Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 11:45 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Fine tuned isn’t the word more like gutted and massively rewritten. I agree the process was disgraceful this trash law was shoehorned into the budget and never voted on its own merits, which should never have been done with a law as consequential as this. Regardless it’s becoming obvious this law likely won’t stand as it is much longer as the politicians are already playing defense from an outraged public.

As for the first article, her own MOTHER wished she wasn’t released on bail.
Just about all legislation at every level is disgraceful because we no longer have people interested in the greater good involved; we have partisans who wish only to draw an indelible line between themselves and the opposition to preserve the status quo. The problem is far too many voters and even the vocal low information "citizens" too lazy to get involved enough to vote like it that way - it's all about choosing sides in arguments that are neither black nor white but painted that way by professional politicians.

As for the article referred to, the accused's mother was making the point that for years the family's plea for proper care for the daughter's mental condition has fallen on the deaf ears of politicians and other governmental hacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 05:17 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Just about all legislation at every level is disgraceful because we no longer have people interested in the greater good involved; we have partisans who wish only to draw an indelible line between themselves and the opposition to preserve the status quo. The problem is far too many voters and even the vocal low information "citizens" too lazy to get involved enough to vote like it that way - it's all about choosing sides in arguments that are neither black nor white but painted that way by professional politicians.

As for the article referred to, the accused's mother was making the point that for years the family's plea for proper care for the daughter's mental condition has fallen on the deaf ears of politicians and other governmental hacks.
Lol I think we finally found something we can both agree on!

As far as mental health services go I will give you that one. As I recall the sandy hook shooter’s mom tried to have her son committed several times as well, but was either denied or ignored every time. Another big problem it seems next to nothing has been done about except lip service

Old 01-06-2020, 05:57 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Re: Mental Health Services.

I have a question. Back in the stone ages of Willowbrook the families simply institutionalized the family member and they were essentially (for many) forgotten. We as a public, with a lot of credit to Geraldo Rivera, realized the error of our ways and things changed. So now I have the very same question as I do with things like peanut allergies, and autism. Why are there so many people that are suffering with mental illness? Did we have all three of these, when I grew up? Sure, but, I don't recall it being to the same degree. I knew 2 kids that were on medications when I grew up and that was all. Today, every other student is on medication.

So why? Societal? Environmental? Parental? What???

Old 01-06-2020, 06:32 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Societal.
Everyone is special and deserves to be like all the "normal" people.
It's also a crutch to make parents feel better about their butthole kid. Label the kid and throw meds at him and it excuses the real fact that he is just a moron or a butthole.

The alergy thing? Not sure what that's all about.
Something new to me over the last 15-20 years.
Growing up, I never knew, or even heard of anyone with one of these wacky food allergies.
Maybe a kid who couldn't handle milk once in a while but that was it.

And, the fact that everyone else has to, and needs to suffer because of a few kids is ridiculous. Because 1 kid has a peanut allergy nobody else can have anything with nuts or have had any contact with nuts. It's not fair.
Mr. Spock said it best, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

Old 01-06-2020, 07:56 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Sooooo stupid.
What morons are voting for these clowns?
It just gets more bizarre every day.

The ones who are committing these crimes.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Re: Mental Health Services.

I have a question. Back in the stone ages of Willowbrook the families simply institutionalized the family member and they were essentially (for many) forgotten. We as a public, with a lot of credit to Geraldo Rivera, realized the error of our ways and things changed. So now I have the very same question as I do with things like peanut allergies, and autism. Why are there so many people that are suffering with mental illness? Did we have all three of these, when I grew up? Sure, but, I don't recall it being to the same degree. I knew 2 kids that were on medications when I grew up and that was all. Today, every other student is on medication.

So why? Societal? Environmental? Parental? What???
Solutions rather than causation:

Societal in that we've recognized that warehousing someone in Willowbrook type facilities is neither best for the patient, the family or the general population and was often unnecessary and very often more cruel than the conditions permitted for those convicted of the most heinous crimes.

Environmental in that giving those in need an environment that allows them to participate in the general population to the best of their abilities is advantageous to all.

Parental in that services are available that allow parents to assist in the care of their disable children rather than being faced with only the options of doing everything themselves or total institutionalization.

The hyperbole of which kids were then and are now on medication is totally faulty because people were more private then and did not hang their family laundry out in public. Simply because you didn't know who was taking behavior modifying drugs does not mean that only two kids were. And with medical privacy laws currently in effect there is no way to reliably determine who is taking them now.

Chances are, and there is probably research to support this, I would expect profound mental disabilities to be occurring at a lesser rate than fifty or sixty years ago due to advancement in medical research and improved prenatal care.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Societal.
Everyone is special and deserves to be like all the "normal" people.
It's also a crutch to make parents feel better about their butthole kid. Label the kid and throw meds at him and it excuses the real fact that he is just a moron or a butthole.

The alergy thing? Not sure what that's all about.
Something new to me over the last 15-20 years.
Growing up, I never knew, or even heard of anyone with one of these wacky food allergies.
Maybe a kid who couldn't handle milk once in a while but that was it.

And, the fact that everyone else has to, and needs to suffer because of a few kids is ridiculous. Because 1 kid has a peanut allergy nobody else can have anything with nuts or have had any contact with nuts. It's not fair.
Mr. Spock said it best, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."
Much research points to people much more carefully regulating access to different types of foods and adhering to extremely strict dietary regimens for children than ever before where without exposure the body does not become accustomed to exposure to things that may then cause problems. Desensitization studies have proven successful in introducing potential problem foods to patients in minute amounts until the body accepts them as normal.

While I believe that the affected individuals should bear the burden of isolation from that which their bodies cannot abide there is a difference between a child whose eyes may water in the presence of peanuts and one whose airway closes in a matter of seconds.

I refuse to take any medical or philosophical advice from science fiction figures.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:11 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
All that germophobe antibacterial stuff too.
It's all ass backwards. I guess makes sense why the allergies and lousy immune systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island