Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 08:21 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Not to be a jerk here but... the consistently high numbers are coming out of the same communities over and over. Even per Cuomo’s briefing a couple days ago, a majority of the deaths and new infections, are from nursing homes (due to his stupid new rule that they must take COVID+ patients back) and minority groups. And not minorities working as essential employees either - its those unemployed or staying/working from home.

Why are we all made to suffer because someone in Hempstead can’t follow the rules?
I would think a place like Hempstead which has a large Hispanic (both legal/illegal) population has the following issues.

1) Working off the books in any way they can so they aren't not being tracked if they are still working. Delis, food service etc...they are still in there working sick or not.
2) Large numbers of people living in one house and spreading it to others.
3) Using the emergency room as their primary care pre Covid and still doing so during the crisis.

Then you have other places with large black populations where folks are working as nurse's aides on and off the books, still riding the NICE bus etc. There is likely a huge undercount in the essential worker when it comes to blacks and hispanics. Most of these people in these communities do not have the luxury of working from home and in the case of illegal aliens they don't get a stimulus check or unemployment. They have to get out there and hustle somehow 2 months into the crisis. They don't have credit cards, savings, etc. to live off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 08:51 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I would think a place like Hempstead which has a large Hispanic (both legal/illegal) population has the following issues.

1) Working off the books in any way they can so they aren't not being tracked if they are still working. Delis, food service etc...they are still in there working sick or not.
2) Large numbers of people living in one house and spreading it to others.
3) Using the emergency room as their primary care pre Covid and still doing so during the crisis.

Then you have other places with large black populations where folks are working as nurse's aides on and off the books, still riding the NICE bus etc. There is likely a huge undercount in the essential worker when it comes to blacks and hispanics. Most of these people in these communities do not have the luxury of working from home and in the case of illegal aliens they don't get a stimulus check or unemployment. They have to get out there and hustle somehow 2 months into the crisis. They don't have credit cards, savings, etc. to live off.
Cuomo's numbers are based on hospital admissions. The people being admitted to the hospital are self-reporting what they've been doing - working, essential work, working from home, unemployed, etc. The vast majority are reporting that they are working from home/unemployed.

So, if they're actually working in delis or as nurses aides as you say, then they're lying when they're being admitted to the hospital for COVID. I can't help but conclude that the number of minorities working in essential roles, getting sick enough to go to the hospital, and then lying about what they were doing is statistically insignificant.

PS - let me know what hospital has off-the-books nurses' aides so I can be sure never to go there.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:19 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Cuomo's numbers are based on hospital admissions. The people being admitted to the hospital are self-reporting what they've been doing - working, essential work, working from home, unemployed, etc. The vast majority are reporting that they are working from home/unemployed.
PS - let me know what hospital has off-the-books nurses' aides so I can be sure never to go there.
Illegal aliens/immigrant communities/folks paid in cash when questioned aren't going to volunteer and say yes I have been working illegally. They are going to say they were home. And in places with extremely high infection rates like Brentwood and Hempstead you probably have a good deal of illegals coming in (they aren't going to sit at home and die and the federal gov't has already said they won't be deported and NYS/downstate is sanctuary city territory).

Nurse's aides (who are often minorities) work in home health care off the books all the time...its a huge underground industry especially for elder care. I thought it was fairly obvious that I was not referring to the hospital. They often work a job at the hospital/nursing home (as that provides benefits) and then have multiple side gigs (as the pay sucks) where they are paid in cash.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:33 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
Illegal aliens/immigrant communities/folks paid in cash when questioned aren't going to volunteer and say yes I have been working illegally. They are going to say they were home. And in places with extremely high infection rates like Brentwood and Hempstead you probably have a good deal of illegals coming in (they aren't going to sit at home and die and the federal gov't has already said they won't be deported and NYS/downstate is sanctuary city territory).
The government has explicitly said that they won't be arrested/deported and they're STILL lying about working? Amazing if true. I deal with illegals who get injured on the job on a regular basis, none of them ever have a problem saying that they were working, or even that they're here illegally. They don't need to, because there isn't much of anything that the government is going to do about it. They even showed up en mass to get NYS drivers' licenses when those became available, explicitly providing their addresses and illegal status right to the government. Now they're going to turn around and lie when admitted to a hospital?

Quote:
Nurse's aides (who are often minorities) work in home health care off the books all the time...its a huge underground industry especially for elder care. I thought it was fairly obvious that I was not referring to the hospital. They often work a job at the hospital/nursing home (as that provides benefits) and then have multiple side gigs (as the pay sucks) where they are paid in cash.
OK, but they're still working "at the hospital/nursing home", so why would they report that they aren't working? On the off chance that the hospital is going to look into their side hustle as a home health care aide? Home health care aides are licensed by the state as well, the state already has their information.

You're fabricating excuses to cover for the real issues of high rates of non-compliance, pre-existing medical issues, and unfortunate issues which are out of the control of these groups including poor, cramped living conditions, lax landlords, etc.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:01 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
And no one is looking at a possible physiological reason for higher numbers in darker skin individuals: low vitamin D levels have been found in covid positive patients. Darker skin people routinely have lower vit d levels partly due to their higher amounts of melanin in their skin.

Could there be a connection in addition to the socioeconomic and population density issues?

Old 05-07-2020, 12:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
Possibility. Maybe the same reason Italy got it bad too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
And no one is looking at a possible physiological reason for higher numbers in darker skin individuals: low vitamin D levels have been found in covid positive patients. Darker skin people routinely have lower vit d levels partly due to their higher amounts of melanin in their skin.

Could there be a connection in addition to the socioeconomic and population density issues?

Old 05-07-2020, 03:48 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
COVID-19 BY THE NUMBERS
  • Daily breakdown of latest cases in Nassau County

Data as of May 07, 2020
Posting updated at 5:00 p.m. daily

Based on data from these local hospitals: Glen Cove Hospital, LIJ Valley Stream, Mercy Medical Center, NUMC, North Shore University, Plainview Hospital, Mt Sinai South Nassau, St Francis Hospital, St Joseph Hospital, Syosset Hospital.

https://www.nassaucountyny.gov/4974/...By-The-Numbers

INTERACTIVE MAP
  • Positive cases in Nassau County by community

https://nassau-county.maps.arcgis.co...be7d4714fedb56

Old 05-09-2020, 04:49 AM

5,049 posts, read 3,954,202 times
/\ Is there a way to get county daily Covid 19-related deaths (not running total) on a website in Nassau?

NYC reports 47 deaths (on 5/6/2020) down from a high of 577 (4/7/2020). The chart showing daily deaths clearly shows the trend:
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

Update/Edit: I did find on Newsday that there were a total of 14 Covid-related deaths in Nassau on 5/7. https://www.newsday.com/news/health/...and-1.43149650

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 05-09-2020 at 05:20 AM..

Old 05-09-2020, 05:00 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
I’m pretty sure NYC has had some days well into the 700’s. And I believe one day over 800 deaths.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:46 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
/\ Is there a way to get county daily Covid 19-related deaths (not running total) on a website in Nassau?

NYC reports 47 deaths (on 5/6/2020) down from a high of 577 (4/7/2020). The chart showing daily deaths clearly shows the trend:
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

Update/Edit: I did find on Newsday that there were a total of 14 Covid-related deaths in Nassau on 5/7. https://www.newsday.com/news/health/...and-1.43149650
I appreciate the way the NYC data is presented at the above site, it's much easier to get a 'snapshot' analysis by considering.

Nassau County's raw data is there however the way it's presented is not as effective.

Thanks for posting, much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island