Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 11:09 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
How does industrial hemp farming remediate a 900' deep aquifer?!
It's up to you to read if you want.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...=1&oi=scholart

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 11:28 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Please no more talk of school district consolidation, It’s never happening. Township maybe countywide never. Many districts including mine would never in a billion years vote for it.
^^This^^

An out of state friend of mine lives in a county that consolidated their school districts and it has been a disaster. The overall performance of the consolidated district has declined so much that many parents choose to either (a) put their kids in private school if they can afford to, or (b) move to another county. And costs did not go down in any meaningful way after consolidation.

Here's two examples from an email link my friend sent me not long ago:

"Consolidating schools and changing boundaries are about as close as you can get to thermonuclear war in the school business" (from one of the current trustees)

"The district has seen enrollment drop over the past few decades from 180,000 students to about 157,000 now. Much of that decline is attributed to families leaving for charter schools. Projections show a further drop in students unless the district can continue attracting them back."

Interestingly, a pre-consolidation study done at the Dept of Education at one of his state's universities concluded that countywide consolidation would likely yield the following results:

Cost savings can be expected for consolidations involving small districts, but as the size of the consolidated district increases past 3,200 students, costs are expected to rise, not fall.

While there are many counties where all of the districts are sufficiently small to gain from consolidation, the existing districts in the specific counties under analysis already enjoy substantial economies of scale and would lose important incentives to behave efficiently were they to be consolidated. There is no reason to believe that this proposal would lead to improvements in student performance, and good reason to believe student performance would fall. The bottom line is that bigger is not always better.

The real-world result has been that his now-consolidated district either has closed or is considering closing more than 20 schools which means more and more kids are getting bussed to schools farther and farther away. Not what the parents envisioned when promised all of the "savings" and "improvements" that the consolidation was supposed to bring. And capital improvements still have to be funded by bond issues, nothing has changed in that regard.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 12-24-2019 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-24-2019, 12:03 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why is bioremediation a ridiculous suggestion? Please exapnd so that I can see your view.
They’ve already approved a half billion dollar plan to remediate the plume. So I guess “weed filtering” didn’t pass muster.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
^^This^^

An out of state friend of mine lives in a county that consolidated their school districts and it has been a disaster. The overall performance of the consolidated district has declined so much that many parents choose to either (a) put their kids in private school if they can afford to, or (b) move to another county. And costs did not go down in any meaningful way after consolidation.

Here's two examples from an email link my friend sent me not long ago:

"Consolidating schools and changing boundaries are about as close as you can get to thermonuclear war in the school business" (from one of the current trustees)

"The district has seen enrollment drop over the past few decades from 180,000 students to about 157,000 now. Much of that decline is attributed to families leaving for charter schools. Projections show a further drop in students unless the district can continue attracting them back."

Interestingly, a pre-consolidation study done at the Dept of Education at one of his state's universities concluded that countywide consolidation would likely yield the following results:

Cost savings can be expected for consolidations involving small districts, but as the size of the consolidated district increases past 3,200 students, costs are expected to rise, not fall.

While there are many counties where all of the districts are sufficiently small to gain from consolidation, the existing districts in the specific counties under analysis already enjoy substantial economies of scale and would lose important incentives to behave efficiently were they to be consolidated. There is no reason to believe that this proposal would lead to improvements in student performance, and good reason to believe student performance would fall. The bottom line is that bigger is not always better.

The real-world result has been that his now-consolidated district either has closed or is considering closing more than 20 schools which means more and more kids are getting bussed to schools farther and farther away. Not what the parents envisioned when promised all of the "savings" and "improvements" that the consolidation was supposed to bring. And capital improvements still have to be funded by bond issues, nothing has changed in that regard.
Yeah but that means that the county schools overall weren't s--t to begin with if consolidation can cause such a drastic decrease in services

Nassau currently has way more "good" districts than "bad" ones. People will still go to their zone schools anyway. Look this is why you're supposed to be paying these people - to work it out. We shouldn't even be giving them all these free ideas on C-D anyway. That's the equivalent of me hiring a contractor but he's making me hold the ladder and pass him stuff.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
They’ve already approved a half billion dollar plan to remediate the plume. So I guess “weed filtering” didn’t pass muster.
Their loss, would've had clean water and cheap clean fuel to boot. The only thing you can do with industrial hemp after it bioremediates the affected area is to turn it into fuel. Nobody would ever have to worry about how they're paying an electric bill ever again

Old 12-24-2019, 05:57 PM

Happy Holidays to all from your humble NYC MoD

We're getting screwed on this side too, just differently

Old 12-24-2019, 06:00 PM

In Bern Switzerland, (I believe its Bern), a favorite pasttime of the Bernese in the summer is to go swimming in the river that flows through the heart of the city - the water is that clean

I don't even know what major city in the entire US where that's possible. Food for thought.

Old 12-24-2019, 06:15 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
In Bern Switzerland, (I believe its Bern), a favorite pasttime of the Bernese in the summer is to go swimming in the river that flows through the heart of the city - the water is that clean

I don't even know what major city in the entire US where that's possible. Food for thought.
What you wouldn’t want to go for a swim in the Hudson? Lol! I think the NYPD dive teams practically use a space suit when diving there. Pretty sad. Happy holidays to you as well!

Old 12-24-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
What you wouldn’t want to go for a swim in the Hudson? Lol! I think the NYPD dive teams practically use a space suit when diving there. Pretty sad. Happy holidays to you as well!
Space suit

I dont mean to laugh, those guys get credit, they're better than me, they put their lives on the line, I'll pay taxes for that

NYPD is damn near military, they are on another level, they get props from me for what they do

Old 12-24-2019, 07:52 PM

18 posts, read 8,288 times
Schools should consolidate. People still believe schools are the reason to success. And since people believe in that, they place all their hope into it and pay those school taxes, but the renters... dont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island