Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 05:25 PM

24 posts, read 19,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
“On” LI.

How far out are you willing to go? The further east the more you get for your money.

Oppss yikes! thanks for correcting me.
Not too far to be honest.. that's why they were showing me houses in the areas mentioned in my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 05:29 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki520 View Post
Well my dad love any store... lol.. crafting stores, clothing stores, etc.. They actually like to go to the gym and exercise...nothing crazy .

I dont mind living in a diverse neighborhood as long as they are not ghetto or problematic
Oceanside has Michaels, Kohls, Old Navy ... 2 shopping ctr right across the street from eachother. I love Merrick but there are no big box stores if thats their thing

Old 01-08-2020, 05:31 PM

24 posts, read 19,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
Rockville Centre is lovely -- lots to do, nice town, near transportation -- and a great school district, but it's an incorporated village, so the taxes are higher. Just be sure to consider that in relation to your budget. Merrick is nice as well, and close to Jones Beach. Regarding Baldwin, you say you want a peaceful area. Not sure peaceful is how I'd describe the area near Sunrise Highway/Grand Ave. A lot of commercial activity, traffic, and the LIRR right there.

Yes I noticed is a very active area but is the area bad like scary to walk around :/
in another thread people were saying that they were getting robbed, and bad kids smoking weed, etc etc... so that's pretty much what i don't want to deal with lol....

I will do my search in Merrick.... thanks

Old 01-08-2020, 06:26 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki520 View Post
Yes I noticed is a very active area but is the area bad like scary to walk around :/
in another thread people were saying that they were getting robbed, and bad kids smoking weed, etc etc... so that's pretty much what i don't want to deal with lol....

I will do my search in Merrick.... thanks
Robbery/burglary, weed/drugs etc, all normal stuff for all of south shore Nassau. I wouldn't worry too much. Violent crimes like getting shot, stabbed, hacked up with a machete, that stuff is mostly confined to rougher neighborhoods and people attatched to those neighborhoods. But petty/property crime is common throughout ss Nassau.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:39 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Robbery/burglary, weed/drugs etc, all normal stuff for all of south shore Nassau. I wouldn't worry too much. Violent crimes like getting shot, stabbed, hacked up with a machete, that stuff is mostly confined to rougher neighborhoods and people attatched to those neighborhoods. But petty/property crime is common throughout ss Nassau.
Just buy a lot of crap no burglar would want ... thats what I do, lmao

Old 01-08-2020, 06:49 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Just buy a lot of crap no burglar would want ... thats what I do, lmao
Kinda like "have the worst house on the best block"

Old 01-08-2020, 08:41 PM

155 posts, read 101,118 times
A consideration for you might be square feet and bedrooms.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:07 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
You state that your "budget is $600,000".
Is that what a lender said, or is that what your goal is?

If you haven't done so already, I'd like to suggest you talk to a lender (some of us here can recommend good ones) and get a pre-approval. It'll take a couple of days, during which you should be asked to provide a variety of financial information. When that's done, the lender will be in a position to tell you what your budget is, including assumed real estate taxes as a guideline.

Remember this, on Long Island, the amount of the real estate taxes has an impact on the purchase price, so don't just look at the asking price. And let your RE agent help you! If s/he doesn't know how to do that, find another one.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:20 PM

450 posts, read 386,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
You state that your "budget is $600,000".
Is that what a lender said, or is that what your goal is?

If you haven't done so already, I'd like to suggest you talk to a lender (some of us here can recommend good ones) and get a pre-approval. It'll take a couple of days, during which you should be asked to provide a variety of financial information. When that's done, the lender will be in a position to tell you what your budget is, including assumed real estate taxes as a guideline.

Remember this, on Long Island, the amount of the real estate taxes has an impact on the purchase price, so don't just look at the asking price. And let your RE agent help you! If s/he doesn't know how to do that, find another one.

That's a good point, looking at a house for $560k vs $620k your monthly payment can vary greatly depending on taxes and other factors. I always go to county website and never rely on what listing has.

Elke, how realistic are the homeowner insurance estimates on places like Zillow? That's another factor Nikki needs to be aware of. I am seeing for $600-$800k houses showins $2500-$3000/year for HOI. That sounds pretty high. I don't pay nearly that much for 2-family property that's worth double those in the boroughs.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:32 PM

450 posts, read 386,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post

Do Nassau and Suffolk have the same gun laws? How many people have shotguns in their houses these days? Or did it become more difficult to buy them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island