Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 06:13 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
The sooner the nimbys die off and we can actually become a well planned Queens as opposed to a kicking and screaming, racist, bedroom community of NYC, the sooner we can compete in the real world again for industry, youth, growth and economic advancement. Instead LI would rather pretend it's 1950, Grumman is humming and growth is endless. Well, no more cheap potato land, the water is undrinkable and industry has left tumbleweeds in it's place. Condos MIGHT just be our friend, not enemy. Transit oriented DOWNTOWNS, friend, not foe. The demographics are changing fast. A smart metro gets on top of it. LI on the other hand is mostly corruption indictments and rats fleeing the ship as fast as possible. The chumps who stay pick up the tax slack and vote in "new" police and teacher contracts w/ endless 2% raises even in the worst of times. Just keep repeating the same insane mistakes and expect better results. Kate Murray just reelected. I rest my case. LI would rather die with it's "unique suburban character" than live with intelligent (sub)urban development.
The fact that she is an elected official in any capacity is the very definition of madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 06:34 AM

174 posts, read 106,584 times
If you want pols who don't steal or cheat, move to Finland. Political corruption is a feature of democracy, not a bug, unless everyone is named "Virtanen" or some such.

But the "racism" thing is a fair accusation. Just the other day a sidewalk flag called me a dirty Jewboy, and a hydrant accused me of being a Christ-killer. Even the road signs, with their racist "speed limits" and "traffic regulations," underscore the fact that dystopic Nassau County is a veritable Seth Efrica.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:47 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notme1373 View Post
NYC long island weschester there is no difference. If Cuomo sees money, they will follow.

Both LI and NYC politicians are corrupt. This is no news, but the way they make profit is different. In LI they tax you to death and say it goes to schools as a scapegoat. In NYC, they keep the tax low artificially to gain appreciation via ripping out the ground and placing a skyscraper to rent out the apartments.

What is being done in long island now, works. But when push comes to shove and cash devalues further, they will be forced to do what NYC is doing.

Your explanation that long island is different is not valid. Brooklyn and queens were once part of long island until NYC bought them. Look it up. NYC and state of New York are the same politically. Your rights, my rights, and everything else the public has to say mean zilch when the politicians can be bought out.

They are building up nassau and western suffolk. I dont like it, but that's why I bought my house near a train station, so when they wave the check, I can decline.

Dont believe me? Look at the apartment complex in lindenhurst and check the recent push for Freeport to be built up. 6 years ago in LIC, no one built up and no one wanted them to, and now it looks like Manhattan 2.0.

Were running in circles. I like nature and the suburbs, but don't be surprised if one day you cant see the sunset. In other words, never say never. That's how you lose the war even if you win most of the battles.
BK and queens once being politically LI is irrelevant.

These apartments you refer to are 3-4 floors hardly being built up. And LIC has been under devolpment for well over 10 years. li will Continue to see apartments near trains and they will be 3-4 floors and rent for 3k a month. No one cares that’s fine. But high rises will never happen. There is apartments near me $3100 for a 1br in a town with no train station. I think it’s great they have around 150 units and the stats show 11 kids in the schools, big tax $$$ no kids. I bought my house away from the train. I prefer to drive 10 min, no homeless running around, no horns or train noises, no busses driving by etc. I live in very very western suffolk and the only development we see is country pointe Plainview. (In Nassau on border) and high end homes.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:30 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Just keep repeating the same insane mistakes and expect better results. Kate Murray just reelected. I rest my case. LI would rather die with it's "unique suburban character" than live with intelligent (sub)urban development.
The population here just isn't being hurt enough to do much about it (leaving or uprising). A good percentage are still making good money (whether union - f the gravy train, or not - bless these guys) and can still get by fine. Some choose to put their head in the sand and claim there's no imbalance - that what's going on here is fine for them as long as they can get by. I am irritated that people don't have to work hard for their sh---stuff. I am irritated that my money doesn't go to make my hometown a better place like I've seen in person elsewhere. When we travel with our sports teams and see how others live and what there is to offer in other areas, we hear comments of jealousy, from our own guys - no lie. Ironically some from union guys who don't seem to put 2 & 2 together. "Why can't we have this?" F the people who take my money and run, this place sucks. Travel away from our area more and you will see.

Last edited by ovi8; 12-28-2019 at 07:39 AM..

Old 12-28-2019, 08:36 AM

174 posts, read 106,584 times
"Imbalance" is inherent in the human condition. Somehow I don't blame that inescapable given on local pols or conditions. And what you think will make your hometown a better place just might not jibe with the views of others.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:49 AM

18 posts, read 8,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
BK and queens once being politically LI is irrelevant.

These apartments you refer to are 3-4 floors hardly being built up. And LIC has been under devolpment for well over 10 years. li will Continue to see apartments near trains and they will be 3-4 floors and rent for 3k a month. No one cares that’s fine. But high rises will never happen. There is apartments near me $3100 for a 1br in a town with no train station. I think it’s great they have around 150 units and the stats show 11 kids in the schools, big tax $$$ no kids. I bought my house away from the train. I prefer to drive 10 min, no homeless running around, no horns or train noises, no busses driving by etc. I live in very very western suffolk and the only development we see is country pointe Plainview. (In Nassau on border) and high end homes.
You are right on that abs here is the realization. Economically, the are two risks. 1 is downside and 2 is upside. Downside risk is when you buy far away from station to avoid homeless and achieve calamity. Thinking it's only a 20min drive. Upside risk is when you buy on top of the station because you are afraid of getting priced out later on and having to standing in what use to be 10m, now 30minute traffic.

The truth is the economy goes in cycles, and we've just had a downside risk in effect in the 70s. Now we have upside risk where they are building up the city and burns as they did in the 20s and 50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island