Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 05:57 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times

Advertisements

The one piece of info that is missing in all these numbers that I would like to see:

IF you do 10 tests and 8 are positive that is serious.

We get daily totals of the numbers that are positive, but never the number that have been tested, which really changes the interpretation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 06:05 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandtireddad View Post
I looked at the latest Covid Map.. Poor (less affluent) neighborhoods are getting an inordinate number of cases.
Are some of those areas more densely populated than some of the wealthier North Shore areas??

Old 03-25-2020, 06:22 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The one piece of info that is missing in all these numbers that I would like to see:

We get daily totals of the numbers that are positive, but never the number that have been tested, which really changes the interpretation.
Agreed.

Hopefully the global community will share & benefit.

Like Iceland seems to have committed to doing:

The nearly universal testing in Iceland will likely provide very useful information. I first became aware of Iceland from the animated graph near the bottom of this page right here on City-Data site ( Source: John Hopkins University ):

Global coronavirus coverage

Confirmed COVID-19 cases per 1 million country residents: (updated Mar 23, 2020)

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/coronavirus/

From there I sought more information about Iceland & its pragmatic approach:

Coronavirus Cases Without Symptoms Spur Call for Wider Tests
  • Iceland finds half of positive cases have no disease traits
  • Researchers call for wider testing to identify virus carriers

Quote:
Iceland, which says it’s tested a higher proportion of inhabitants than any other country, found that about half those who tested positive have no symptoms of Covid-19, Thorolfur Gudnason, the nation’s chief epidemiologist, told BuzzFeed News. As many as a third of the people who test positive show delayed symptoms or none at all, the South China Morning Post reported Sunday, citing classified data from the Chinese government.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...m-scmp-reports

Iceland was at the top of that graph as having the highest number of Confirmed COVID-19 cases per 1 million country residents. They've also been testing at a higher proportion than any other country.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:26 AM

More info here:

Large scale testing of general population in Iceland underway

From a Government Press Conference. Daily press conferences have been held since the end of February.

Updated on March 21, 2020, at 17:20 GMT
  • Iceland has tested 9 768 individuals for COVID-19, which translates to 26 762 per million, compared with 6 343 in South Korea and 13 999 in Bahrein
  • Iceland has tested a higher proportion of inhabitants than any other country after deCode genetics started offering free screening among the general, non-symptomatic, non-quarantined population
  • deCode has published the results of a total of 5 571 tests. Those have yielded 48 positive results (0.86%) indicating that the prevelance of the virus is modest among the general population.
  • A total of 473 cases have been identified in Iceland since the first case on February 28th. One person with COVID-19 has died. Twelve individuals with COVID-19 are hospitalized.

Quote:
It will remain the focus of Icelandic authorities to slow down the spread of the virus in order to protect the infrastructure of the healthcare system. Iceland will also focus on using its geographic location and high testing capabilities to provide information and data to the global scientific community in order to contribute to a better understanding and help limit the damage being done by the pandemic.
https://www.government.is/news/artic...land-underway/[/quote]

Old 03-25-2020, 07:16 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Quote:

Here is everything anyone wants to see. There is a tab to see how many tests were done - NY is leading the nation (good job).

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

The most important thing is - what are you doing after the test. If you are not doing contact tracing, the test is just a number telling you the most obvious - that there is an infection around.

For contact tracing we need a $h#tload of tests..... we have missed that bus.
Ideally, we would test folks who are infected but do not exhibit symptoms - so that we can ask them to quarantine instead of giving it to 2-3 others before they fall sick.

Iceland is great (small) and a small city VO in Italy also did it, but for a country like USA .... fuggetaboutit !
Stay safe all.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:53 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Are some of those areas more densely populated than some of the wealthier North Shore areas??

I'm going to guess the lower income areas with higher COVID rates, probably have more underlying medical conditions (asthma, COPD, lung disease, diabetes etc). Therefore they are more likely to experience symptoms or feel sick enough to qualify for COVID testing.

I'm pretty sure if we hypothetically tested everyone on LI, the exposure rate is probably much higher then we think. But getting enough symptoms to get tested with current guidelines is another thing.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:51 AM

NASSAU COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH COVID-19 POSITIVE TESTS*

MARCH 24, 2020
DATA ENDING 4:00PM

https://www.nassaucountyny.gov/Docum...---3-25?bidId=

Old 03-25-2020, 10:57 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
More info here:

Large scale testing of general population in Iceland underway

From a Government Press Conference. Daily press conferences have been held since the end of February.

Updated on March 21, 2020, at 17:20 GMT
  • Iceland has tested 9 768 individuals for COVID-19, which translates to 26 762 per million, compared with 6 343 in South Korea and 13 999 in Bahrein
  • Iceland has tested a higher proportion of inhabitants than any other country after deCode genetics started offering free screening among the general, non-symptomatic, non-quarantined population
  • deCode has published the results of a total of 5 571 tests. Those have yielded 48 positive results (0.86%) indicating that the prevelance of the virus is modest among the general population.
  • A total of 473 cases have been identified in Iceland since the first case on February 28th. One person with COVID-19 has died. Twelve individuals with COVID-19 are hospitalized.

https://www.government.is/news/artic...land-underway/
Unless it's an at-home test, I'm not sure I'd go and subject myself to that environment voluntarily if I'm not exhibiting symptoms. Self-quarantine 2-3 weeks... I'm good.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Unless it's an at-home test, I'm not sure I'd go and subject myself to that environment voluntarily if I'm not exhibiting symptoms. Self-quarantine 2-3 weeks... I'm good.
Suggesting we can learn from them, it's too late to implement what they did when they realized the situation, from day 1, so to speak.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:44 AM

155 posts, read 101,003 times
Quote:

What is the denominator.. that is the question you are asking.

The real issue is "How many people need hospitalization vs the the finite resources available"

What value do you place on old folks, folks that vape, folks that are overweight, folks with untreated high blood pressure, and folks with type 2.

By treating everyone you will kill folks that would normally be cured and live another day. There are direct victims and then collateral damage.

Not political here; take a look at Governor Cuomo and then take a look at President Trump on youtube. Ignore both personalities and all political bias. Who is handing out better information and who has a plan?
Being old, Last guy I liked was Nixon btw. Above is an intelligence test in critical thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island