Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 09:24 AM

40 posts, read 42,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
It's been beaten to death in other threads, but our property tax mess is not fixable on the town or county level so really, what's the damn difference? Yeah the Nassau GOP is corrupt, welcome to politics everywhere on earth. Both sides spend, they just prioritize different things. If the Dems had unchecked power they'd just start giving away free tuition to illegal aliens, make life easier for ambulance chasers, pass more useless gun laws, let criminals out of jail... you know, like they do in NYC and NY in general, where the Dems control the executive and legislative branches. A few patronage positions are a small price to pay to block the progressive agenda.

The problem with this is that the D's that run on the local level are not progressive loons in any way shape or form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 09:50 AM

151 posts, read 129,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkfast View Post
The problem with this is that the D's that run on the local level are not progressive loons in any way shape or form.
The progressives on Long Island see Nassau Democratic chair Jay Jacobs as too conservative and aligned with republicans. The same has been said for Suffolk Democratic chair Rich Schaffer and he has allied himself with the Conservative party in the past.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:19 PM

259 posts, read 174,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
The progressives on Long Island see Nassau Democratic chair Jay Jacobs as too conservative and aligned with republicans. The same has been said for Suffolk Democratic chair Rich Schaffer and he has allied himself with the Conservative party in the past.
Going back to Matthews, the Nassau County Democratic party chairs have been too cozy with the GOP county chairs.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:25 PM

577 posts, read 978,970 times
I am just overwhelmed with emotion at the personal sacrifices being made by Kate Murray. Here's a former Town Supervisor who comes back to serve the people in a"lesser" position of Town Clerk. Comments?

Old 11-11-2019, 06:31 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkfast View Post
Doesn't matter. I don't like their brand, so I don't want them anywhere near the levels of power, even on the local level. The local GOP isn't exactly right-wing either, in most states they'd be called Democrats.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:01 AM

151 posts, read 129,934 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter. I don't like their brand, so I don't want them anywhere near the levels of power, even on the local level. The local GOP isn't exactly right-wing either, in most states they'd be called Democrats.
the local democrats would be called republicans in nyc.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:16 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,768,452 times
Quote:
Yep so true.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:27 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,198 times
Laura G finally conceded today after the absentee ballots were counted. Clavin's margin of victory increased after the vote count as expected - I couldn't imagine the majority of absentee ballots going the Dems way.

Many say she lost because people thought that she was Laura C/county exec and were voting solely against her due to reassessment...it will be interesting to see the impact of this on the next county exec election.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:56 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
Many say she lost because people thought that she was Laura C/county exec and were voting solely against her due to reassessment...it will be interesting to see the impact of this on the next county exec election.
I don't quite believe this. That's Jay Jacobs making excuses. There are many reasons Gillen lost this election. First time around, Santino made so many enemies even within his own party (including 2 well-respected Republican sitting board members) that they'd have voted for a sponge over him. Gillen also lost the 1270-vote-strong animal people this election, all of whom not only voted for her last time around, but campaigned heavily for her. Additionally, she ran a very weak campaign, compared to Clavin's almost daily hammering away at her via numerous (and creatively/cleverly written) mailers, frequent TV spots, and many road signs.

Old 11-22-2019, 01:38 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
Whatever they both suck. Atleast republicans tax me less on a national level. Doesn’t matter whose elected locally it’s not going to lower the school taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island