Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:51 AM

31 posts, read 136,953 times

Advertisements

I’m hoping this forum will help provide us with some insight. We are seriously considering moving to Long Beach/Lido area. My husband and I are from Westchester so we’re not too familiar with Long Beach. My husband works in Carle Place and after my maternity leave I’ll work in Manhattan. How’s the traffic coming in from Westchester during the summer, and over all in town? What about during the winter with the snow? I understand there is only one road leading in and out; I don’t want it to be inconvenient for our friends and family to visit us. Another question is this area nice for raising a baby. Not too concerned about school system more so day care at this point.

I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 01:18 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,859,170 times
You actually have three routes to choose from when coming & going from Long Beach.

The first is from Route 878 (aka proposed Nassau Expwy). From points north like Westchester you would acces this from the Van Wyck Expwy onto the Nassau Expwy which is also Rockaway Blvd in Queens (turns into Rockaway Tpke in Nassau) which leads back into 878. sounds confusing but it really a straight run. Take the Atlantic Beach bridge onto the Long Beach island. The traffic on the Whitestone Bridge/VanWyck can be pretty bad at times but it is the most direct route.

Second is the Southern State Pkwy to exit 17S taking Ocean Ave (through Malverne, Lynbrook & East Rockaway) into Lawson Blvd (Oceanside) to Daly Blvd then down through Island Park on Austin Blvd into Long Beach. A little out of the way but can be a more pleasant ride than through Queens. If you live in the east end of LB or Lido you would avoid all the lights going through Atlantic Beach & the west end.

Lastly, you have the Loop Pkwy which would lead you into the Meadowbrook Pkwy. If you are travelling to points east or northshore I would recommend this route. It is quite pleasant. But coming from Westchester it would be too far out of the way unless you lived in Pt Lookout or the eastern part of Lido. This is the ideal route for your husband to get to Carle Place.... should only be about 30 minutes or less.

Summer would worse than winter months due to the beach traffic, particularly on the weekends.

It has been a long while since we needed daycare but when we did we were fortunate enough to find mothers who watched kids in the home locally. I have a friend who used a daycare facility in Oceanside (at the YMCA maybe?). There is a daycare at the Community Center on Magnolia Blvd but I cannot say one way or the other about it. I think it is difficult to get into, though.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:11 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,920,879 times
Even if you're on the Long Beach/Lido border the Loop is the fastest route (my grandmother lives there and I've learnt from experience). Getting to the Southern State going up Long Beach Blvd/Austin Blvd is slow, and I don't recommend the Atlantic Beach route unless you live in the West End or Atlantic Beach. That said, I would avoid the Loop on summer weekends--beach traffic can back up from the entry gates.

no idea on daycare but FYI the Y in Oceanside is a JCC not a YMCA, if that makes any difference to you.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:01 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,482,144 times
Long Beach Road is where most of the commercial trucking comes into Long Beach & Island Park off Sunrise Highway and gets pretty backed up, but that back roads route baylovers suggested isn't bad at all. The Meadowbrook Parkway (and getting to it from the SSP) can be worse than any of them depending on what time of the day and what season it is.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,591,763 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Long Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fords05 View Post
We are seriously considering moving to Long Beach/Lido area.

For those who may not be familiar with Long Beach:

Long Beach is a city (chartered in 1922) located on Long Beach Island in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the City of Long Beach is bordered on the north by Hewlett Bay and Reynolds Channel; on the east by the Hamlet of Lido Beach in the Town of Hempstead; on the south by the Atlantic Ocean; and, on the west by the Hamlet of East Atlantic Beach in the Town of Hempstead.

The City of Long Beach has a different border than does the "Long Beach, NY 11561" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Long Beach, NY 11561" mailing address and not be in the City of Long Beach): places that have a "Long Beach, NY 1561" mailing address that are not in the City of Long Beach are in the Hamlet of East Atlantic Beach and the Hamlet of Lido Beach, both of these hamlets are in the Town of Hempstead.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 04-23-2008, 12:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,591,763 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Lido Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fords05 View Post
We are seriously considering moving to Long Beach/Lido area.

For those who may not be familiar with Lido Beach:

Lido Beach is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) on the east part of Long Beach Island in the central-south section of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Lido Beach in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by East Channel and Reynolds Channel; on the east by the Hamlet of Point Lookout; on the south by the Atlantic Ocean; and, on the west by the City of Long Beach.

Lido Beach is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Lido Beach have a "Long Beach, NY 11561" and "Point Lookout, NY 11569" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 04-24-2008, 06:23 PM

189 posts, read 631,216 times
I had to register so I can respond to this thread.
I actually just moved to Long Beach and I work in Carle Place.
The best way is to take Loop to the meadowbrook then you get off at Old Country Road.
It takes me anywhere from 20 to 35 minutes depending on traffic and time of day. Moving to Long Beach was the best decision I ever made.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:51 PM

31 posts, read 136,953 times
Anthony, thanks for the info. Just wondering why do you say "Moving to Long Beach was the best decision you ever made"?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:12 AM

12 posts, read 68,121 times
my son will be working in Far Rockaway, so would have to take the Atlantic beach bridge- you say that there is a lot of traffic in the summer- how about winter- and what does a lot mean- I'm from So Cal and there is always traffic on the freeways here. Is there a long delay because of the bridge? Also the OP asked about snow- I also want to know about that and I am curious if the streets flood also.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:13 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,859,170 times
A few streets on the west end get flooded with very heavy rain, but it is infrequent. They have replaced some of the sewer gates in the canals are where there was often flooding during heavy rain which has alleviated that situation.

The traffic on the bridge is minuscule compared to California or the LIE or any of the bridge into Manhattan, and is really only an issue on the weekends during the summer or when the bridge opens to let a vessel through. A trip to St John's hospital from the center of Long Beach shouldn't be more than 10 minutes.

I always chuckled when I drove in the snow. You could always tell where the NYC line was. The snow was always plowed better up until the city line on Rte 878 then it was crap shoot after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island