Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 06:15 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times

Advertisements

I noticed some fresh gang tagging on Belmont Ave area, west of Post Ave today by MS-13. They even got the side of of a private home, which is unusual as they usually just tag commercial property of fences.
Gentrifying to the better? Not so sure.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:17 PM

525 posts, read 2,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post

And phooey on anyone who says pitbulls are as good as any other dog. That is horse manure. These dogs were bred to kill. Their temperaments match the breeding. They aren't good dogs. There are exceptions to every rule, but they are exceptions.

Pure ignorance and sheeple mentality listening to the idiot media. The breed is not the problem, the species is......the human species. If you took the time to learn before you spout, you would read your history of the breed and learn that this breed was bred specifically to PROTECT humans.

While I agree that this is a very bad and unacceptable situation for John, the dog is not at fault, the fault lies with the POS that created the dog's life (BYB or tough guy breeding his two pits chained in the back), the POS that owns the dog and never took the time to get off their lazy azz and train the dog, socialize the dog, and I bet NEUTER the dog, and the lazy Animal Control that did not do anything about the situation that led up to this.

John, I know how scary and troublesome this is for you, and I appreciate your seeing past the dog to the larger problem.

I hope for all involved that this is resolved non-violently and quickly and peacefully. Afterall, we all know that if enough stink is made, enough people get hurt, the dog will be put down-and the POS owners will have nothing done to them. John, the dog, and any other person the dog harms are the victims, when the ONLY guilty parties are the human that own the dog that will go out and get another pit and let the same thing happen again and again.

And BTW, Sheps, Rotts, Dobies and Pits-among many other "big, bad, and scary" breeds are the best breeds and dogs I have met in my 40+ years. The designer BYB mix um up and spit um out pocket victims, I mean dogs, the ankle bitters, and the little rat terriers are the ones, in my lifetime, that have caused more trouble and damage. So, NY Newbie I again suggest expanding your dog horizons, make a judgement based on actual animals you have met with RESPONSIBLE, caring owners. Don't broadbrush breeds based on HUMAN STUPIDITY! You may actually find the most loyal, loving, best friend in the world that way.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:39 PM

245 posts, read 298,356 times
Default The Myth of Bad Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Pure ignorance and sheeple mentality listening to the idiot media. The breed is not the problem, the species is......the human species. If you took the time to learn before you spout, you would read your history of the breed and learn that this breed was bred specifically to PROTECT humans.

While I agree that this is a very bad and unacceptable situation for John, the dog is not at fault, the fault lies with the POS that created the dog's life (BYB or tough guy breeding his two pits chained in the back), the POS that owns the dog and never took the time to get off their lazy azz and train the dog, socialize the dog, and I bet NEUTER the dog, and the lazy Animal Control that did not do anything about the situation that led up to this.

John, I know how scary and troublesome this is for you, and I appreciate your seeing past the dog to the larger problem.

I hope for all involved that this is resolved non-violently and quickly and peacefully. Afterall, we all know that if enough stink is made, enough people get hurt, the dog will be put down-and the POS owners will have nothing done to them. John, the dog, and any other person the dog harms are the victims, when the ONLY guilty parties are the human that own the dog that will go out and get another pit and let the same thing happen again and again.

And BTW, Sheps, Rotts, Dobies and Pits-among many other "big, bad, and scary" breeds are the best breeds and dogs I have met in my 40+ years. The designer BYB mix um up and spit um out pocket victims, I mean dogs, the ankle bitters, and the little rat terriers are the ones, in my lifetime, that have caused more trouble and damage. So, NY Newbie I again suggest expanding your dog horizons, make a judgement based on actual animals you have met with RESPONSIBLE, caring owners. Don't broadbrush breeds based on HUMAN STUPIDITY! You may actually find the most loyal, loving, best friend in the world that way.
Pit Bulls were raised to fight, not to protect humans. Besides, if you were right - that they were bred to protect humans - then you concede my point. Protecting a human means being poised to fight.

Studies show that temperament is a function of breeding (see the Russian silver fox study).

