Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 01:08 PM

56 posts, read 244,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snforstuff View Post
Has anyone here bought a ranch and added a floor? Are you happy with the results and would you recommend your builder or contractor? i am considering taking on a project like this and would like to know if anyone has any information or suggestions? Is it worth it?
My husband (andybuildz) & I did that with our last house- actually it was a cape- it would have been a whole lot easier if it were a ranch to begin with because first we had to eliminate the existing upstairs. Personally I thought it was a nightmare, but we did it because the neighborhood could carry it & it was an appreciating market then. So I would say there's got to be a really great reason for you to even consider it- such as you HAVE to have the neighborhood. Besides the obvious financial considerations (cost of construction & increased taxes) the biggest thing you better consider is getting a good architect because there's nothing worse than a Colonial that looks like it used to be something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 04:51 PM

21 posts, read 59,808 times
i used precision home remodeling and was very happy with my addition

Old 04-27-2008, 05:15 PM

5 posts, read 18,422 times
Quote:
Has anyone here bought a ranch and added a floor? Are you happy with the results and would you recommend your builder or contractor? i am considering taking on a project like this and would like to know if anyone has any information or suggestions? Is it worth it?
Adding on is usually a nightmare. Didn't add a floor but did something similar. We added an upstairs room. We searched for the best contractors, did the whole route and our contractor did not do well by us. My sister and a friend added a floor, big trouble for both.
We had to go through more construction a few years later and felt confident that we had learned plenty. We even hired a great architect but that didn't make things any better. We went through hell again, it seemed the contractor tried to take advantage of us every step of the way. I will never do an addition to a house again. If you do, make sure that they have an insurance with their name, current date and that it covers you completely.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Before you do anything, you need to know if adding a floor to a ranch has a realistic chance to be approved regarding building codes, zoning laws, certificate of occupancy, etc., in the municipality where the ranch house is, even if you are NOT adding it to rent it out as a two family or to become a mother daughter house. Sure people do construction on the sly, but if they want to sell the house later on they will have a hard time selling if they don't have the proper permits, etc., to show.

I agree with the other posters that say it is too much time and money to do all that construction and it would be better to find a house that has 2 stories in the first place if that is what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island