Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 05:49 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times

Advertisements

There is a better life out there for you. You probably won't be able to replace your income fully with a move, at least first, but don't let that stop you. It will require time and investment in your new area. You didn't say how old you are either...in your 20's and early 30's it will be a lot easier to make the move.

Jacksonville FL has a up and coming finance industry as companies move folks from NYC down there. As does Charlotte, NC.

Also I've found the Midwest and west coast offers much better work-life balance over the east coast.

Being gone from home every day for 14 hours a day is not normal. Neither is paying tens of thousands in property tax on top of high state income taxes. You are paying everyone else, what money do you get to keep for yourselves?

Old 11-04-2019, 06:46 AM

37 posts, read 13,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
There is a better life out there for you. You probably won't be able to replace your income fully with a move, at least first, but don't let that stop you. It will require time and investment in your new area. You didn't say how old you are either...in your 20's and early 30's it will be a lot easier to make the move.

Jacksonville FL has a up and coming finance industry as companies move folks from NYC down there. As does Charlotte, NC.

Also I've found the Midwest and west coast offers much better work-life balance over the east coast.

Being gone from home every day for 14 hours a day is not normal. Neither is paying tens of thousands in property tax on top of high state income taxes. You are paying everyone else, what money do you get to keep for yourselves?
We take home 7k after expenses. If jobs are there, Florida will be a definite go. If I had to pick bad schools with more time at home with kids and a future for them to be homeowners working poor jobs, I'd pick that over great schools and great jobs with an infinite slave debt burden in nyc.

Last edited by dmc85; 11-04-2019 at 07:03 AM..

Old 11-04-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Move to Staten Island and cut your commute to Manhattan in half. You can buy many detached homes anywhere along the South Shore (from the Verrazzano to Prince's Bay) in nice neighborhoods for half of your savings used as a down payment. And real estate taxes are much less expensive.
I work in mid town. Isn't that also 1.5 hrs to si?

Old 11-04-2019, 08:37 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
We aren’t struggling either and we are only making $140 as a couple. We are living just fine. Then again, I don’t require, nor would I ever consider driving a BMW or a Mercedes. No need to keep up with the Joneses. But, we live in a safe neighborhood ina Colonial Split and are doing fine. How could anyone make $200k and complain? I worked I. The city and I loved it. 53 minute express train to Penn from Seaford was great. No wear and tear on my new SUV. And it was the same commute time as I have now driving to Stony Brook everyday.

If you are missing out on life because you need to commute 20 hrs per week to be able to afford your lifestyle, the answer is simple. Change your life style. If you live on the north shore, get out. You could each make $75 in some financial place on LI and move to an average town. Otherwise, you are living to work. To me, money is not important if you have no time to yourself to enjoy it. This is totally in your control making $200k in NYC and living on LI or making $60 working on a ranch in Arizona. It’s up to you. No one needs that much money unless they choose to live a certain lifestyle.
Exactly.

If people can't live comfortably on $200k they are doing something wrong. LI is expensive but it's not LI's fault that some people struggle.

I love LI but I do know we have our problems … but any time I have an issue with money … that is my fault. I don't go blame it on Long Island.

People need to take accountability for their life choices and stop blaming it on "it's too expensive" here.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:40 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc85 View Post
No day care. I will make my wife will stay at home and take care of the kids. She will be worth 3 times more at home than at the job.

Fyi, I think there's more problems with New York in general than in any other state other than cali.

We have people here who cannot afford it that are causing developers to build skyscrapers for them that they can't afford either. These guys think that having 4 cars in each house will be alright with no cops monitoring phone usage between the marvelous LIE between exits 18 and 33.

Those exits, I can watch an entire Netflix episode. This state is an absolute **** show. I realized that even with my commute that is longer than in nYC, it is still better here than in the city. How on earth can it be ****ty here and STILL better than NYC or Nassau?

