Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2020, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,572 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I have recently bought a house in Franklin Square ( Town of Hempstead) . I bought the house with a few non permitted items , something the seller did not disclose during the sale. The Bathroom was fully renovated and the previous owner never filed for a permit. Once i took ownership of the house I renovated the kitchen, 4 new recessed lights , 4 GFCI countertop outlets, and kitchen cabinets. The reason i didnt get a permit for the kitchen is because i asked my neighbors and everyone i asked said they renovated their kitchen without a permit, I know several wrongs doesn't make its right. This spring i want to do the right thing and file for a permit to build a basement egress door with a full walkout staircase on the side of my house. My question is , if the work being done is outside and in the basement, can the T.O.H. building inspector ask to access other parts of my house, like the first and second floors? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 10:25 AM

732 posts, read 883,072 times
They can ask and you can deny access.
Just let them through the side entrance to the basement and lock/block the 1st floor.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:16 AM

87 posts, read 99,290 times
You only need permits if you are removing walls. A renovated bathroom isn’t going to raise any flags nor will a kitchen since these sound like cosmetic changes. Changing a few outlets also don’t require a permit.

The inspector will not wonder off or open any doors. They will ask if they are suspicious and you can say no. The only think you need to worry about if anything is in your basement and most likely it will be blocked off due to the dust from the cut of the door.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:30 PM

67 posts, read 150,679 times
Default Building Permit.

JustDoITNY,

I sent you a DM...…..

Old 01-07-2020, 04:14 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Renovated kitchen and baths won’t raise any flags.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,572 times
After speaking to an expeditor and an architect, it turns house i will most likely not be able to build a basement egress door with a staircase walkout. The reasoning is from my house wall to my property line i have only 5 feet. The walkout site plans require approximately 42" plus another 36" minimum from the end of the walkout staircase to my fence. My only option is to file for a variance permit but the chances of those types of permits being accepted by the town a slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: