Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 12:56 PM

99 posts, read 54,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I drove by the Stony Brook testing site in the parking lot a few times this week and all I see is one police guard standing with his arms folded. Nothing happening there at all.
The new case number in the entire USA is steady around 30,000 a day. NY is going down in new casee and some places are going up.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:26 PM

And a new note from the landlord via my lawyer

They WILL NOT accept the security deposit as rent.
They are waiving late fees and late charges if I become current.

Lawyer said to stuff em as they are demonstrating bad faith and running against the weight of law via executive orders.

At the same time he said find a new place to live ASAP. He believes that if I high tail it out of here when I can he will be able to mitigate any negative ramification. I have to keep notes as to the steps I take to reduce my damage and their damage.

Basically he wants me to be clean and them to be dirty.

Its a good time to move to Austin and I have some feelers out.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:43 PM

537 posts, read 1,447,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolodex View Post
And a new note from the landlord via my lawyer

They WILL NOT accept the security deposit as rent.
They are waiving late fees and late charges if I become current.

Lawyer said to stuff em as they are demonstrating bad faith and running against the weight of law via executive orders.

They shouldn't accept security deposit as last month's rent. Security deposit should be used as a deposit for damages.

It doesn't matter if your place was just inspected. There is nothing stopping you from damaging the rental between now and vacating.

They are waiving late fees and deferring payments interest free. What else do you expect them to do? Waive the actual rental payments? That's not happening.

Old 05-10-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
They shouldn't accept security deposit as last month's rent. Security deposit should be used as a deposit for damages.

It doesn't matter if your place was just inspected. There is nothing stopping you from damaging the rental between now and vacating.

They are waiving late fees and deferring payments interest free. What else do you expect them to do? Waive the actual rental payments? That's not happening.
I would expect them to obey the law, the executive order has the weight of law.

Old 05-10-2020, 02:13 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
I would expect them to obey the law, the executive order has the weight of law.
What law are they not obeying?

Old 05-10-2020, 02:25 PM

26 posts, read 8,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
While evictions could take months because courts are closed, the right thing to do is work out a payment plan with the landlord and make payments that you’re comfortable making for the time being. It doesn’t matter what religion you’re but Karma is real. And many people are using this time to intentionally get away from paying obligations they agreed to. The energy you put out is the same energy you will receive. Nothing ever goes unnoticed, and life will hit you when you least expect it.
So very true.

Old 05-10-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
What law are they not obeying?

https://nysba.org/summary-of-executive-order-202-28/

Old 05-10-2020, 02:41 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Your own link says tenants and landlords MAY enter into an agreement not that the landlord has to agree to it. I am not a lawyer, but the word may does not sound obligatory.

Old 05-10-2020, 02:53 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Your own link says tenants and landlords MAY enter into an agreement not that the landlord has to agree to it. I am not a lawyer, but the word may does not sound obligatory.
That is what it sounds like to me.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:05 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post

This.

Thought this was an known, obvious thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island