That aside:

1) History/Origin (http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/americanpitbullterrier.html): (broken link)
His ancestors were brought to the Unites States in the mid - 1800's by Boston-Irish immigrants. Originally bred from a variety of bulldogs and terriers, American breeders increased his weight and gave him a more powerful head. A forbearer to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, they were originally bred to be a fighting dog. Bull baiting was banned in England in 1835 and these dogs are no longer been bred to fights. There is some complication in registries of this breed. The AKC considers the American Staffordshire Terrier as separate and distinct from the American Pit Bull Terrier, yet the UKC will register both as American Pit Bull Terriers (APBTs).

2) Dogs bred in England for the specific purposes of fighting have been banned by England's Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs. Pit Bulls, developed in England, are on their list of dangerous animals.

3) Pit Bulls cause a disproportionate amount of harm:
Scared of Pit Bulls? You’d Better Be! by Brian C. Anderson, City Journal Spring 1999

According to the Centers for Disease Control, dogs bite 4 million to 5 million Americans every year. Few attacks are fatal (25 in 1996), but serious injuries—everything from a gash in the arm requiring a few stitches to severed hands and fractured skulls—continue to rise and now stand at more than 750,000 annually, up nearly 40 percent from 1986. Dog bites are one of the top causes of non-fatal injuries in the nation.

Children are the most frequent victims, accounting for 60 percent of the dog bites and 20 of the 25 dog-bite fatalities in 1996. Dog attacks are now the No. 1 reason that children wind up in hospital emergency rooms. Incredibly, nearly half of all American kids have been bitten by the age of 12. The Humane Society of the United States estimates that more than $100 million gets spent yearly treating dog bites in the nation's emergency rooms, and U.S. insurance companies paid out $250 million in dog-bite liability claims in 1996.

Pit bulls and pit-bull crosses (not always easy to distinguish) have caused more than a third of the nation's dog-bite fatalities since 1979 and a comparable proportion of serious injuries. The rising number of attacks, and the unease pit bulls and other dangerous dogs cause in public spaces, have spurred many municipalities to crack down with legislation ranging from muzzle laws to bans on pit bulls and certain other breeds.

Now if you would like to come armed with something other than conjecture about some sweet pit bull you know, then let's compare notes. Otherwise, stop spreading the myth of nice pit bulls.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:27 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Exactly; sweet pits, rotties, etc seem to be the exception rather then the norm when it comes to me. 9/10 times I have personally seen a dog go loco its either a Pit Bull, Rottie, Doberman, etc. Maybe its just that those dogs are seen as status symbols among the criminals in our society but thee is definitely an abnormal amount of them that attack.

Some dogs just should not be allowed to be owned. I for one would not care one bit if their was a national ban on owning certain dogs .... I would actually be happy.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 AM

222 posts, read 892,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I noticed some fresh gang tagging on Belmont Ave area, west of Post Ave today by MS-13. They even got the side of of a private home, which is unusual as they usually just tag commercial property of fences.
Gentrifying to the better? Not so sure.
While that may be true, they are all over long island...in many case just below the surface. VTP posted on another site that that same "tagging" was seen across from the Haborfields High school. Bodies (2) have been found in the woods---one in Bethpage and one in Old Westbury related to MS-13 executions. A man was murdered in North Massapequa by an MS-13 gang member....

My point is where are you going to run to next? They are in the suburbs and not necessarily in poor-downtrodden areas. They are organized and they hold jobs. Many try to recruit day-laborors to their cause.

So let's wake here and not pretend like this stuff "only" exists in Westbury.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
While that may be true, they are all over long island...in many case just below the surface. VTP posted on another site that that same "tagging" was seen across from the Haborfields High school. Bodies (2) have been found in the woods---one in Bethpage and one in Old Westbury related to MS-13 executions. A man was murdered in North Massapequa by an MS-13 gang member....

My point is where are you going to run to next? They are in the suburbs and not necessarily in poor-downtrodden areas. They are organized and they hold jobs. Many try to recruit day-laborors to their cause.

So let's wake here and not pretend like this stuff "only" exists in Westbury.
I don't think anyone here said this stuff "only" happens in Westbury. John in Westbury was simply lamenting some of the undesirable changes that have happened to his neighborhood. In his eyes and the eyes of many other people, Westbury has become a less desirable place to live because of these changes.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:02 AM

222 posts, read 892,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I don't think anyone here said this stuff "only" happens in Westbury. John in Westbury was simply lamenting some of the undesirable changes that have happened to his neighborhood. In his eyes and the eyes of many other people, Westbury has become a less desirable place to live because of these changes.

