Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 12:06 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
NY and CA don't pay federal taxes.
Umm, NYS pays approx $250 billion to the Federal Govt annually. We pay about $25 billion MORE than we receive. Mostly alcohol, fuel, consumption taxes. WE don't get saved by the Fed. WE subsidize the welfare queen red states like Mississippi and McConnell's KY, we subsidize the retirement social security states like Florida and we subsidize the Fed worker bee states like Virginia and Maryland. NYers just love to hate ourselves and think the grass is greener where the traffic is light. Maybe so, but we are the engine, the hardest workers, the most diverse, the welcome mat to the world and we support the rest of the country more than they support us. Call it "elite" or just call it reality. I have business owner friends in Austin, TX who hire almost any qualified NYer that walks through the door. It's a work ethic thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 12:25 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Don't forget SALT. NY'ers deducting all that tax from their Fed returns....who subsidized that?
No one because even with the SALT deductions NY still gave far more than it got back, and states like Kentucky that had little of those deductions still received far more than they paid.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:06 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Umm, NYS pays approx $250 billion to the Federal Govt annually. We pay about $25 billion MORE than we receive. Mostly alcohol, fuel, consumption taxes. WE don't get saved by the Fed. WE subsidize the welfare queen red states like Mississippi and McConnell's KY, we subsidize the retirement social security states like Florida and we subsidize the Fed worker bee states like Virginia and Maryland. NYers just love to hate ourselves and think the grass is greener where the traffic is light. Maybe so, but we are the engine, the hardest workers, the most diverse, the welcome mat to the world and we support the rest of the country more than they support us. Call it "elite" or just call it reality. I have business owner friends in Austin, TX who hire almost any qualified NYer that walks through the door. It's a work ethic thing.
The state pays alcohol, fuel and consumption taxes? Or its residents do?

Old 05-02-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The state pays alcohol, fuel and consumption taxes? Or its residents do?
Is this really a question you had, captain literal?! Do you not get how taxes work? There are ABC after school specials you can google for that. The state COLLECTS the taxes and sends it to the FED. Umm, does the Fed "give" us THEIR money or do they RETURN our own tax money to us (less 10 cents out of every dollar)?! Apparently, most on these forums think the Fed subsidizes us with McConnell money. Again, we pay more in, get less back.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Is this really a question you had, captain literal?! Do you not get how taxes work? There are ABC after school specials you can google for that. The state COLLECTS the taxes and sends it to the FED. Umm, does the Fed "give" us THEIR money or do they RETURN our own tax money to us (less 10 cents out of every dollar)?! Apparently, most on these forums think the Fed subsidizes us with McConnell money. Again, we pay more in, get less back.
Why do you have to be rude in response? Must be tough to be miserable all the time.

People and businesses pay taxes to the federal government (and state government) and the federal government provides services and funding in return to the state.

A (people and business) gives to B (state) and C (fed) and then C gives to B. B never gives to C directly (collecting “on behalf of” doesn’t count). But maybe I missed something. If I did let me know.

If personal income went down in NY then taxes paid would go down. Likewise, if federal programs went up for NY then that would change the equation as well. Maybe instead of kvetching here you can call Schumer and Gillibrand.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Why do you have to be rude in response? Must be tough to be miserable all the time.

People and businesses pay taxes to the federal government (and state government) and the federal government provides services and funding in return to the state.

A (people and business) gives to B (state) and C (fed) and then C gives to B. B never gives to C directly (collecting “on behalf of” doesn’t count). But maybe I missed something. If I did let me know.

If personal income went down in NY then taxes paid would go down. Likewise, if federal programs went up for NY then that would change the equation as well. Maybe instead of kvetching here you can call Schumer and Gillibrand.
Oh, I get it now. You spout passive aggressive misinformation and act smarmy and magnanimous about it, then call me rude. Tough noogies, bro. I'm one of the least miserable people I know. You just cannot seem to accept we are a giver state not a taker one and keep re-posting that same false premise. I know you hate Cuomo and our taxes are too high and our teachers are greedy and we're the poster children for govt hackery and corruption... I was saying it and working on it long before you hit the LICD. Fought hard for the 2% tax cap which may have saved LI. No sweat. You're on the right track...just wrong facts. McConnelll is not the answer to NYs economic woes. In fact, he's a bigger part of the problem than Cuomo. For all the big smack talk on here, I'm still waiting to see the pics of the U-Hauls loaded up for Kentucky since NY sux so bad. McConnell awaits with open arms. May even bake you a pie if you bring enough of that NY loot. NY's economy ranks roughly 13th. KY....wait for it...47th. Crapping on NY earns votes from his rubes, that's all. Simple. Oh, and I didn't vote for Schumer or Gillibrand. Kvetching is a good one. A little aggressive, a little passive, a little yiddish to hide it. Smooth.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 05-03-2020 at 06:32 AM..

Old 05-03-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Oh, I get it now. You spout passive aggressive misinformation and act smarmy and magnanimous about it, then call me rude. Tough noogies, bro. I'm one of the least miserable people I know. You just cannot seem to accept we are a giver state not a taker one and keep re-posting that same false premise. I know you hate Cuomo and our taxes are too high and our teachers are greedy and we're the poster children for govt hackery and corruption... I was saying it and working on it long before you hit the LICD. Fought hard for the 2% tax cap which may have saved LI. No sweat. You're on the right track...just wrong facts. McConnelll is not the answer to NYs economic woes. In fact, he's a bigger part of the problem than Cuomo. For all the big smack talk on here, I'm still waiting to see the pics of the U-Hauls loaded up for Kentucky since NY sux so bad. McConnell awaits with open arms. May even bake you a pie if you bring enough of that NY loot. NY's economy ranks roughly 13th. KY....wait for it...47th. Crapping on NY earns votes from his rubes, that's all. Simple. Oh, and I didn't vote for Schumer or Gillibrand. Kvetching is a good one. A little aggressive, a little passive, a little yiddish to hide it. Smooth.
Thanks for confirming my earlier point.

I do agree with the 2% tax cap, that’s was necessary.

Good day.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:32 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,912 times
Quote:
Thanks for confirming my earlier point.

I do agree with the 2% tax cap, that’s was necessary.

Good day.
The tax cap is probably the greatest political achievement in the history of NY state. I think Cuomo is a grade A piece of garbage. The tax cap trumps and negates all the wasteful spending he’s done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island