Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 09:23 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Still a joke compared to NY American rates. When I lived in Nassau, the moment they took over my bill tripled. Went from years of paying around 50 a quarter to over 50 a momth. .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 10:48 AM

622 posts, read 853,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Water was one of the last bargains here. My bill runs about $60 per quarter, so this amounts to a 33% increase.

Get ready because it's only the start. The water situation on LI is grim. It didn't have to be this way, but like with so many aspects of life on LI, your elected officials have failed you. Over-development and ridiculously dense housing has put huge demand on the artesian-wells that tap the aquifer. In some areas, this is leading to salt water incursion and lower water levels. I believe the SCWA lies about the pollutant levels, that millions of people are being put at risk because of this. With pockets of industry that created plumes, look at all of the gas stations that originally had those leaky tanks filled with MBTE-laced gasoline. Chemicals like MBTE stick around for years.

Take a drive out past Exit 62 on the LIE and you'll soon see what's left of the pine barrens. The pine barrens, some of the last open space on LI, was the aquifer's recharge basin. It basically filtered fresh water that would leach down into the aquifer. Well now notice how many high-density housing developments and senior care facilities have gone up, how many sand mines and waste yards inhabit this area. That's truly horrifying.

Nassau County is already talking to NYC about 'buying' water from the municipal source, a hugely expensive idea, but one that may be the only way out.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:39 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
We did it to ourselves as well.
Years and years of just dumping chemicals and waste into our yards before we knew, before there was regulation.
I actually knew old timers back in the day who would talk about doing oil changes back in their day, and they would just dig a shallow hole somewhere in the yard and dump the oil in there and cover it up. Same with gasoline, antifreeze, etc...

One guy, long since gone, told me they used roll junk cars downhill into a local pond. And it was true because I could tap the top of the cars with my oar when paddling there. He said there had to be 8 or 10 that he knew of in there. Crazy.

And to this day you have skel businesses that still dump toxic waste on vacant or abandoned land. They should get the death penalty when caught.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:44 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
So why isn't this bill going towards the companies and the owners of the companies who made the mess?

Old 12-10-2019, 09:00 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
So why isn't this bill going towards the companies and the owners of the companies who made the mess?
Good question! Many companies are long gone such as Dzus Fastener in West Islip. Apparently according to the article in the link below the site has recently been sold to a developer, but as the article states, the site has been "oozing nasty heavy metals and carcinogens such as cadmium, lead, chromium and cyanide into the soil since it was built in 1938"....

Dzus Fastener Site

https://libn.com/2019/05/10/develope...etail-project/

Also in my neck of the woods, they developed the site of the old seaplane base in Babylon Village as residential housing. I think I remember there being a serious breast cancer issue with residents who bought those houses.

And wasn't the "Mystic Pines" Condo Complex at the corner of Union Ave and Manor Lane in Bay Shore built on a site that was formerly some sort of aircraft plant?

Last edited by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?; 12-10-2019 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: Forgot Something

Old 12-10-2019, 09:18 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Imagine if we had to deal with radon here as well?!!!

Old 12-11-2019, 05:18 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Water was one of the last bargains here. My bill runs about $60 per quarter, so this amounts to a 33% increase.
So true. I used to pay $25/quarter in Garden City.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:26 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,220,813 times
Nuclear powered desalination plants for all!!!

Nah no vision on this island.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:18 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Imagine if we had to deal with radon here as well?!!!
There is scattered radon on the north shore. North Fork up to 15% of homes have a level above the EPA recommended action level.

https://projects.newsday.com/databas...-levels-homes/

Old 12-11-2019, 08:42 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
For municipal water a filter change is like $100 a year. And as it covers the whole house you don’t have to worry about breathing in stuff in the shower, etc.

Even if a 5 gallon jug is say $5, it‘ll likely cost more per year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Are those Aldi’s jugs spring water, distilled water or drinking water? For all you know if the latter they could be filled somewhere local. No guarantees.
Alright Alriight!!...

"RAINWATER"...

I'll start a series of collection barrels placed strategically on my property and start farming rainwater for drinking and showering. It will be in keeping with all the latest trends (natural, sustainable, organic, non-GMO, gluten free, etc.) Might even start a Craft Brewery, Distillery or Cidery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island