Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 07:44 AM

226 posts, read 151,539 times

Advertisements

I have been house hunting for a while. Been looking at lindenhurst/Babylon/w Babylon/levittown/East meadow. Now wondering if if Huntington is a decent place. Don’t know much if it. Any input would be helpful. Family of 3 possibly 4 in a year. Work in City mostly with commercial van plates. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 09:25 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Huntington is a great place. But, there are many different parts of it and it spans a few different school districts so plan on spending some time getting to know it before you decide to buy.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:54 PM

29 posts, read 15,894 times
Huntington is a great place, but I'm just wondering where you will work.

Theres a reason why people live in babylon and not Huntington albeit huntington is a better place. The geniuses who designed this island decided to make Huntington station, the hood, with no parking.

Imagine living in manhasset but parking your car in hempstead and commuting from their too.

Bang for buck it's not worth it. If you wanna commute from the hood, might as well pay hood dollar somwhere closer to nyc.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:37 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsmaks View Post
Huntington is a great place, but I'm just wondering where you will work.

Theres a reason why people live in babylon and not Huntington albeit huntington is a better place. The geniuses who designed this island decided to make Huntington station, the hood, with no parking.
Did you ever commute from those locations? Doubtful. I did, from both.

Didn't find Babylon any better than Huntington, in fact, there is more parking available at the Huntington train station than there is at the Babylon train station.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:01 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
If you opt for Huntington, watch those school district lines. You don't want #3. You want Harborfields SD, and if you're flush with $, Cold Spring Harbor SD.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:14 PM

29 posts, read 15,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
If you opt for Huntington, watch those school district lines. You don't want #3. You want Harborfields SD, and if you're flush with $, Cold Spring Harbor SD.

Eh, if he has the genetics, he doesnt need the phenomenal schools. If he's a regular joe and has the money for pay to win, yeah the csh sd is great.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:43 AM

63 posts, read 70,552 times
In response to OP's question: No, it is not a good place to raise a family if you are dependent on the district's public schools. If I was moving my family into a neighborhood I wasn't familiar with and making the biggest investment of my life, I would want somebody to tell me this. I know too many families who have opted for the arduous and costly undertaking of relocating to one of the neighboring districts, just to get away from Huntington schools. The usual go-to escape districts are (as already mentioned) Harborfields and Cold Spring Harbor. Commack, Northport and Elwood are a little further but also come to mind. South Huntington, plagued by many of the same issues as Huntington, should not be considered. Gangs, violence in the schools, and a huge percentage of non-English speakers are a great concern in Huntington, unfortunately. It's otherwise quite a nice place, with much to offer. There are numerous parochial schools a prospective buyer can consider, but really, it's just easier to move someplace else with better schools.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:09 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMeQuick View Post
In response to OP's question: No, it is not a good place to raise a family if you are dependent on the district's public schools. If I was moving my family into a neighborhood I wasn't familiar with and making the biggest investment of my life, I would want somebody to tell me this. I know too many families who have opted for the arduous and costly undertaking of relocating to one of the neighboring districts, just to get away from Huntington schools. The usual go-to escape districts are (as already mentioned) Harborfields and Cold Spring Harbor. Commack, Northport and Elwood are a little further but also come to mind. South Huntington, plagued by many of the same issues as Huntington, should not be considered. Gangs, violence in the schools, and a huge percentage of non-English speakers are a great concern in Huntington, unfortunately. It's otherwise quite a nice place, with much to offer. There are numerous parochial schools a prospective buyer can consider, but really, it's just easier to move someplace else with better schools.
These districts are always lumped together, CSH is on a diff level a fixer upper is 800k, in the other SD you can get a stunning home for that price. I would be fine with any SD in Town of Huntington accept Huntington and South Huntington. If your like me and work or may need to work in NYC and not be miserable, your only options are CSH or the very western portions of Melville/West Hills zoned HHH.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:42 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
As long as you are at least a mile from Huntington Station you are good. Huntington Station is a bad neighborhood with bad people. Stay away from there.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:42 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
As long as you are at least a mile from Huntington Station you are good. Huntington Station is a bad neighborhood with bad people. Stay away from there.

Love generalizations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island