Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 07:12 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandLand View Post
I'm not trying to be negative here, but I've been scouring the internet, and also making calls trying to find out more information. I've been searching for an apartment, and literally the cheapest single bedroom apartment seems to be around $1200 (I don't remember exactly, but that's about it). And again, that's for your sort of standard, bare-minimum apartment. Most of them are at least $1500.

I guess this is more of a comment than a question, but there's no way someone with a minimum wage job who works 5 days/week (like me), can afford to live from that perspective. I even asked someone on the phone from HUD what people in my situation do and she basically said that they stay with their parents or they rent a room in someone's house. I had a prospective roommate and we eventually kind of decided together that even having a roommate wouldn't make the rent feasible. I thought maybe apartments.com was sort of exaggerating the prices, but no. Also another weird thing is that every other apartment complex seems to be owned by Heatherwood estates.

Nimbys hate renters. Especially when they make more money than they do and supposedly "don't pay no taxes." Nimby 'logic' on development and growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 07:48 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
There's no rental market on LI.
I guess everybody that works in a restaurant, convenience store, hell even delivers mail on LI lives with their parents

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-05-2020, 08:57 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be negative here, but I've been scouring the internet, and also making calls trying to find out more information. I've been searching for an apartment, and literally the cheapest single bedroom apartment seems to be around $1200 (I don't remember exactly, but that's about it). And again, that's for your sort of standard, bare-minimum apartment. Most of them are at least $1500.

I guess this is more of a comment than a question, but there's no way someone with a minimum wage job who works 5 days/week (like me), can afford to live from that perspective. I even asked someone on the phone from HUD what people in my situation do and she basically said that they stay with their parents or they rent a room in someone's house. I had a prospective roommate and we eventually kind of decided together that even having a roommate wouldn't make the rent feasible. I thought maybe apartments.com was sort of exaggerating the prices, but no. Also another weird thing is that every other apartment complex seems to be owned by Heatherwood estates.
I doubt anyone making minimum wage in the last 30 years could have afforded a 1-bedroom apartment on Long Island or lots of places.

First of all, you should be looking for studios, not 1-bedrooms. And what about taking a second job? People have done this forever. Not fun, but if you want to live alone...

Old 03-05-2020, 09:03 AM

5,706 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:

If we had a free marketplace in America, you wouldn't hear these stories, but one wing of the government, trying to "fix" these inequities, actually make things worse. Just look at California. Some people have good, full time jobs, and are homeless

Old 03-05-2020, 09:06 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I guess everybody that works in a restaurant, convenience store, hell even delivers mail on LI lives with their parents

Illegal rentals or min $2k month rent for anything legal. So yeah, they live with someone's parents.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:57 PM

1,107 posts, read 552,934 times
I don't know how old the OP is, but usually people earning minimum wage for a full-time job are young and just starting out. Most people, myself included, start at the bottom and work themselves up to bigger and better jobs, homes, lifestyles. That means either living with parents while you climb and save, living with a roommate or two, or taking on a second job. Low-wage jobs and low-rent apartments are both meant to be a step towards a goal, not the goal itself. Be patient. Do what you need to do until you can afford to do what you want to do.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:54 PM

855 posts, read 451,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
There being no rental market on LI =/= every last person of lower paying jobs living with their parents.

Did you pull your logic out of a toilet.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Illegal rentals or min $2k month rent for anything legal. So yeah, they live with someone's parents.
At this point ppl will think it's not even worth it to take jobs like that

Whats the point if you can't afford to be on your own, I'm not even mad if ppl just go straight to the welfare office now instead of taking a cashier job

20 years ago in NYC it was possible to be 18 and have a low-paying job and and a crappy apartment

Thats bad when you cant even afford to rent a crappy apartment

And I don't mean to describe it as crappy, I'm by no means putting on the Ritz myself - but there's simply no other way I can put it best

Our first apartment we rented before we bought - it was a shoebox, but dammit it was our shoebox. We lived there 6 months & 3 shootings occured in those months on my block - but it was still our shoebox.

This simply is wrong, whats going on.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 03-05-2020 at 09:30 PM..

Old 03-05-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
There being no rental market on LI =/= every last person of lower paying jobs living with their parents.

I keep forgetting sarcasm does not translate well on the Internet. My bad.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:02 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Quote:
Rentals with "Logic" equipped toilets usually command the highest rents with extra security deposit. It's the latest technology.

All please bear in mind that high Long Island rents are mainly a product of property owners passing on the high property taxes, insurance, maintenance costs (L.I. tradesmen, at least the good one's, ain't cheap). And of course acquisition cost (purchase price).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island