Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 11:03 PM

323 posts, read 199,263 times

Advertisements

A lot of health care professionals may not be able to get protective masks soon. This is quite eye opening. Most of the masks are made in China. This is a huge reason why we need to start manufacturing things in the USA again.

Ordinary people trying to protect themselves from the outbreak are not the only ones encountering shortages. Some health care professionals are seeing them as well.

Some industry officials are attributing the shortages not just to high demand but to disruptions in supply: An outsize share of the world’s surgical masks are made in China - 50%, by its own estimate - and some of the factories are in or near the hard-hit city of Wuhan and have been shut down for weeks because of the crisis, they said.

Mike Gania of the American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists said some hospital pharmacies are saying that they have only a one- to two-week supply of masks and that the major wholesalers are unable to fill orders.

Within hospitals, surgical masks are worn by operating room teams - doctors, nurses, anesthesiologists - and frequently by pharmacists. Staff members caring for patients with dangerous infections wear the N95 masks.

Dr. Sarah Boston, a veterinary surgical oncologist and author in Toronto, uses 10 to 15 surgical masks per week in her practice. Her usual supplier ran out, so she had to switch to a less comfortable brand.

“I've spoken to a lot of people who are worried that we're going to lose supply or not be able to get them,” she said.

What the hell do other people who need to wear protective masks like painters and construction people do too? I'm glad I was able to get 20 of the N95 masks while I had the chance.
http://longisland.news12.com/story/4...-on-face-masks

Last edited by dk1111; 02-27-2020 at 11:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 04:29 AM

323 posts, read 199,263 times
Drug Shortages are already Happening:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...ge/ar-BB10vgxQ

Isn't it quite predictable that they don't tell us what drug(s) are in short supply. They are probably afraid people will panic. However, sadly, a lot of the ingredients in our medications are made in China and China's manufacturing has all but stopped now. I've said this time and time again. We need to start making our own things in the US.

If you take daily medications you guys need to ask your doctor for more than a one month supply. I'm glad my doctor was conscientious enough to give me a 90 day supply. If you have elderly parents on blood pressure meds, etc.. talk to them now about getting a 90 day supply. If your health insurance or theirs doesn't cover a 90 day supply if you can, pay out of pocket. The $#^@ is about to hit the fan...

Old 02-28-2020, 10:45 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post

Isn't it quite predictable that they don't tell us what drug(s) are in short supply. They are probably afraid people will panic. However, sadly, a lot of the ingredients in our medications are made in China and China's manufacturing has all but stopped now. I've said this time and time again. We need to start making our own things in the US.

If you take daily medications you guys need to ask your doctor for more than a one month supply. I'm glad my doctor was conscientious enough to give me a 90 day supply. If you have elderly parents on blood pressure meds, etc.. talk to them now about getting a 90 day supply. If your health insurance or theirs doesn't cover a 90 day supply if you can, pay out of pocket. The $#^@ is about to hit the fan...
LMAO at your hysterical posts. This virus is less deadly so far than the common flu, many people being treated for it get the symptoms of a common cold. This media driven viral scare crap literally happens every few years:

West Nile, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, SARS, Zika Virus, Ebola. Rinse and repeat.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:59 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times
Quote:

Wait, were you able to get a 90 day supply?

Old 02-28-2020, 11:48 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
I bought a 90 day supply of Corona

Doctor also advised me to take lemon

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-28-2020, 02:05 PM

184 posts, read 227,864 times
If anyone wants to get into the market, now’s the time. You can thank me in June.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:00 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
It's not just this administration, it's all government administrations past and present. If you think you can trust government to keep you safe, let me sell you a bridge, lol.
It really has nothing to do with government keeping us safe... we know that doesn't happen. But, policy decisions matter. Otherwise, why does anyone care who is elected?

Old 02-28-2020, 05:23 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
They're only being monitored, and it's not established they have it. Those with the virus often have mild or NO symptoms.

I know of someone in Nassau that has probably collapsed on the fainting couch over this.

As for me, I'm headed for Europe soon and will carry some antiseptic hand gel with me. I will take reasonable precautions and refuse to live scared.
Fainting couches are also in short supply I'm sure !

Old 02-28-2020, 05:28 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

Sensible so you don’t get scurvy.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:42 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

In a pinch, I am told a lime is a good substitute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island