Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 08:56 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times

Advertisements

Way too much for Baldwin.
Keep looking.
Might be a very nice home but I would never ever pay that much for Baldwin unless...it has Oceanside schools. And that would limit it to a certain area anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 08:56 AM

19 posts, read 8,503 times
if I had a chance I will simply stay away from Baldwin / valley stream etc. If you tune in to News 12 , 75 % of the crime related news are for that area in Nassau. Yes Brentwood takes the cake in Suffolk.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:04 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
The 700k house in Baldwin would cost 950 or 1mil in Merrick. Living in a brand new construction does have some benefits that outweigh living in a POS tract built house in Merrick. Baldwin elementary schools are very good as well.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:08 AM

24 posts, read 19,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Don't want to sound like your granny, but if you do your home work it should not be nerve wracking. First, you should write a list of Needs vs Wants. Needs being what you MUST have to buy the house and Wants being what you would love to have in addition to the needs.

Then narrow the area down to a few towns. You seem to have done that part but now are not satisfied with what you are finding. Could be that you need to do your homework to narrow and area down better.

Try Albertson, Williston Park and Mineola. The budget will be tight but you should find something.

I will keep doing my homework and i will look into the areas you mentioned... thank you

Old 01-09-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg2012 View Post
There is an area in Westbury called Salisbury with East Meadow School District. Close to Eisenhower Park. Direct LIRR to Manhattan. Close to shopping / beach / malls / city. Nice peaceful neighborhood and affordable housing for your budget.

thank you I will look into this area

Old 01-09-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Way too much for Baldwin.
Keep looking.
Might be a very nice home but I would never ever pay that much for Baldwin unless...it has Oceanside schools. And that would limit it to a certain area anyway.

Yes...I will keep looking.... the house is beautiful but something keeps telling me they are asking for too much for that area.... thank you

Old 01-09-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg2012 View Post
if I had a chance I will simply stay away from Baldwin / valley stream etc. If you tune in to News 12 , 75 % of the crime related news are for that area in Nassau. Yes Brentwood takes the cake in Suffolk.

and that's my fear... i'm trying to avoid that type of environment...

Old 01-09-2020, 09:30 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
I wonder if they didn’t add a picture of the front of the house on Zillow because it’s such a small narrow plot.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:41 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Nassau is riddled with crime.
Fortunately, it's mostly petty property type crimes. Theft, burglary, vandalism, etc...

Violent crime is not something the average citizen has to worry about. Unless you work in a bank, 7-11, and such, it's mostly a non issue.
Lotta bad stuff does happen but it's not really stuff *you* need to worry about.

The next door neighbor chopping up the family with an axe is not your problem, yes it's a violent and disturbing incident but it was never a danger to you. Things like the kid being murdered in Oceanside do happen, but again, the chances of something like that happening to, or directly affecting you, are slim.

You are far more likely to have some kids knock down your ugly pvc fence or vandalize your car.
Porch pirating is common. Breaking into and robbing your vehicle or shed could happen.
But again, as common as this stuff is, the chances of it happening to you are low.

The ever increasing property taxes are perhaps the biggest issue you will face.

Most of Baldwin is fine, typical dead average suburbia. Same with Valley Stream, Lynbrook, etc...

Old 01-09-2020, 10:09 AM

19 posts, read 8,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki520 View Post
thank you I will look into this area

The zip code is 11590. Boundaries of the area need to be well researched as all schools of East Meadow are not exactly same though very safe to say the least. Bowling Green Elementary school and WT Clarke Middle and High School make it a good combo and WT Clarke is a Blue Ribbon school in the area and highly rated.

Eisenhower Park in the vicinity gives it a neat graceful look. Amenities are all nearby but place is well shielded and has a proper suburban quiet look one is looking. A direct LIRR train from West-bury is 40 mins to Manhattan. On a good offpeak day one can drive into Manhattan within 25 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island