Yes, but these changes exist all over L.I.--- and the country for that matter. So by your logic where should we all go where it's reasonably affordable with no possible chance of gang activity?

Look at G.C. or Rockville Centre they both immediatley border Hempstead-which is known for MS-13/gang activity. Do you think these folks don't drive or walk through some of these areas? Once you cross a street you are now in potentially known gang territory...

I think a better discussion would be how communities work with law enforcement to eradicate the problem...because it's everyone's problem...

Old 04-23-2008, 09:28 AM

It was a post on Westbury, that's why there wasn't a debate about gangs encroaching into suburbia nationally. I would imagine that post would probably be included in the politics or immigrations forums.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 23,939 times
Exclamation are you kidding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
I don't get it, but I'm seeing as many pitbulls around East Northport as I did around Central Florida. Central Florida is filled with idiots, so I don't get it. I counted three people walking the neighborhood with them, and two rottweilers (spelling?). When I was a boy, the toughest dog you could get was a Doberman. Most people had beagles and collies. I think this reflects a larger sickness in our cultures, where everything must be extreme and badass. I can't wait for everyone to figure out that the economic roller-coaster we are on is more extreme and badass than their intrained killer pitbulls.

And phooey on anyone who says pitbulls are as good as any other dog. That is horse manure. These dogs were bred to kill. Their temperaments match the breeding. They aren't good dogs. There are exceptions to every rule, but they are exceptions.
I am the PROUD owner of a well trained, loving pitbull. All pitbulls are not evil, destructive creatures. Most of them are very loving, loyal family pets. If a dog ( any dog) wants to do damage it will... so to pick on pitbulls like you have is rotten. There are bad apples everywhere, people included... to base a whole breed on one animal's behavior is beyond ridiculous, it shows how misinformed some people can be about the breed. Pitbulls historically may have been bred to kill and used for entertainment & gambling, but that is not their role in today's society. Some dogs are still unfortunately maliciously trained to fight but that is not ALL of them! The owner dictates much in how they are raised and not enough people acknowledge this fact. All dog owners should be responsible, all parents should be responsible... but we don't exactly have that in today's society either do we?

Too bad we can't wipe out the trashy, violent people that make the rest of us look bad like people talk about doing to certain breeds of animals.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:26 AM

245 posts, read 298,356 times
Default You are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbullmommy View Post
I am the PROUD owner of a well trained, loving pitbull. All pitbulls are not evil, destructive creatures. Most of them are very loving, loyal family pets. If a dog ( any dog) wants to do damage it will... so to pick on pitbulls like you have is rotten. There are bad apples everywhere, people included... to base a whole breed on one animal's behavior is beyond ridiculous, it shows how misinformed some people can be about the breed. Pitbulls historically may have been bred to kill and used for entertainment & gambling, but that is not their role in today's society. Some dogs are still unfortunately maliciously trained to fight but that is not ALL of them! The owner dictates much in how they are raised and not enough people acknowledge this fact. All dog owners should be responsible, all parents should be responsible... but we don't exactly have that in today's society either do we?

Too bad we can't wipe out the trashy, violent people that make the rest of us look bad like people talk about doing to certain breeds of animals.
You are wrong on a number of counts. First and foremost, these dogs are disproportionately harmful. In terms of fatal incidents, their numbers far greater than they ought to be, if all things are equal. I've evidence this fact for you in the previous post, but you both chose to ignore that while insisting that I am "misinformed."

Second, I have granted that not all pit bulls are, as you put it, "destructive creatures." Let me point out, however, that "not all pit bulls are destructive creatures" isn't much of a defense. Some people are immune to the pague, but that doesn't mean it isn't a deadly disease. Likewise, you may have trained and properly loved your pet, enabling it to overcome its hard-wired tendencies. That doesn't deny the fact that it has hard-wired tendencies.

Third, even if I accept your unsupported conjectural premise that all dogs should be considered equal (which is like saying all felines are the same, so why not have a lion in your house?), I'd much rather be charged by a ****zu or a beagle than a pit bull. Even if improperly trained, they are more likely to just damage my clothing than my body, or my son's body.

But you don't care about all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island