Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 02:19 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times

Advertisements

I can assure as my wife is a NYC teacher you aren't forcing teachers to work w/o pay and you 10000000% aren't dissolving the union. UFT (nyc teachers union) is already suing the city for them working 2 extra days this week. I wont be shocked if they sue for spring break, the contract is the contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 03:03 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I agree that is why I said ceremonies. It will all depend up what they decide education is all about. Just my opinion, but I have not heard one average parent raving about the remote learning, let alone the below average student. Obviously I no longer live there and my sampling is limited, but friends and family are voicing this, so I am guessing it is at least being discussed. Additionally, assuming that the contract precludes forcing the teachers back, I will bet they will be against mass promotion because the burden then will really be on the next grade teacher.
My sister is a teacher. The parents who complain the loudest and widest (posts on FB, etc) are the same ones who always complain....now with the extra added benefit of seeing that the kids are doing absolutely zero of the work that has been posted. Teachers can see what the kids are doing, who has even tried to log on, etc. Some things will never change.

There is absolutely no way this school year will be repeated and if you think any teacher, principal or superintendent gives a rat's ass about what the next grade level teacher thinks you're crazy....all teachers know who the problem kids are by noon on the first day of school in kindergarten and they want them moving through the system as efficiently as possible. Here's the cold hard truth in public school - it takes all comers. It has to. And guess what? Some people are just dumb and they could stay in "x" grade for 3 years and still not get it, and that's why they are going on to the next grade. They gotta be moved through because the planning is done years in advance based on census. Does the next grade up teacher like it? No, that's why teachers and admins get together and place kids so that no one teacher is stuck with all of them, nor is any one teacher stuck with kids from "that" family. My sister has had several occasions to say "I've already had two of the Jones kids - not taking the next one. Sue has to do it this year".

There are so many moving pieces to how a school, district and state is run that is mind boggling to think that any parent could expect their kids to repeat the year. And ya know what else? Given the chance, most parents wouldn't take it anyway, if offered.

The school year is 80% over. It's not gonna happen. Honestly on LI if kids haven't learned most of what they need by now they weren't going to learn it anyway. Things are a little different here on the 4x4 block system and I am grateful beyond belief that I only have one kid to worry about, and she ended up with only one core class this semester (which rarely happens, they are supposed to have 2 core and 2 elective but she got 3 core last semester) and I also eternally grateful her core class is English, which is the easiest to miss out on at least for her. She got her math and science done first semester. As I said one of the first thing they told us is no one is repeating the year here (they'd end up with years worth of December grads if they did). There is an was so much up in the air but literally the first thing they told us in the middle of March was "no one is repeating a grade".

Old 04-12-2020, 06:23 AM

5,050 posts, read 3,954,202 times
If Nassau/Suffolk schools remain physically closed thru June, adjustments will be made to the various and usual benchmarks for passing/graduation. And kids will be notified of progress to the next grade level/graduation prior to the end of June. Kids who fail (as usual) will have an opportunity to attend summer school (if available and as usual).

Old 04-12-2020, 06:42 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
Falling behind? They all are gonna be pushed ahead.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:53 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I can assure as my wife is a NYC teacher you aren't forcing teachers to work w/o pay and you 10000000% aren't dissolving the union. UFT (nyc teachers union) is already suing the city for them working 2 extra days this week. I wont be shocked if they sue for spring break, the contract is the contract.
In a free society, you might be right.

If recent history has taught us anything, it's that the end justifies the means. With both end and means being whatever our ruling class decides it is.

Just declare a "state of education emergency." Issue an executive order to disband the union. Declare teachers must teach. Either declare they must work for free, or invent a new tax to pay them whatever Albany decides they are worth.

Ban gatherings of people in groups of four or more. Can't have you unionizing to undermine the education system. This is a public education crisis! "It's for the kids!"

Issue additional executive orders to ban any dissenting opinion or commentary from social media (i.e. fake news). Get mainstream news media to parrot government talking points (regardless of how much the points change).

