Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:02 PM

6 posts, read 36,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How about Sea Cliff?
Thanks. I just checked the LIRR schedule. Does not look like an easy commute at all. Transfer at Jamaica. No thanks! Is the PW line the only one that doesn't require a transfer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilip View Post
We are in the same situation as you are -- my husband and I (and our baby) have been looking for quite awhile in Port Washington. We have a similar budget as yours and the same need for a good train to the city. Having spoken with a lot of people living in Port I am not at all concerned about gang or immigration issues. We have a bunch of friends who are also looking in PW and we are really psyched to (hopefully) be there soon. The Port Washington train line is the best, so there will always be professionals from the city wanting to live there. As for the toxic dump, yes, there was one right near Salem elementary. It's been clean for years, though -- google "Port Washington landfill" and you can read more about it.

Good luck!
Hilip -- thanks. Tell me more. Have you seen any houses you like? Are you and your friends looking to be within walking distance of the train station?

Old 04-25-2008, 07:35 AM

85 posts, read 395,517 times
Yeah..... the water is not walking distance from Little Neck, that's true. Is there something you do on the water like boating or fishing? Keep in mind that around winter time, there is not much going on by the water. All I'm saying is how important is the water issue. Bay Terrace is right by the bay near the whitestone bridge and they have a wonderful bike path that is right on the water along the cross island pkwy

Old 04-25-2008, 07:45 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default LIRR station map

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc24 View Post
Is the PW line the only one that doesn't require a transfer?
Yes.

http://www.mta.info/lirr/images/lirr.gif (broken link)

Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all mixed up View Post
Yeah..... the water is not walking distance from Little Neck, that's true. Is there something you do on the water like boating or fishing? Keep in mind that around winter time, there is not much going on by the water. All I'm saying is how important is the water issue. Bay Terrace is right by the bay near the whitestone bridge and they have a wonderful bike path that is right on the water along the cross island pkwy
I see your point about the water, but there is just something about having it in walking distance that appeals to my wife and me, even though we don't fish or boat. A bike path would actually be really great because my wife is really into cycling. Is the commute into Manhattan easy from Bay Terrace? How are the schools? Any other suggestions about proximity to biking, particularly on the Port Washington line?

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:12 AM

487 posts, read 1,364,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Yes.
technically yes, but there are lines where certain stations would have direct trains into penn at certain time, Hicksville is an example

Old 04-25-2008, 09:44 AM

11 posts, read 44,506 times
Default more about us and trains

The Port Washington line is the best, but you can get express lines that won't require you to transfer. They all go through Jamaica Station, I believe, but you don't have to get off and transfer if you're on an express line.

You asked more about where we and our friends are looking. We actually don't care too much about walking distance to the train station. My husband would be taking a super-early train to work so he shouldn't have a problem getting a parking space at the station. So, we have been looking all around PW, including in Salem and other nice neighborhoods within walking distance to the station. Two of our friends are looking around there, too. They have a higher budget so they're concentrating on Sands Point (it's really beautiful there if you haven't been). (Sands Point is still the PW school district -- another reason I think the schools will stay good.)

As far as specific houses, there has been a bit of an inventory problem in PW because sellers are concerned about the housing slump and don't want to put their houses on the market. But from what I've seen, the houses that are well-priced have been selling well. Hopefully sellers will see that and start putting their houses on!

Old 04-25-2008, 11:12 AM

85 posts, read 395,517 times
Bay Terrace is part of Bayside. The LIRR train line is the same as the Port Washington line, just a few stops ahead, so it goes directly to the city. The schools in Bay Terrace are some of the best in Queens. The bike path is very nice by the bay.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:24 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Sands Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilip View Post
They have a higher budget so they're concentrating on Sands Point (it's really beautiful there if you haven't been).

The Village of Sands Point is the location of some of the most expensive real estate in all of New York State!

For those who may not be familiar with Sands Point:

Sands Point is a village (incorporated in 1932) in the northeast part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the northwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Sands Point in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by Long Island Sound; on the east by Hempstead Bay and Hempstead Harbor; on the south by the Hamlet of Port Washington, the Village of Port Washington North, the Village of Manorhaven and Manhasset Bay; and, on the west by Long Island Sound.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/84/Sands-point-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Sands Point is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name in their mailing address: places in the Village of Sands Point have a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-15-2008, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 14,493 times
Hi there!
I live in Port since 2000. My husband was born here and raised here. We have two kids and as I am reading all these things about Port Washington - I am completely in shock... We love living here. It's a quiet town, great for walking, great supermarkets, very good restaurants, the school system is great, easy access to big mall like Roosevelt Mall in Westbury and The Americana Mile in Manhasset, fast commute to NYCity...Houses are a little expensive and taxes too. There are lots of wealthy people (the ones who live in Sands Point), but also middle class. Plenty of sports for the children, nice parks. The town of North Hempstead with Residents for a more Beautiful Port Washington have been cleaning the town, doing improvements to the water front areas (shore road and lower main street), cleaning the bay...everything seems to be perfectly fine for us. Yes, there are illegal immigrants...but do you know who they are? The working people: nannies, babysitters, cleaning ladies, lawn workers, construction people, handymen, painters...these are working hard people trying to give their children a better life in this country of opportunity. Some problems do come with it - I am sure. But not even close to what these people are posting here...Port Washington is a beautiful town with nice residents raising their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island