Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 03:00 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
What part of RVC borders Roosevelt?
I stand corrected, it’s very close to Roosevelt and Hempstead though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
RVC has a *housing authority*, with low-rent housing on North Centre Ave and Maine Ave. It is not, however, adjacent to Roosevelt. The westerly bits of Merrick are, but separated by the Meadowbrook Parkway and some park land.

Still, Roosevelt has given us Julius Erving, Eddie Murphy and, yes, Howard Stern. Merrick gave the world (*cringe*) Paul Krugman.
Eddie Murphy was originally from Brooklyn, and stern fled to RVC when he was in HS.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:11 PM

174 posts, read 106,584 times
Yep. Murphy moved to Roosevelt when he was 11; Stern's parents headed west to RVC when he was 15.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:23 PM

376 posts, read 310,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
What are your concerns? I’ve heard no complaints of the beautiful Riv.
My concerns are that I along with the majority of civilization would prefer to live with decent human beings that have good moral values. So I don’t want to live in an area where driving 1 mile East gets me to an undesirable area. Why? Because it means we share all public stores, restaurants, malls, etc.

For some reason, Massapequa and Huntington are the two towns that most come up in this forum about “is this street or section of said town safe”. Why is that? If I spend $800k+ on a home, I want the entire town to be safe, not just my 10 block radius.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:38 PM

Even Greenwich, CT is five minutes from Port Chester, NY.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Even Greenwich, CT is five minutes from Port Chester, NY.
And as far as I know it’s divided by a river and you need to hop on a expressway to cross over. And at the end of the day is a different state. We’re talking about the same town in this situation which makes things even worse.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:13 PM

US 1 and W. Putnam Ave go right over the Byram River. I get your point, of course. I would have a fear of bumping into Seinfeld, a Baldwin or two, or (shudder) Steve Guttenberg.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:11 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
My concerns are that I along with the majority of civilization would prefer to live with decent human beings that have good moral values. So I don’t want to live in an area where driving 1 mile East gets me to an undesirable area. Why? Because it means we share all public stores, restaurants, malls, etc.

For some reason, Massapequa and Huntington are the two towns that most come up in this forum about “is this street or section of said town safe”. Why is that? If I spend $800k+ on a home, I want the entire town to be safe, not just my 10 block radius.
Seriously bud? Where did you grow up and how sheltered were you? If you waste 800k+ to live in da riv you have bigger issues.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Seriously bud? Where did you grow up and how sheltered were you? If you waste 800k+ to live in da riv you have bigger issues.
I was born and raised in NYC (Queens to be exact). Sheltered for wanting to live in a good neighborhood? What a crime.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Plenty of houses worth way more than that along the canals in all those towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island