Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 08:12 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post

The only thing I don't like about PeaPod (ordered from them last week), is that if they are out of something ordered, you don't know until your delivery arrives. There were a lot of things I ordered that did not get delivered which meant I had to go out anyway and get/find them. For example, they were out of the pasta I ordered, but I ended up with 10 jars of sauce and no pasta. I think there is a way you can tell them to supplement with other brands if they are out of something though. I just had no idea they would be out of Barilla ziti which surprised me.
If everyone orders 10 jars of anything like you did, items will be depleted very quickly. That's called hoarding. It shortchanges other people who aren't hoarders who would be happy with just one or two jars of sauce for a couple of weeks.

Maybe you and others need to rethink your selfish ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 10:33 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
What's the deal with no frozen veggies, but plenty of fresh? You can take fresh broccoli, cauliflower, carrots (blanch them first) and stick them in the freezer if you must have Frozen vegetables.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:48 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
^ People are lazy. Frozen is washed and cut, fresh is not.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:36 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ People are lazy. Frozen is washed and cut, fresh is not.
Or frozen keeps, fresh wilts.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:03 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
For a family of 6 like mine, buying 10 jars of sauce is not selfish. We use 2-3 jars just to make a large lasagna. To stretch our budget we make pasta dishes at least 3-4 days a week. You are a real smug, judgmental jerk.
10 jars of anything isn’t hoarding. I have about that many at home for the same reason. Ditto for packages of pasta.

I bought several cases of canned green beans at Costco - 12 cans per case. Why? Well, we eat them and that would be enough to last a while sheltering in place.

Hoarding is when you either (1) buy up an entire supply or (2) buy huge quantities that you’d likely never use.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:04 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
If everyone orders 10 jars of anything like you did, items will be depleted very quickly. That's called hoarding. It shortchanges other people who aren't hoarders who would be happy with just one or two jars of sauce for a couple of weeks.

There are no supply issues...and given delays in home delivery why not order a quantity that would last several weeks?

Old 04-03-2020, 09:45 AM

855 posts, read 451,261 times
I think both sides of the argument are valid.

Stocking up more than you need for a couple weeks hurts others when they go food shopping.

However, stocking up so you don't have to go to the supermarket and risk infection is becoming more and more important.

I in no way want my pregnant wife going to the super market right now.

With everything mostly shut down and the virus still spreading, it seems to me that super markets are the place most likely to transmit.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:26 PM

323 posts, read 199,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
10 jars of anything isn’t hoarding. I have about that many at home for the same reason. Ditto for packages of pasta.

I bought several cases of canned green beans at Costco - 12 cans per case. Why? Well, we eat them and that would be enough to last a while sheltering in place.

Hoarding is when you either (1) buy up an entire supply or (2) buy huge quantities that you’d likely never use.
You are 100% right. 10 jars of sauce is not much. I can't believe someone thought that I was hoarding, lol.

Last edited by dk1111; 04-03-2020 at 05:34 PM..

Old 04-03-2020, 05:31 PM

323 posts, read 199,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post

Remember, if you wind up quarantined you CANNOT go out to do grocery shopping! By all means for my family's safety, it is my job to have at least a 2 week buffer of food always on hand. Hoarders buy every single thing on the shelf. Buying what my family and I need and will use immediately is not hoarding or selfish. By the way, 10 jars of pasta sauce is not a lot. I use 2-3 jars just to make a large tray of baked ziti or lasagna for my family. I go though a minimum of 8 jars a week because I make a lot of pasta dishes and use it to make homemade stews and soups.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:47 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
I went by Stop and Shop in NHP when it opened this morning and they are enforcing a limit of the number of people in the store so people line up outside and as a person leaves they let another person in. There were probably 30 people lined up at the opening who had to wait. So you have dozens of people waiting a few feet from each other for maybe a half hour or longer. I don’t see how that reduces the risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island