Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 06:43 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
There is no provision within the law for bail to be punitive. The presumption of innocence does not allow for punishment before trial. It seems that you are of the position that the driver should "pay" for his "crime" before being convicted. Unconstitutional and unamerican.
Regardless plenty of these ROR’d will never show up to court to even face a conviction because all judicial discretion for a ton of crimes to ensure those arrested face trial had been removed. That is insane and unamerican. Even the left of Lenin newsday called the law “misguided”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 06:43 AM

1,466 posts, read 758,507 times
If the person has had a fail to appear in the past or there’s circumstances that shows the person poses a danger to society the judge should have the power to request bail. It’s pathetic they cannot. Many people know and understand it’s not suppose to be punitive. But a judge can’t determine if a person he knows nothing about will return to court in the 5 min bail hearing. Give me a break.

Kokonutty what’s your opinion on the victim of a hate crime afraid to report the incident because the new law will give his information to the defendant and the defense attorney. No one should be afraid to report a crime. It’s unconstitutional and unamerican in your words I believe. Your supporting defendants and punishing victims.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...uja-story.html

This person who committed 2 hate crimes in 3 days in nyc failed to comply with a court order already.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/01/hate-c...in-three-days/

So she will obviously show up for her date with no bail requiring her. Give me a break. At what point do you require bail ? Or do we wait the 2 years for her slow trail to play out before she sits in a cell for a day. While she continues to commit crimes.

Old 01-01-2020, 01:10 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Regardless plenty of these ROR’d will never show up to court to even face a conviction because all judicial discretion for a ton of crimes to ensure those arrested face trial had been removed. That is insane and unamerican. Even the left of Lenin newsday called the law “misguided”.
Not showing up in court will not expunge the charges but will only add charges and warrants to the process. Your characterization of both the newspaper and your out of context excerpt does nothing to further your argument.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:10 AM

430 posts, read 556,989 times
Some of you are confusing liberal NYS law with the constitution. Many states allow consideration of other criteria besides likelihood to appear when setting bail.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Not showing up in court will not expunge the charges but will only add charges and warrants to the process. Your characterization of both the newspaper and your out of context excerpt does nothing to further your argument.
No one said that you are putting words into my mouth. What it will do it waste valuable time, tax payer money, and possibly even lives wasting valuable LE resources to find and arrest those who skipped court when they would have been simply locked up a year ago.

Bail is completely constitutional and it is supposed up to a judge to determine excessiveness based on danger to the community and likeliness of flight. This insane, pandering, stupid state laws take that discretion away.

Last edited by peconic117; 01-02-2020 at 05:49 AM..

Old 01-02-2020, 06:14 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
I was home the other day and heard a reporter ask Laura Curran about it. She appeared to try to distance herself by saying that the law was the law was instituted and now she would do everything to support it. I must say, that while I will always love L.I, I am very happy given the current goings on that I no longer live there.

The inmates are running the asylum.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:35 AM

1,466 posts, read 758,507 times
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...3xu-story.html

Bank robber with 3 past bank robberies ? No big deal. 0 bail. He’s on the street with you until years later when he case is settled. Also has 2 federal prison terms served. Safe guy to release.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...3xu-story.html

Bank robber with 3 past bank robberies ? No big deal. 0 bail. He’s on the street with you until years later when he case is settled. Also has 2 federal prison terms served. Safe guy to release.
Yep no big deal! We wouldn’t want to “punish” this poor man before trial though. That would be unconstitutional!

Old 01-02-2020, 08:28 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Cuomo needs to go. Like now.
It's getting worse every day.
Between him and Diblasio it's a total **** show.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:25 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
No one said that you are putting words into my mouth. What it will do it waste valuable time, tax payer money, and possibly even lives wasting valuable LE resources to find and arrest those who skipped court when they would have been simply locked up a year ago.

Bail is completely constitutional and it is supposed up to a judge to determine excessiveness based on danger to the community and likeliness of flight. This insane, pandering, stupid state laws take that discretion away.
Do not even attempt to make the economic argument without considering the expense of imprisonment for those awaiting trial as well as transporting them to court appearances which far outweighs that which you forecast.

Certainly bail is a legal concept but requiring it punitively is most decidedly not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island