We need population quotas. No more millenials or gen z from Alabama or Kentucky or France coming in. We are full.
If my husband MADE ME stay home and take care of kids, I'd divorce him right then & there. There is nothing wrong with a woman staying @ home (or a man for that matter), but your wife should be the one making the decision … not doing it to appease you, b/c it is what YOU want.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:13 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
No day care. I will make my wife will stay at home and take care of the kids.
We need population quotas. No more millenials or gen z from Alabama or Kentucky or France coming in. We are full.
Please tell me that you didn't intend to type that you will "make your wife stay at home and take care of the kids" .... LOL, those are fighting words in this century!

Your final sentence kind of blows my mind as well and frankly, has set off my Troll Detector pretty loudly LOL. And here I thought you were asking a legitimate original question. Pfft.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Please tell me that you didn't intend to type that you will "make your wife stay at home and take care of the kids" .... LOL, those are fighting words in this century!

Your final sentence kind of blows my mind as well and frankly, has set off my Troll Detector pretty loudly LOL. And here I thought you were asking a legitimate original question. Pfft.

Satisfaction from improving current life standards would suit me better just right now, than trolling would.

Fighting words? I don't exactly understand what that means. I'm not convincing anyone to move out of this state, nor do I hate long island, nor do I think any of you are X, Y or Z. Saying "Making my wife stay home to clean/take care of kids", just means, one animal will have to make the nest for the eggs, and one will have to hunt for the food. It works like a miracle in mother nature and that's why you, me, and everyone else here is alive today. Nothing special about it, nothing demoralizing. Sun rises in the east, sets in the west, nothing has changed and this century is no different than the last one, nor to the ones to come.

There are no fighting words here. Sorry, let me rephrase "I will make my wife stay at home, and she will make me go to work every day." Does that make everyone here feel better?

Old 11-04-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
If my husband MADE ME stay home and take care of kids, I'd divorce him right then & there. There is nothing wrong with a woman staying @ home (or a man for that matter), but your wife should be the one making the decision … not doing it to appease you, b/c it is what YOU want.

If you are having relationship issues, then by all means, you have the right to leave at any time. This is a free country.You do what YOU want to do.

In MY case, it works better that I go to work because I make 3 times the salary my wife does AND I specifically asked before marrying if she can stay at home. My first gf did not want to do that, so off we went. She wanted to do things that women were not made for. In case you haven't noticed, guys can lift heavy things, and women are able to give birth. There's a reason why women are more cunning and guys are more muscular. I'm not rocket scientist, but if we add 2 and 3, we get 5 as the result. I don't know what to tell you, but I'm just a normal guy, just want a nice family, and that means we have to split tasks. WE CANT BOTH BE AT WORK CAUSE THEN THE KID IS GOING TO DIE. They need someone to take care of them and it's either the mom or dad.

Wouldn't it be stupid if I tried breastfeeding from my pecs and my wife was on the bench press machine? Anyway, it seems that people today are trying to change thousands of years of tradition. By all means, if you want to reinvent the wheel, go ahead. Leave me out of it.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:13 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
Saying "Making my wife stay home to clean/take care of kids", just means, one animal will have to make the nest for the eggs, and one will have to hunt for the food. It works like a miracle in mother nature and that's why you, me, and everyone else here is alive today.
Actually, biparental care is not uncommon in monogamous animals and in birds: both parents share in the rearing of their young AND in foraging or hunting for food. In fact 80% of all bird species do that.

It's true that in most bird species the female does the nest-construction but once the eggs hatch, both parents share in the work of raising the young and in finding food for the family. So your comparison of them with humans only works during the prenatal period, which is the smallest span of time within the offspring-rearing spectrum.

Btw, the "fighting word(s)" is the attitude that one partner should be able to or has any right to "make" the other one take on a specific role simply because of their gender(s). Yes, we are mammals but one would hope that we've been able to evolve socially through the centuries to be more enlightened than, say, the baboon.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:13 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
We take home 7k after expenses. If jobs are there, Florida will be a definite go. If I had to pick bad schools with more time at home with kids and a future for them to be homeowners working poor jobs, I'd pick that over great schools and great jobs with an infinite slave debt burden in nyc.
School districts in Florida are by county. Don’t believe the NY hype that all Florida schools are bad. They’re not. LI uses Jericho as the example but it’s even an outlier across the 125 districts.

Find good schools in a good district and you’d be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island