Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2020, 01:23 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times

Advertisements

Charming

https://www.newsday.com/business/alt...ers-1.41718432

I don't remember ever having given them my SSN, but then again I've been a customer of theirs (under my current name) since the late 1990s and simply transferred accounts from one house to another every time I've moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 12:23 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
The link can only be accessed by subscribers. I'm not one of them...

Old 02-12-2020, 07:37 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Sorry, Elke; my bad, I forgot that non-Optimum customers can't see Newsday pages anymore.

Relevant sections:

DATA BREACH EXPOSES ALTICE EMPLOYEE, OPTIMUM CUSTOMER INFORMATION

A data breach at Altice USA Inc. has exposed the Social Security numbers, birth dates and other personal information of all 12,000 current employees as well as some former employees and a small number of customers, the company said.

The breach occurred in November when an “unauthorized third party” used email phishing to gain access to the email account credentials of employees, said Lisa Anselmo, a spokeswoman for Altice. The stolen credentials were used to remotely access and download the contents of mailboxes.

“During our investigation, we learned in January 2020 that certain downloaded mailboxes contained password-protected reports that included personal information for current employees and some former employees," she said. "A limited number of customers were also included.”

Anselmo did not respond Tuesday to questions about how many customers were affected. Altice had nearly 5 million residential and business customers in December 2018, according to a securities filing.

Colleen Schmidt, Altice’s executive vice president of human resources, said the company is offering free identity and credit monitoring for one year from the credit reporting service Experian. Affected individuals have until April 30 to apply for the service, she said.

Altice USA reported the breach to federal law enforcement agencies, secured the email accounts, hired a computer forensics company and is training all employees in how to recognize and avoid phishing email, Anselmo said.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:44 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Thanks for reposting, BBC

One more reason I'm glad I don't have Optimum/Altice...

Old 02-12-2020, 10:13 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,800 times
The article says most of the compromised data was for employees, with a "small number" of customers potentially affected. So as long as you haven't worked for Optimum or Altice, you're probably fine.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:50 AM

732 posts, read 882,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
The article says most of the compromised data was for employees, with a "small number" of customers potentially affected. So as long as you haven't worked for Optimum or Altice, you're probably fine.
What is considered small though. If they have 100,000 subscribers, small could be 1, 100, 1,000, 10,000 or 49,999.

Most of our data was leaked from the equifax breach.

Just watch your credit reports, sign up for free services with credit change alerts or/and freeze your credit with the 3 bureau and go on with your day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island