Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2020, 11:10 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It's ok I guess for the tv content if you don't have a premium plan and don't mind being a little behind. Like for stuff like Shameless or The Walking Dead or whatever. They're always a season or half a season behind.
I've recently watched several series on Netflix that I wasn't aware of, or was aware of and for whatever reason never got into, when they were originally on tv. Plus two series (Lucifer and Designated Survivor) that were favorites of mine when they were on live tv but then after cancellation were picked up by Netflix for an additional brand-new season (two, for Lucifer) there. Several other cancelled series were handled the same way.

I'm currently watching a Canadian series that never aired here but is on Netflix (AFAIK, it's not on any of the other streaming services). The fourth season started airing in Canada on CBC a couple of weeks ago and so I assume Netflix will eventually add that to the other three seasons they already have. There's no way I'd be able to watch it any sooner, anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 11:20 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Wake me up when a streamer besides FUBO has MSG. For all they DON'T have, $55/mo is highway robbery. ATT Now had it...for a week, then dumped it AND raised prices. That gives me a warm fuzzy. I'll keep being a thorn in cable's side for the deal I get. Until the streaming playing field drastically settles down.
Admittedly, we will have to cheat and use an alternate login to get the MSG Go feed, then cast to the tv. That and the "free" HBO we were getting will be what we'll miss, but for the $80/mo. difference, no problem.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:30 AM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
*they* get you no matter what.
The only way to really save money is to kick the habit. It's bullshtein.
Kill cable down to internet only and the price for that alone is almost as much as a triple play.
Then add your subscriptions like Netflix, Amazon, YTTV, etc at $9 or $15 or $20 a month(each) and you're right where you were at with a full blown cable package.
Sons of *******. Corporate greedy scum.
The system is rigged so we can't truly win.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:58 AM

^ No, once they start charging over $100 just for acceptable internet speed (say 25/25), then they have you by the nads. For now, $40 for 200/200 (regular $75) then all the addons is still less than what triple play would be off-promo.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Kill cable down to internet only and the price for that alone is almost as much as a triple play.
Then add your subscriptions like Netflix, Amazon, YTTV, etc at $9 or $15 or $20 a month(each) and you're right where you were at with a full blown cable package.

Right, especially if you need one of the higher Mbps options for streaming to multiple devices. Very few people would be happy with trying to stream HD to multiple devices on the $60/mo 20 Mbps connection which would be the least expensive under the new rates. And YTTV is $50/month all by itself.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Right, especially if you need one of the higher Mbps options for streaming to multiple devices. Very few people would be happy with trying to stream HD to multiple devices on the $60/mo 20 Mbps connection which would be the least expensive under the new rates. And YTTV is $50/month all by itself.
Are you getting $60/mo. for 20Mbps from Optimum? You realize you're tying & hindering yourself all based on the simple need for a non-web email address. Why not spend just a few bucks per month on web hosting that can give you email just the same instead? I got a stablehost deal for $12/year, then the domain name cost is $10/year.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:03 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
It's ok I guess for the tv content if you don't have a premium plan and don't mind being a little behind. Like for stuff like Shameless or The Walking Dead or whatever. They're always a season or half a season behind.
I like mindless TV lol.

Give me all the "600lb life", "1000lb sisters", "90 day fiancé", "bachelor", "hoarders" & "dr. pimple popper" you can

I'm here for it, ha

Old 01-27-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Variety is the spice of life. Imagine you could only watch what Blockbuster had to offer in-store. This is why we still watch live TV. We'll catch something on HGTV, sometimes CNBC (Shark Tank, The Profit), Cooking Channel, Bravo, NBCSN, etc.

We have Netflix and Amazon Prime TV like most people but hardly use it. Both were included in other packages.

Thankfully cutting the cord doesn't mean cutting out live tv like it used to where your only hope was an antenna that may or may not get channels. What's also better about the new live tv's is you can watch from anywhere, without being tied to monthly rental set-top boxes or "multi-room DVRs". Crazy to think you have to pay upwards of $50/mo. for equipment just to have the access to watch a subscription you're already paying for.
I agree. Netflix gives suggestions based on things you want, but I don't always know what I'm in the mood for … like sometimes I'll be flipping through Optimum and something will catch my eye that I may not have found otherwise on Netflix or whatever

Also I LOVE commercials. Like ridiculous, but I LOVE THEM.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I've recently watched several series on Netflix that I wasn't aware of, or was aware of and for whatever reason never got into, when they were originally on tv. Plus two series (Lucifer and Designated Survivor) that were favorites of mine when they were on live tv but then after cancellation were picked up by Netflix for an additional brand-new season (two, for Lucifer) there. Several other cancelled series were handled the same way.

I'm currently watching a Canadian series that never aired here but is on Netflix (AFAIK, it's not on any of the other streaming services). The fourth season started airing in Canada on CBC a couple of weeks ago and so I assume Netflix will eventually add that to the other three seasons they already have. There's no way I'd be able to watch it any sooner, anyhow.
I do love some of the documentaries they have. Not Netflix exclusive but I may not have found out about them otherwise.

'A Dollar A Day', 'The Long Walk To School' & 'Kindness Diaries' … if you're into cultures and how the large majority of the world lives, it's mind-blowing.

I've traveled to 60 countries and have unfortunately seen some unimaginable poverty … these documentaries bring a lot of that to light.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Are you getting $60/mo. for 20Mbps from Optimum? You realize you're tying & hindering yourself all based on the simple need for a non-web email address.

The email addys are only a secondary reason. The primary reason that I won't switch to FIOS is because of the ONT technology which is also what Altice One is based on (and why I would not opt for Altice One even though some of those promo packages are cheaper.) Don't want ONT tech in the house, period. Won't get into a fruitless discussion of why, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island