Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 11:29 PM

323 posts, read 199,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
DK1111 I owe you an apology, for you predicted the severity of this virus long ago. Admittedly, I knew this was a possibility as I said early on, but I did think it was fear mongering on your part and I stated that. This is not to say that was not part of it, and I still hold the belief that the 24 hour news cycle and blogs, etc. do whip the people into a frenzy, much like the forecast of snow does on LI.

We will learn from this and move forward, a changed USA, much as life has not been the same as before 9/11, but we will survive and thrive.
Thanks! I respect you very much for that. I have an anxiety disorder so I am one of the types of people that are always prepared for disasters, lol. All I wanted to do was keep all of you guys safe and get you all prepared for this. I love this forum and even though a lot of us bicker sometimes, I like each and every one of you. I wish you the best of luck and if you need anyone to talk to or some help I got your back. Stay safe and take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 07:59 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
Thanks! I respect you very much for that. I have an anxiety disorder so I am one of the types of people that are always prepared for disasters, lol. All I wanted to do was keep all of you guys safe and get you all prepared for this. I love this forum and even though a lot of us bicker sometimes, I like each and every one of you. I wish you the best of luck and if you need anyone to talk to or some help I got your back. Stay safe and take care.
When I am wrong I will admit it. My experience in Emergency Preparedness in every class I took was that the #1 rule is to avoid panicking and then follow the rest of the rules. I believe that there is just so much lack of common sense in the world today that we need to be acutely aware of the fact that people will panic at an irregular situation at the drop of a hat.

Your example of toilet paper shortage: The larger TP manufacturers spoke and said they had produced enough toilet paper to cover and there was no shortage. The panic of the people who went out and irrationally horded the TP created an otherwise non existent shortage.

Equally evident is the example that when told to distance (common sense) people still held weddings, parties, gatherings at the beaches. Stupidity and the "I want, what I want, when I want it, mindset" prevailed. We still have more to learn about this virus than we know, but one thing that has been proven is that when you distance you reduce the transmission. IF everyone would have done what they were told early on - we would be in a better place than we are now. That said, no one really understood the enemy we were dealing with. Just like 9/11 created a new norm, so too will this experience and I have no doubt that we will emerge better and stronger.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
When I am wrong I will admit it. My experience in Emergency Preparedness in every class I took was that the #1 rule is to avoid panicking and then follow the rest of the rules. I believe that there is just so much lack of common sense in the world today that we need to be acutely aware of the fact that people will panic at an irregular situation at the drop of a hat.

The only reason why I was worrying was because when this started over in Wuhan, I knew it would eventually arrive to NY because we have so many Chinese Americans living here that travel back and forth to China. It was only a matter of time before it hit here. I wasn't trying to panic anyone, I just wanted to warn everyone to prepare themselves. My own husband mocked me and made fun of me. He said "It won't affect us". When I said "Lets just stock up on some canned goods and some necessities just in case", he said I was stupid.

I remember what is was like during Sandy. We had no power for 11 days and it was miserable. I dreaded the nights because after the sun went down it was like living in the 1700's. It was pitch black in my house and I had to walk around the house with a candle like George Washington, lol. We cooked all of our food on the barbecue and the only entertainment we had was an old Radio Shack transistor radio that I had. I saw the writing on the wall and since being locked down it is miserable again. My whole family is at each other's throats. The kids are bickering and everyone is arguing. When I venture out in my backyard, I even hear the neighbors screaming at each other, lol.

Your example of toilet paper shortage: The larger TP manufacturers spoke and said they had produced enough toilet paper to cover and there was no shortage. The panic of the people who went out and irrationally horded the TP created an otherwise non existent shortage.

People went crazy when it came to the TP isssue. How much TP do people really need unless they have IBS?, lol.

Equally evident is the example that when told to distance (common sense) people still held weddings, parties, gatherings at the beaches. Stupidity and the "I want, what I want, when I want it, mindset" prevailed. We still have more to learn about this virus than we know, but one thing that has been proven is that when you distance you reduce the transmission. IF everyone would have done what they were told early on - we would be in a better place than we are now. That said, no one really understood the enemy we were dealing with. Just like 9/11 created a new norm, so too will this experience and I have no doubt that we will emerge better and stronger.
People are still not taking it seriously. I have been fighting with my own husband to stay the @#$% home. He can't sit still and he is one of those type of people that keep running out the door to local eateries to pick up food, costco, BJs, the bakery, etc... I keep looking out the window and seeing swarms of teenagers walking closely together passing by my house. All of my neighbors are hanging out together on their porches, etc. I wish people would just cool their jets for a little bit and just stay the hell home. If people keep going out and do not practice social distancing, this virus will continue to plague us for months.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:22 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
People are still not taking it seriously. I have been fighting with my own husband to stay the @#$% home. He can't sit still and he is one of those type of people that keep running out the door to local eateries to pick up food, costco, BJs, the bakery, etc... I keep looking out the window and seeing swarms of teenagers walking closely together passing by my house. All of my neighbors are hanging out together on their porches, etc. I wish people would just cool their jets for a little bit and just stay the hell home. If people keep going out and do not practice social distancing, this virus will continue to plague us for months.
You don't need my advice, but for your own health think about this. There are people in this world that are born with common sense and we are not addressing them. Then there are teens who are immortal (I was once like that a gazillion years ago) and then there are people who are just selfish and then there are people who will do the bare minimum as advised. They can no more change you, than you them. Keep doing what you are doing and just make sure DH washes his hands often. I would think you should be fine. Stop worrying about that which you can't change and change what you can. BE well.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:37 AM

Quote:
You don't need my advice, but for your own health think about this. There are people in this world that are born with common sense and we are not addressing them. Then there are teens who are immortal (I was once like that a gazillion years ago) and then there are people who are just selfish and then there are people who will do the bare minimum as advised. They can no more change you, than you them. Keep doing what you are doing and just make sure DH washes his hands often. I would think you should be fine. Stop worrying about that which you can't change and change what you can. BE well.
You are so right and are very logical. I will do my best to take your advice. It is hard for me to not worry as I am wired funny. I have had anxiety since the age of five and am trying my best to stop the worry thoughts. I am hoping and praying you and your family stay safe. Thanks so much for your posts on City Data. I always appreciate your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island