Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2020, 08:41 AM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Lol, you know you’ve had a full cup of haterade when you try and bad mouth Long Island beaches!! Get a life!!
I drink it by the gallon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 08:51 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,539 times
/\ and a couple of other prominent posters. Did you guys hear shrooms cures anxiety and depression? Let’s go!!!

Old 01-29-2020, 09:00 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,765,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
So true. The best pizza I ever had in my life was in Atlanta, GA. Its not the water. Most of the water in LI and NJ is polluted anyway.

NYC/LI/NJ pizza used to be all the rage. I find it all sucks now. Large food conglomerates supply most of the pizza places now, with Hormel shelf-stable meats used as meatballs and pepperoni. Grandma Maria isn't making this stuff anymore, a slaughterhouse in NC is sending this stuff to a chemical plant to spray it with preservatives and mix it with soybeans and pink slime. Slap an Italian name on the bag and ship it out.

BHT, BHA, MSG, sodium nitrite, textured soy protein. That's a homemade NY meatball nowadays.
All completely subjective and anecdotal nonsense. Some people think dominoes is the best pizza too...

Old 01-29-2020, 10:49 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,101,159 times
...I used to think my Mother's English Muffin pizzas were the best.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:13 AM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
...I used to think my Mother's English Muffin pizzas were the best.
Nothing wrong with an Irish pizza.
Whatever bread and cheese product are in your fridge, some sauce out of the jar and you're good to go. Slap it all together and toss it in the toaster oven or microwave and yum yum good!

Old 01-29-2020, 11:55 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Lol, you know you’ve had a full cup of haterade when you try and bad mouth Long Island beaches!! Get a life!!
Maybe it's not badmouthing the beaches themselves, but the many thousands of people invading them?

I've never been out to Fire Island but hear the beaches there are nice. Are they less crowded than Jones Beach on a hot day?

Old 01-29-2020, 01:39 PM

1,107 posts, read 551,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Maybe it's not badmouthing the beaches themselves, but the many thousands of people invading them?

I've never been out to Fire Island but hear the beaches there are nice. Are they less crowded than Jones Beach on a hot day?
"Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded." -Yogi Berra

Old 01-29-2020, 02:41 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I like Nj & Ct.

Nothing wrong with those places.

Nj doesnt have 24hr trains into the city so thats one thing in favor of living on LI. Not that ppl take the train into the city late at night/early morning but it’s convenient when you need it. I once had to go into my office @ 2am to deal with a client in China.

Not sure MNR hours. I like Ct a bit more than Nj, I don’t like the whole express/local stuff on their parkways. I always end missing the exit I need

But ... they have wawa so thats something
So *why* would I want to live on Long Island, when NJ & CT is, at the very worst, a lateral move?

At the local level, NJ is run better than her peers on Long Island, and the cost for services is lower. Jersey schools are equal to her LI counterparts, so why should I live on Long Island?

Take Monmouth County, for example: the area is rife with well run parks and open land, and I have access to 12 lanes of highway - the Garden State Parkway. Rush hour in Jersey is a lot shorter than it is on Long Island; I am not bound by bridges in NJ. Employment centers in NJ are far better than her LI counterparts.

I don't mean to be incendiary, but what's so great about Long Island? Why should I want to live there?

Long Island's strengths are her natural beauty and her people. But what ruins the whole thing, is a government that's so expensive, so mismanaged, and, in some jurisdictions, corrupt.

The people who leave Long Island, and there are many, aren't leaving the area because of the Island's natural beauty, her architecture, nor her lack of dining and shopping options.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:36 PM

30 posts, read 17,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
So *why* would I want to live on Long Island, when NJ & CT is, at the very worst, a lateral move?

At the local level, NJ is run better than her peers on Long Island, and the cost for services is lower. Jersey schools are equal to her LI counterparts, so why should I live on Long Island?

Take Monmouth County, for example: the area is rife with well run parks and open land, and I have access to 12 lanes of highway - the Garden State Parkway. Rush hour in Jersey is a lot shorter than it is on Long Island; I am not bound by bridges in NJ. Employment centers in NJ are far better than her LI counterparts.

I don't mean to be incendiary, but what's so great about Long Island? Why should I want to live there?

Long Island's strengths are her natural beauty and her people. But what ruins the whole thing, is a government that's so expensive, so mismanaged, and, in some jurisdictions, corrupt.

The people who leave Long Island, and there are many, aren't leaving the area because of the Island's natural beauty, her architecture, nor her lack of dining and shopping options.
Majority of the people WILL leave. First. The working class has to go, and then the people here who get paid 150k+ will go as those jobs will leave to cheaper states, but one thing at a time.

Dont bother people here. They will fight till they die broke.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:29 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,823,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Nothing wrong with an Irish pizza.
Whatever bread and cheese product are in your fridge, some sauce out of the jar and you're good to go. Slap it all together and toss it in the toaster oven or microwave and yum yum good!
My motto for years has been "even bad pizza is good eatin'."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island