Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 08:27 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
So tired of hearing this. It is extremely likely. The first known case in the US was January 15th. Not to mention that it could have come from other countries as well.

I am not the only one either.
So the first known case but you were sick with it 2 weeks earlier? That would mean you caught it at least 5-7 days prior to that as people generally don’t display symptoms for a week or so. That would mean you were infected around Christmas Day.

Where did you get it from? Where did that person get it from?

There are plenty of other viruses going around.

When the post-infection tests are available then you can request one and confirm whether or not you got it or not. I strongly suspect not, whether you’re “tired of hearing this” or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 08:31 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionking0731 View Post
Also, unless you traveled to East Asia sometime late last year, it is highly unlikely you contracted the virus prior to February 2020 in the North Eastern US. If so, you should contact the CDC as you likely were in contact with patient 0 in the US, who is believed to have been in Washington state.
First, off, why? This assumes the China had an absolute 100% lock down on every case and were 100% honest, highly unlikely. I do actually work on as subway line that goes to the airport in a major US city.

Thus, it is likely that people who either traveled to the USA over the holiday OR traveled back from overseas had it and gave it to me via the subway car.

I can see if this was 4 months before hand but two weeks from the first reported USA case?

I would contact the CDC but they are a little busy right now. I can hardly get my regular doctor to talk to me she is so obsessed with the "pandemic".

Old 03-22-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
When the post-infection tests are available then you can request one and confirm whether or not you got it or not. I strongly suspect not, whether you’re “tired of hearing this” or not.

It cracks me up. When Trump says this is a hoax -- you guys are all over him. But when YOU say I didn't have it, with zero evidence of that... it is a totally different thing.

Ridiculous. Not to mention there are tons of people reporting they had this.

My co workers did as well.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:47 AM

38 posts, read 30,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
So the first known case but you were sick with it 2 weeks earlier? That would mean you caught it at least 5-7 days prior to that as people generally don’t display symptoms for a week or so. That would mean you were infected around Christmas Day.

Where did you get it from? Where did that person get it from?

There are plenty of other viruses going around.

This lady definitely became infected with Covid-19 on the subway in December 2019 going against what the CDC and doctors in peer reviewed medical journals have written about the virus's initial spread in the US. And we wonder why we can't even get folks to self quarantine.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:56 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
Let me understand this. I had the flu many times. (Have not had since getting the flu shot) High fever, chills, achy, couldn’t get out of bed for 1-2 weeks, ect.....
But if I “think” I might have CV, I can DRIVE myself to any outdoor testing facility?

Old 03-22-2020, 08:56 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
We know a couple that cancelled a party on NY Eve because they thought they both had the flu. They both said it was the worst they ever felt and had coughs and fever. We were not looking for it then, so, perhaps it has been here longer than initially thought, we probably will never really know.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:06 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Testing decisions are based upon those showing symptoms. Fever is the #1 symptom. Then shortness of breath. It's done this way to only use tests on those that likely have it and need immediate medical treatment. Severe cases require treatment, while mild cases will be told to self quarantine at home.

Seems to me it should be the other way around. No need to test those that are symptomatic. Assume they have it, quarantine, and treat. If symptoms are light, treat at home. If symptoms are severe, treat in medical facility. Doesn't matter if it's CV, flu, or something else.

On the other hand, if someone is asymptomatic but concerned for some reason, those are the ones at most risk of spreading it. We are all accustomed to avoiding people and taking precautions when we feel sick and show signs of being sick, but not so much when we feel fine and appear to be fine. That is why this virus is spreading so fast.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:09 AM

38 posts, read 30,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
We know a couple that cancelled a party on NY Eve because they thought they both had the flu. They both said it was the worst they ever felt and had coughs and fever. We were not looking for it then, so, perhaps it has been here longer than initially thought, we probably will never really know.
Scientists can trace the virus based upon strands. January 21st is the first confirmed case. There are facts out there that science can back up. The 'we were not looking for it then' or 'we probably will never really know' talk is not how science works. The CDC was aware of the virus. Scientists/medical professionals were looking for it. However, patient 0 did not show up until January 2020 and cases did not spread until February 2020.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-factsheet.pdf

Old 03-22-2020, 09:14 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Scientists can trace the virus based upon strands. January 21st is the first confirmed case. There are facts out there that science can back up. The 'we were not looking for it then' or 'we probably will never really know' talk is not how science works. The CDC was aware of the virus. Scientists/medical professionals were looking for it. However, patient 0 did not show up until January 2020 and cases did not spread until February 2020.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-factsheet.pdf

But if patient 0 had not shown up and instead rode it out at home, then he would have never been known as patient 0. It might have then been a week later before a patient showed up and was "confirmed", with the record books logging patient 0 as Jan 28th. But that would not change the fact that the previous guy had it.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
This lady definitely became infected with Covid-19 on the subway in December 2019 going against what the CDC and doctors in peer reviewed medical journals have written about the virus's initial spread in the US. And we wonder why we can't even get folks to self quarantine.
No one was even testing for this until mid January. There was no way anyone could have known for sure if there was an earlier case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island