Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 09:21 AM

19 posts, read 8,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spx9d View Post
Thank you everyone, we bought this house for around 550k, previous owners had converted one bedroom into dining room, this is a old not updated cape, fully updated house in my neighborhood is going for $740k plus, so if I have to spend 200k in getting this updated, we might just move, I had called some estimates for just converting the attic into 2 bedrooms and got estimate from 50k to 220k, not sure now what to do and how to choose contractors, plus some friends are saying we cannot live in the house of renovation goes on, so confused

50k-220k is a big range for the same work. A decent renovation for the items you have listed which includes upgrading bathroom / windows / roof and some part of siding /kitchen should cost around 200k. List all the items which bother you or are an eyesore and get done everything at one go to make this a cost effective renovation and modernizing the house. The list should include new moldings, new panels for doors and closet, racks etc. if you wish to change the front door / driveway - curb appeal items , patio get quotes all inclusive so you are fully satisfied once everything is done and you dont get the itch to upgrade again after few years.

You are living in NHP and this is the only reason this will work as 99% of the time you will get your money back if you decide to sell the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 10:10 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skg2012 View Post
50k-220k is a big range for the same work.

I thought the same when I saw that. Unless the $50K estimate was just for the shell and literally nothing else except electrical wiring, no drywall or other finishing. OP did not mention adding a bathroom upstairs but that's a big ticket item regardless of size.

Materials matter too. Lower estimates may be just for plywood flooring and then the OP to take care of carpet installation, higher estimates might include either traditional or engineered hardwood in the price. Low estimates = builder grade windows, higher estimates = Andersen 400 or Pella.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:12 PM

58 posts, read 63,905 times
Thank you everyone for all suggestions, now we are thinking to get some estimates from reliable contractors, looking into some decent renovations like kitchen - adding a dishwasher, electrical panel, bedrooms and bathroom upstairs, I am going to suggest to contractors that we just have 100k and see what they can do for us, hopefully the plan to stay materializes as we need space for kids

Old 01-24-2020, 02:17 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
And if you're even somewhat handy, you can save a few dollars by doing the finishing work like painting.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:59 PM

Thank you everyone, is NHP more desirable than Herricks? I see house price is also very high in NHP while Herricks is a better school district. We live in NHP

Old 01-26-2020, 12:13 PM

Hi all, is $6000 reasonable cost for kitchen remodeling including new cabinets, flooring and dishwasher and new paint for 12x12 kitchen

Old 01-26-2020, 01:11 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Hi all, is $6000 reasonable cost for kitchen remodeling including new cabinets, flooring and dishwasher and new paint for 12x12 kitchen
Reasonable?? I'd say it was a pipe dream, if that number came from a contractor.

Maybe with getting the cheapest low-quality cabinets and countertop material, Home Depot fixtures and/or sink, and sheet vinyl flooring (certainly not porcelain tile) but ehhh, I don't know even then. Depends on how many feet of upper and lower cabinetry too.

And what about the refrigerator and whatever you cook in/on? Kitchen exhaust fan? (vented to the outside, if you want it to do any good at all) Tiled backsplash, or just a low strip of the countertop material? Changing any of the lighting?

Old 01-26-2020, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
If I’m guessing correctly, I would much rather live in your previous Nassau town (Plainview)? And the price and school district ratings reflect that. It’s a myth that Nassau is more expensive and Suffolk is cheaper. Good towns in either county are just as expensive.

NHP is value for money and worth spending money to upgrade and will always appreciate.

Just check price of a house in your neighborhood which has the features you want to add. If cp of your original home + reno cost is below then go for it.

Old 01-26-2020, 02:49 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
My cabinets and island where 14k and the stunning Quartzite counter tops where $9,800. 6k is dirt cheap

Old 01-26-2020, 06:36 PM

Thank you, I don’t know how to do reply to particular post, for kitchen we are not changing appliances or adding countertop, only appliance we are adding is dish washer and we are not doing anything fancy just normal and basic update - $6k is for flooring, painting, no platform ( only kitchen island) and cabinets nothing else. Yes the number came from contractor so we will see how the work goes, he said he will be done in 5 days. We have no experience with the contractors so relying on this forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island