Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 1,335 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I live in an illegal apartment within the Township of Huntington, not in the village. Since the pandemic hit and my store is closed (I cannot earn money right now, plus I'm over 60 and no longer want to face the public anyway ) my only other option is to earn money from home. I used to work in information technology and can easily earn money doing various things in that field, but I do not have my own Internet service. Right now I "piggyback" off my landlord's wi-fi, which is I think often the case with these places. Wi-fi is not good enough though for professional IT work and no place will hire me under those circumstances. For the second time I asked my landlord if I can arrange for my own service. He seems to be stonewalling a bit, I think he's afraid the ISP will somehow report to the town.

Specifically has anyone heard of the Town of Huntington "going after" homeowners with an illegal rental, via Internet service providers such as Optimum or Verizon Fios giving the town information? When I called some of the ISP's with questions and asked them that particular question they laughed and said many of their customers were in illegal apartments, and they were never asked to provide customer lists or anything.

Anyway just wondering if anyone's heard of this. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 02:40 PM

783 posts, read 1,422,272 times
Another option and probably cheaper is to ask Landlord to upgrade internet speed and you pay the difference.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:45 PM

Thanks, but I cannot contract work unless I have control of the connection. One time they went away and it quit working. Cannot have that!!!!

Old 04-16-2020, 06:09 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Tell him you need to run and pay for your own business class internet to make money TO PAY RENT. The idea that the town, which has nothing to do with the utility, is going to trace the ISP is patently ridiculous. We have two internet connections in my house - one is the home internet and one is my business internet.Not even through the same company. The idea that someone can't legitimately have two lines is so silly I can't believe I'm explaining it to an IT professional.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:18 AM

Thanks twingles, but I believe you've missed the entire point of what I was asking. I only wanted to find out whether anyone has heard of this concern in this local area. I am completely aware there can be two separate connections to the same house!!!! Sorry, that was mildly insulting to someone who has been on a small team managing a 2500-node college network. And yes my comments for my landlord were carefully chosen; he's aware if I'm unable to earn money I'm so out of here. This is delicate though which is why I was casting around for a bit more information. That's all. So you needn't "explain" anything to this particular IT professional. The industry organizations who hold my three certifications are completely happy with my technical expertise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: