school district doesn’t have a good reputation. Maybe it’s not true but perception is all that matters. Schools sell real estate here. I wouldn’t call Patchhogue western suffolk. Where in western suffolk are skyscrapers? Condos yes and they are all $$$.

LI isn’t NYC
Nice areas get nicer and more expensive
Crappy areas stay the same
I get your view. You had the same view of the thousands of people who also thought by no means BK/Queens/Nassau are getting built up.

Most people like yourself, align themselves with a view that they are in favor of, but often get blingsighted by reality. Bigger people than you and I run the world

Old 11-02-2019, 03:14 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc85 View Post
I get your view. You had the same view of the thousands of people who also thought by no means BK/Queens/Nassau are getting built up.

Most people like yourself, align themselves with a view that they are in favor of, but often get blingsighted by reality. Bigger people than you and I run the world
The areas of bk and queens that where built up all have subways and are 15 min or less to manhattan. Can’t compare bk heights, Williamsburg, downtown bk, LI city, green point, bushwick etc to mid suffolk.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:40 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
OP I read your original post, leave. There are numerous places in this country with great schools a good QOL all you need to do is pick a spot and explore your employment opportunities. You'll leave the rat race that you described and hopefully find a great job with a 20 minute commute (which is the national average), kids will adjust and you can always come back and visit whenever you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island