We don't need a constitution and properly enacted laws in a time like this. We need rulers who are going to take the bull by the horns and do whatever THEY think is right.

If people get too antsy, just print some more money. Give 90% of it to some pet projects so the right palms get greased and throw the masses some crumbs to keep them happy. For extra measure, add in some political finger-pointing to further distract the masses and promote division.

/sarcasm

Old 04-12-2020, 06:58 AM

5,050 posts, read 3,954,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Falling behind? They all are gonna be pushed ahead.
Not sure if you we replying to me but I’d guess the adjustments to the usual benchmarks (Regents, classroom tests, etc.) to move on to the next grade and/or graduate mean that almost everyone will move on to the next grade and/or graduate as applicable.

So there would be no need for a universal summer school relative to the OP.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 04-12-2020 at 07:11 AM..

Old 04-12-2020, 09:57 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
lol at the idea that kids are missing out on a few months of common core garbage. Mine have learned more being outside and reading on their own than any modern state-run “education”. The only thing they’re missing out on is socializing.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:06 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
lol at the idea that kids are missing out on a few months of common core garbage. Mine have learned more being outside and reading on their own than any modern state-run “education”. The only thing they’re missing out on is socializing.
Now and then our pov's intersect. Like your post above. Spot on. Glad my kid isn't going to be bothered with a bunch of stressful, rote regents review. I taught my teen how to do a monthly profit/loss statement yesterday over pizza. The social part is tough though. That's all my kid misses about school.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:51 AM

259 posts, read 174,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvysyngr View Post
I just wanted to float this as an idea that maybe has been discussed elsewhere. With school being out, there is a very good chance that many of the kids are falling behind in their education. Distance education has left a lot to be desired in most communities and although, I personally have been able to keep my 6th grader up to speed, I know many parents don't have the time, energy or patience to do the same. Especially with the HS grade levels.

So if we get an 'All Clear' for May (for instance) that would only allow the kids to return to school for 6 weeks but if they work hard they may be able to get it done and avoid any extra instruction for the year BUT if the decision is made to close the school for the year (as DiBlasio prematurely threw out earlier today for NYC) we need another solution.

1 - Test kids and if they aren't up to standards, repeat the grade

2 - Let them graduate to the next grade and possibly catch up the following year (at the cost of a possible longer school day and a change in curriculum) - adding 20 min before and after school as well as a weekend workshop might be a solution.

3 - Mandatory Summer School - 9am-12pm (or 3pm) / 4 days a week for 6 weeks (with a choice of doing #1)

A lot of issues come up about all of this such as
1 - This would create a seperation of friends and create depression since some kids simply don't 'test well’.

2 - Less extracurricular activities will be available for the first year back. Added stress of additional work while they play catchup. Extra staff possibly needed.

3 - Not all schools have AC (something that can be rectified easily by putting aside funds and hiring a contractor who can actually get it done right now as the schools are empty). Parents not able to send their kids away for summer camp/beach clubs/etc. Cost of transporting children to and from Summer School.

One of the things I hear is how teachers won't do the extra work needed and how it will cost a fortune to get them to do it but my argument is, if these teachers don't want to work WITH their districts then we should dissolve their unions and allow them to be replaced with people who are on line for their jobs. Yes, harsh but it’s a new day.

You might hate everything I have put in this post which is why I would love to hear a solution that I may have missed - from my POV one of these things WILL NEED to happen and as 'grown ups' we will need to put down our cell phones and make difficult decisions that NEED to be made asap for our communities and children.
1)What tests would be used for the 'standards?
2) I think you would have a lot of push back from parents, kids and teachers on this.
3) No AC in many schools. You say that can be done now by putting aside funds ot do so. What funds? Where is this money magically coming from?

There is no mechanism to 'dissolve' the teachers unions. The taylor law, the one that outlaw strikes, also guarantees the right to organize and negotiate collectively via unions.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:02 AM

731 posts, read 724,718 times
NYSED is pleased to announce that the 2019-20 school year had zero retentions and failures to graduate. Everyone moves on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island