Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 08:52 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times

Advertisements

I am guessing that the lawn cutting services are not deemed "essential businesses" under the official guidelines:

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/...rus-1.43347238

They are neither a skilled trade nor "construction" in the normal sense. So the question is, will they operate anyway? Or will it depend on whether they also have a brick & mortar retail operation rather than just a truck and trailer kept in the business owner's side yard?

Guess we will find out in a couple of weeks.

Theoretically a lawn mowing service should be among the least risky of business operations because there's typically no interaction with the customer. And I would guess that from a financial point of view, the small one-truck/2 or 3 guys type of business will be among the most motivated to skirt the new rules and operate anyway.

However, if they don't, many neighborhoods may see a resurgence of the circa 1950s/60s scenario of young people wanting to cut neighbor's lawns to earn money.

Or their parent wanting to, for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 09:28 AM

376 posts, read 310,619 times
If you look at the detailed list, lawn care is essential. Lawn companies will continue to provide service.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:13 AM

Thanks; do you have a link for the detailed list? The list in Newsday doesn't mention lawn care services, and doesn't have a link to any other NY state list.

(Obviously, other states may have lists that differ from ours.)

Old 03-21-2020, 10:36 AM

577 posts, read 979,308 times
The list of exempt or essential bushiness is so long that Fredo's brother should have his minions issue the listing of businesses that have to shut down!

Old 03-21-2020, 01:45 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
This morning, the (unfortunately) familiar sound of leaf blowers was heard - they were working in my neighbors yard!!!

Old 03-21-2020, 02:29 PM

Ah, but will they do so after Sunday's deadline?

My guess is probably yes, regardless of what the official guidelines say.

So our Long Island lawns will continue to be neatly trimmed, most likely. Which is more than we may be able to say about the male population if the barbershops (are there even any of those anymore? LOL) and hair salons remain closed for months!

Old 03-21-2020, 02:43 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Ah, but will they do so after Sunday's deadline?

My guess is probably yes, regardless of what the official guidelines say.

So our Long Island lawns will continue to be neatly trimmed, most likely. Which is more than we may be able to say about the male population if the barbershops (are there even any of those anymore? LOL) and hair salons remain closed for months!
There are plenty of those around

The "roots" of many will be showing though

Old 03-21-2020, 03:22 PM

412 posts, read 289,462 times
So everyone will be working home and forced to listen to that absurd chorus of leaf blowers. I was going to sit on my porch but a neighbor is having a spring cleanup done. I've never understood the spring cleanup. After I do my first cut of the year and clean out a few beds, and sweep along the curb, my yard looks the same or better as those who paid for a noisy, smelly spring cleanup. Those blowers just seem to be used to give the impression that hard work is being done.

Do you think they can blow the virus around??

Old 03-21-2020, 03:43 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
So everyone will be working home and forced to listen to that absurd chorus of leaf blowers. I was going to sit on my porch but a neighbor is having a spring cleanup done. I've never understood the spring cleanup. After I do my first cut of the year and clean out a few beds, and sweep along the curb, my yard looks the same or better as those who paid for a noisy, smelly spring cleanup. Those blowers just seem to be used to give the impression that hard work is being done.

Do you think they can blow the virus around??
What you are doing IS a spring cleanup, they probably do it 5X as fast and much better with machines and more guys. How long could they possibly have been there?

Old 03-21-2020, 03:48 PM

412 posts, read 289,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
What you are doing IS a spring cleanup, they probably do it 5X as fast and much better with machines and more guys. How long could they possibly have been there?
3 hours so far. I do it faster and with less noise and pollution and my yard looks better.

Any other questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island