Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 3,122 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. I want some advice on the Hicksville area and surrounding towns. My family and I are looking to possibly relocate there in a few months. We currently live in Moriches and we've done a tone of research over the past year. I wanted to move further west on the island or Queens but I have to settle for Nassau County. It'll be my wife, 3 kids (only 2 are with us most of the time). We are looking for a 3 bedroom home and don't mind small lots or need a huge house not that that's affordable on LI anyway. I work in the city so Hicksville station is important to me. She works in Smithtown so being close to LIE To get back east is important too. Trying to stay around $3000/month for a 3 bedroom house. I've looked so I've seen some things available. If anyone has input on schools, daycares, quality of life, things to do, growing up there in general or just what you think of that area it be great to know your thoughts and if there are any places, roads or certain sides of town you don't want to live on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 03:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB87 View Post
Hello Everyone. I want some advice on the Hicksville area and surrounding towns. My family and I are looking to possibly relocate there in a few months. We currently live in Moriches and we've done a tone of research over the past year. I wanted to move further west on the island or Queens but I have to settle for Nassau County. It'll be my wife, 3 kids (only 2 are with us most of the time). We are looking for a 3 bedroom home and don't mind small lots or need a huge house not that that's affordable on LI anyway. I work in the city so Hicksville station is important to me. She works in Smithtown so being close to LIE To get back east is important too. Trying to stay around $3000/month for a 3 bedroom house. I've looked so I've seen some things available. If anyone has input on schools, daycares, quality of life, things to do, growing up there in general or just what you think of that area it be great to know your thoughts and if there are any places, roads or certain sides of town you don't want to live on.
rent or buy?

also you are currently commuting from Moriches to the city? wow.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:37 PM

[quote=Jdawg8181;57065326]rent or buy?

also you are currently commuting from Moriches to the city? wow.[/QUOTE

Yep. Currently at 2 years. Some days driving, some days train and some days both but all days crappy.
We will be renting for now.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:00 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
If you're thinking of moving to Hicksville, be aware there is a large development planned on the former Sears site on North Broadway, opposite the Broadway Mall. Plans for approx 400 apartments, stores, large movie theater, 24 hour gym.
I have also been reading about a master plan for the downtown area. Possible big happenings in the next few years. One art deco building has already been converted to apartments. Since it's the busiest station on the LIRR, the area adjacent to the station is expected to transform into a "new downtown".
That said, there are plenty of nice neighborhoods in Hicksville, and it's a great commute to NYC. If you miss a rush hour train , another one is coming within minutes.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:28 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Hi MikeyB87,

If you've been doing your research, you've seen that a $3,000 maximum is difficult for a whole house rental; there is one with one bathroom and another with two--that's it.
$3,200 will get you two more options; it goes up from there. Oh and utilities are not included.

Do you have a pet? That reduces availability more

FYI, MLSLI gives you the most current information.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:19 PM

376 posts, read 310,178 times
I recommend south Hicksville. Not so much North.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:43 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Since your renting check neighboring Bethpage and Plainview also. May find a smaller house in that price range for rent. Bethpage has a train station Plainview doesn’t. Both are easy drives to Hicksville. Generally bethpage and Plainview schools are regarded as “better” than Hicksville. There is nothing wrong with them. Some parts of Bethpage go to plainedge or island trees schools, the rents in these districts tend to be a bit cheaper both districts are fine. Plenty of daycares around.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:04 PM

36 posts, read 32,215 times
The area of Hicksville behind Broadway Commons has smaller, more affordable homes to rent or buy. It's also possible to walk to the railroad from there (a huge plus). In contrast, if you move to Island Trees or Levittown, you won't be able to get a parking permit for the Hicksville station because those villages are not in Town of Oyster Bay. Hicksville has the largest number of trains going into the city. The other stations don't compare. I've lived in and around Hicksville for 40 years. It's one of the more affordable low crime, convenient areas in Nassau County with safe, decent quality schools and without parking problems (except if you get on the train after 630 am).

Old 01-10-2020, 10:33 PM

46 posts, read 78,170 times
Go to FB and read the Save Our Hicksville page and Town of Oyster Bay News page. Inside and very up to date information.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
I recommend south Hicksville. Not so much North.
I’ve been told stay south of old country rd but no idea why. Just nicer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island