Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 11:28 AM

244 posts, read 634,097 times

Advertisements

Got into a minor fender bender yesterday. Other person fully admits fault, I have pictures, the other persons info etc.

Just wondering if it’s worth it to put in a claim for something small? I read something that said NY has no fault which means that my insurance could go up even though the other person admits 100% fault. Is that true?

I just have one small ding on the bumper and the right side of the bumper is popping out a little so it’s not bad. And With everything going on I’d prefer to avoid a premium increase.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 11:45 AM

106,648 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzilla View Post
Got into a minor fender bender yesterday. Other person fully admits fault, I have pictures, the other persons info etc.

Just wondering if it’s worth it to put in a claim for something small? I read something that said NY has no fault which means that my insurance could go up even though the other person admits 100% fault. Is that true?

I just have one small ding on the bumper and the right side of the bumper is popping out a little so it’s not bad. And With everything going on I’d prefer to avoid a premium increase.

Thoughts?
no fault has nothing to do with property damage . it applies to medical payments and lost wages ...

i would not get my insurer involved ....call and deal with theirs if they admit it.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:27 PM

244 posts, read 634,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no fault has nothing to do with property damage . it applies to medical payments and lost wages ...

i would not get my insurer involved ....call and deal with theirs if they admit it.
So if I have their info, would I just call their insurance company directly and not mine?

Old 04-07-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzilla View Post
So if I have their info, would I just call their insurance company directly and not mine?
Yes ...

Other wise your company will take out your deductible and you may have to wait to get it back ...plus if your company does not go after the company your clue report which is like your credit score for insurance will get dinged ....any payout by your company that they do not get back dings your clue report

Old 04-07-2020, 07:42 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Call the other person's company and report it. Leave yours out if at all possible. And don't be surprised if the other party suddenly decides they aren't at fault when their insurer calls them.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Call the other person's company and report it. Leave yours out if at all possible. And don't be surprised if the other party suddenly decides they aren't at fault when their insurer calls them.
this is so true .. it happens over and over

Old 04-08-2020, 01:53 AM

just so you understand no fault insurance .

in the old days if you were injured in an accident it was a fight getting lost wages and medical bills paid ...

no fault merely say your own company will pay them regardless of fault up front , and then they try to collect from the responsible party .

that has nothing to do with property damage , suing for negligence or anything else you want to sue for

Old 04-08-2020, 05:49 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
EXACTLY.....................and that's why you DO call your own insurance company, so they can help you if necessary. It's part of the coverage that you pay for.

And for those who say that it will take time to get reimbursed for your deductible, consider the other side of the coin. The other party suddenly claims it was YOUR fault, and with limited proof, YOU, or your insurance company gets stuck with the entire bill, and limited means to fight it.

It's worth possibly having to wait a little, to get reimbursed.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
EXACTLY.....................and that's why you DO call your own insurance company, so they can help you if necessary. It's part of the coverage that you pay for.

And for those who say that it will take time to get reimbursed for your deductible, consider the other side of the coin. The other party suddenly claims it was YOUR fault, and with limited proof, YOU, or your insurance company gets stuck with the entire bill, and limited means to fight it.

It's worth possibly having to wait a little, to get reimbursed.
you can always get your own company involved .... no one should have a blemish on their clue report that is not their fault because their own company paid and never collected from the other insurer .

i recommend talking to their company first ....you get an answer within days as to what the other persons report claims ... i have done exactly this a few times already .

only once did they recant their story ..in which case no big deal . i called my insurer and told them what happened and no problem .

Old 04-08-2020, 06:01 AM

it is a good idea to run your clue report every so often ....

you are entitled to a free copy once a year ..run home and auto , they are tracked individually ..

make sure the info is correct just like you would a credit report . clue contains all claims your insurer paid out on your behalf ... it is irrespective of fault ....if you cost them money and they were not reimbursed then it's there .

certain claims on your home can also be flagged to the property ... a buyer may have a hard time getting insurance or getting a high rate when a property is flagged as well as the claimant ... that expense of what they may consider higher risk stays with the property .

lexis nexis has a portal you can get your report from . the results in that report make up part of your insurance score which is used to set rates when shopping for insurance or looking to change companies .

https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: