Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 05:22 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
The fault with your logic lies in the fact that the less expensive housing (the outer boroughs of Manhattan) are closer to the higher paying jobs (in Manhattan).
We're talking about affording an apartment on minimum wage

So why are you bringing up high-paying jobs.

The topic is people who do not have high-paying jobs, and where are they supposed to live.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 08:42 PM

155 posts, read 101,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
We're talking about affording an apartment on minimum wage

So why are you bringing up high-paying jobs.

The topic is people who do not have high-paying jobs, and where are they supposed to live.
ABLI is a good place to live

If minimum wage is the same in most parts of the country
And you can only get a minimum wage job
Then you should live in a place where your dollars go the farthest

Here in fla, There are minimum+ wage jobs with health insurance at gas stations such as racetrack and wawa, also at Starbucks

So most anywhere but li ABLI is a good place to live

Old 03-15-2020, 12:34 PM

121 posts, read 165,834 times
Quote:
My parents came from nothing -- nada, zero. My father apprenticed in a now-extinct trade and stayed with the same employer (through many changes of ownership) until the day he retired. My mother still works part-time at 80 years old, for "the extras." Our family of 4 lived in a 4 room flat in a not-so-hot neighborhood in Brooklyn until my mother was attacked around the corner from our apartment, which drove them out to Long Island at 40 years of age. From Long Island, my father drove to New Jersey to work every night until his retirement 22 years later. Prior to that point, for over 20 years, my hard-working father scrimped and saved as much as he could to buy the modest one-family home he and my mom still live in today, 42 years later. THAT's my parents' mirror.

My father's example of hard work, dedication, and financial responsibility passed on to me. I couldn't afford college, and he couldn't afford it for me, so I joined the army and they provided college money as a benefit, which I used when I got out. I got a loan for the rest. I had roommates while I worked part-time during school, because I couldn't afford a car, so needed to live in Queens where I could use public transportation to get to both work and school.

There were never even any thoughts of handouts, and never any expectation of entitlement, in my family. We worked hard and EARNED every modest thing we ever had. We never asked for anything.

So, compare this experience with people who don't think they should have to work two jobs or take on a roommate or change jobs or move to a more affordable location and commute -- or do whatever the heck it takes today to forge a better life tomorrow -- but rather think, like you seem to, that they should be content to stand in place and expect everything they want to be built for them.
Hey Boomer, you forgot the part where you had to walk barefoot, uphill, in the snow, 5 miles to work each day - even in July!

Old 03-17-2020, 06:56 PM

1,107 posts, read 552,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
Hey Boomer, you forgot the part where you had to walk barefoot, uphill, in the snow, 5 miles to work each day - even in July!
Your mocking suggestion of exaggeration is very telling - you can't even fathom how hard people worked to get what they have because it's not something you'd ever even consider doing yourself. The only thing I fault my "boomer" generation for is raising a bunch of weak-willed lazy entitled cowardly immature brats.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:16 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,154 times
Quote:
Your mocking suggestion of exaggeration is very telling - you can't even fathom how hard people worked to get what they have because it's not something you'd ever even consider doing yourself. The only thing I fault my "boomer" generation for is raising a bunch of weak-willed lazy entitled cowardly immature brats.
Both his comment and your response are funny..... You are both right.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:13 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,932 times
Quote:

OK, Boomer. Maye you should read up on economics. Then you'll see you can blame this whole smoke and mirrors economy, debt, globalism and wars on your boomer brethren. Boomers mostly smoked cigars, boinked their interns, replaced our manufacturing base with cheap foreign labor, dumped trillions of play money into the markets (ie debt) and left the country much worse off than they found it, screwing the American dream for at least the next 2 or 3 generations. Good job.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:55 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,415 times
It's not clear yet what this epidemic will do to change our way of life. But if more people telecommute out of necessity, and the trend sticks, many people will remove themselves from their expensive shoe boxes and move to areas with a lower COL. LI and other high cost areas may actually lose their mojo if this happens. Even educators are holding online classes.

What's LI got if people don't need to live close to their job? A lot of overpaid public sector workers who have to stay in the area. Nobody's gonna hang around here and suffer for the bagels and pizza.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
OK, Boomer. Maye you should read up on economics. Then you'll see you can blame this whole smoke and mirrors economy, debt, globalism and wars on your boomer brethren. Boomers mostly smoked cigars, boinked their interns, replaced our manufacturing base with cheap foreign labor, dumped trillions of play money into the markets (ie debt) and left the country much worse off than they found it, screwing the American dream for at least the next 2 or 3 generations. Good job.
Oh babycakes, none of what you just said precludes the fact that your generation (with some exceptions) would rather blame others for their failures than put on their big boy/girl panties and work for their success. "But, but but...BOOMERS!" is getting kind of old and frankly pathetic. Stop whining, get off the iphone, and do something to help yourself.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:44 PM

226 posts, read 129,038 times
Quote:
Oh babycakes, none of what you just said precludes the fact that your generation (with some exceptions) would rather blame others for their failures than put on their big boy/girl panties and work for their success. "But, but but...BOOMERS!" is getting kind of old and frankly pathetic. Stop whining, get off the iphone, and do something to help yourself.
It is clear you are the type of person who needs a taste of his own medicine before he can learn that what he's saying is utterly useless and purely self-serving. So how about this.

You said you couldn't pay for college on your own, and your parents couldn't pay for it either, so you went to the military. But wait. The National Merit Scholarship Program has been around since 1955. New York State awarded $40 million worth of scholarships based on SAT and ACT scores in the 1980s.

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/06/n...olarships.html

So...why didn't you earn an academic scholarship to college straight out of high school? Is it because you didn't work hard enough? Didn't study hard enough for the SAT? Were you not "ambitious" enough? Not "motivated" enough? Too lazy? Oh wait, did the "riff raff" steal your scholarships?

'Cause, I mean, I earned academic scholarships to college straight out of high school. Like you say, if I could do it, then you could have too. But since you didn't do what I did, I guess under your own logic that means you were a no-good bum in high school.

See how rude, crass, and low-class that sounds? Not to mention how useless and self-serving it is? I'm not "better" than you because I went to college with academic scholarships, and you went to college with military-earned benefits. And you're not "better" than me or anyone else in my generation who works an honest job, either.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:34 PM

Without intending to, you actually made my point. Success does not require identical ability, talent or skill. It just requires resourcefulness and determination. I may not have entered college the same way that you did, but I still found a way despite not having the money or a scholarship. THAT'S the point. Quit looking at what other people have and how they got it, and start figuring out how to make your own way and meet your own needs. That's exactly what the boomers did for themselves. So now it's the next generation's turn to pave their own path and, if you're lucky, you'll be successful enough at it that the generation after yours will hate you for it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island