Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 10:46 AM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times

Advertisements

I understand if it’s hard to evict people that’s a problem. Our neighbors didn’t care. We now live in a really nice older neighborhood in Nevada and some of the people have a rental on their property. It’s legal if it meets certain conditions. No one hates these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 10:46 AM

252 posts, read 419,799 times
I own a home with a legal accessory apartment. Have had 3 sets of tenants. Till now, never had an issue. All 3 were excellent. Do the proper income, credit, and background checks and you should be fine. I'm fair with my tenants and expect the same. I'm also very attentive when anything needs to addressed (it is my home). The NYS laws are a bit tricky but, not insurmountable.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:59 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
The house we bought several years ago had a revolving door of college-student tenants in an (illegal) basement apartment. I was told by all four of our adjacent neighbors that they were so relieved when the house was sold, even though the owner/landlord was living upstairs.

We've been living here for five years and are still getting junk (and other) mail addressed to former tenants. I think the latest individual-name count is up to 8, and the former owners were only here for 9 years. Of course they swore up, down, and sideways that they had NEVER rented out the basement to anyone EVER, and that it was only used "a couple of times by my wife's mom when she came to visit." What a crock of you-know-what that was.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:23 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,096 times
I would not want to live in a house with a renter living there with me, especially if it became an adversarial relationship. Perhaps you could AirBnB the apartment? That would still bring in income and you wouldn't be tied to a long term tenant. If you have kids, consider where the homes are located. I would live in the cheapest and smallest home if it meant sending my kids to a better school.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:06 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I understand if it’s hard to evict people that’s a problem. Our neighbors didn’t care. We now live in a really nice older neighborhood in Nevada and some of the people have a rental on their property. It’s legal if it meets certain conditions. No one hates these people.
In NY, the neighbors usually do care. In many areas, parking is very limited and overnight street parking can be restricted depending on the town. Long Island is not known for having large garage space or any garage space for cars, especially in Nassau County.

If you do need to evict, it's a very long and extremely costly process. No one wants to live alongside a tenant for the next 8 months or more while going through the eviction process. I lived next door to someone with destructive children and it took the landlords 2 years to get them out. They left a mess outside and it attracted rats. The landlord kept getting fined for the garbage while trying to get these people out.

Old 02-08-2020, 04:54 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We now live in a really nice older neighborhood in Nevada and some of the people have a rental on their property.
Curious to know if by "on their property" you're referring to a separate structure like a cottage? If so, that is quite different from most rentals here, which are typically within the home itself such as in a basement or converted garage or the lower level of a high-ranch.

A friend of mine bought a circa-1890s house in Head of the Harbor which is 2-acre minimum zoned and it had an outbuilding which was originally a very small carriage house which was about the size of a typical 2-car garage but with a second floor. Somewhere along the line an owner had it converted to an actual garage and put a studio apartment into the second floor area (with permits and COs) and there was a departing tenant in it when my friend bought the house. There were two separate driveways coming into the property, one going to the main house and the other to the separate garage/apartment outbuilding. But setups like that are not common here, and neither are wooded, private 2-acre+ lots except in $$$ areas.

Just curious, was it the property taxes that ultimately pushed you out of Wisconsin? If so, you're the third such person I've heard of personally in recent months. Most people don't realize that many parts of Wisconsin are right up there with LI and NJ when comparing effective property tax rates.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:30 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
When I say on the property I mean attached to the main house. No we left in 1993 after I got my second masters degree and there were 300 people for every job. After my first master’s we were convinced that another one would be different. We would have never left as family and friends were there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island