Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 09:54 AM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
Get used to it. You will be wearing masks in high density areas forever, as many has been the case in asia for years. Does that mean every day at Costco? Probably not. But on LIRR, at sporting events, malls, concerts, etc., sure. The virus density was higher on long island than anywhere in the world. It is naive to say this is a NYC problem, or a city problem.
FWIW - I think folks routinely dump the NYC suburbs in the 'NYC-area' descriptor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 10:09 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
We're having a few issues here in the 'burbs'. Two weeks ago my GF and I were standing on the sidewalk at a busy intersection waiting for the light in order to cross, an elderly lady with two cocker spaniels on leashes in tow came down the sidewalk on a three wheeler that took up the entire sidewalk. Not stopping and with a scowl on her face she said "excuse me!" and we were faced with either stepping into a hedgerow or out into busy traffic.

Then a mother was riding down a road with her young daughter on the sidewalk coming up behind us. Again we got a nearly last minute "excuse me" before nearly getting a fender in the calf with the protective mother looking over at us just waiting for us to challenge the daughter and/or not move.

Dog laws are completely out the window, people are seemingly taking them everywhere, unleashed in many instances. Less waste cleanup efforts being made from what Iv'e seen.

The problem with rewriting the laws/rules in this unique situation is that two can play.
haha I'm one of those people that will sometimes challenge people who think they can walk directly into my path. People with kids in strollers (especially moms) ,the self-important well dressed businesswoman in NYC who thinks her agenda is more important than mine. I usually don't challenge old ladies (famous for cutting in front of me in line in Target/supermarkets), although I would like to.
These days I just move the heck out of the way.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:26 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
It wasn’t until like a month ago where is actually seen people out here start taking this very seriously. If everyone would have done their job as soon as they said to it wouldn’t have been that bad here on LI. We lived and learned the hard way unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
Get used to it. You will be wearing masks in high density areas forever, as many has been the case in asia for years. Does that mean every day at Costco? Probably not. But on LIRR, at sporting events, malls, concerts, etc., sure. The virus density was higher on long island than anywhere in the world. It is naive to say this is a NYC problem, or a city problem.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:29 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
It wasn’t until like a month ago where is actually seen people out here start taking this very seriously. If everyone would have done their job as soon as they said to it wouldn’t have been that bad here on LI. We lived and learned the hard way unfortunately.
I agree. I wish we had competent federal leadership that had a plan back at its inception, like every other nation in the world.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:34 AM

99 posts, read 54,700 times
Unlike China we are all on different pages, we all have different viewpoints, different opinions, and different facts.
If we were all on the same page this crisis would not be as bad as it is.

Local and State governments cannot even agree on what to do.

My take on it;

An 95 mask and a pair of nitrate gloves per person per day would be allot cheaper then shutting the whole economy down. Of course medical masks and gloves are all made in China so that is not going to happen. Nobody is going to agree to be on the same page. Americans are very selfish.

Until everyone is on the same page this crisis will continue unless it burns itself out.
In chaos you have to figure out what is best for you to do. PS.. I have not heard back from my landlord.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:52 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
People are relentlessly attacking others on social media and on these boards with posts about COVID. It seems to be out of some odd sense of duty or support of unnecessary overbearing government regulations while using completely innaccurate information. I just want to lay out a few facts and relay some stats released this week in New York. Some people on here need to hear this. Obviously, not everyone.

First, most masks are not meant to protect the wearer. They are to protect others from the wearer, so please stop telling people that they will die and infect their whole family if they leave the house without a mask.

Second, masks are NOT REQUIRED outdoors if you can maintain social distance. So, please stop telling bikers and joggers that they should be wearing masks. It just makes you sound unintelligent. It would also be dangerous to the wearer to exercise like that... unlike the pretend danger that you are yelling about.

Lastly, there were some very encouraging stats released this week. The antibody testing indicates that 20% of the NYS population has already been infected. This puts the death rate at 0.6%, which is most likely still inflated because all deaths due to natural causes are being attributed to COVID right now. Of the 0.6% that died, 95% of those were over 70 years old or had a KNOWN pre-existing condition. That makes the odds of a healthy person being killed by COVID very close to zero. (Please don't be the one to refute this with a cherry picked case from another state). Obviously, there will still be the occasional unexplained tragedy.

With all that being said, it's time to get Long Island and NYS back to our new normal. The vulnerable and elderly should continue to quarantine. The rest should get back to work while continuing to practice increased hygiene. The initial explanation for the quarantine was to "flatten the curve" and give our Healthcare system a chance to prepare and not become overwhelmed. We now have an excess of facilities and personnel ready to go. We are in fact turning away the USNS Comfort because it is no longer necessary. The quarantine was not supposed to be a means to iradicate the virus and it is ineffective as such. Be smart and safe everyone, but don't give in to the fear and abundance of bad information out there.
OP, what line of medicine are you in? It's good that we can have our health professionals weigh in.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-27-2020, 11:11 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
This was our first time to the rodeo with something this severe. SARS, Zurika, Mad Cow, Swine flu, etc etc didn’t do anything to us like this. We were caught with a pants down. Let’s face it. But it won’t happen again.

China’s approach was so hard stance because they knew exactly what they were dealing with! But lied to everyone else. Period!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolodex View Post
Unlike China we are all on different pages, we all have different viewpoints, different opinions, and different facts.
If we were all on the same page this crisis would not be as bad as it is.

Local and State governments cannot even agree on what to do.

My take on it;

An 95 mask and a pair of nitrate gloves per person per day would be allot cheaper then shutting the whole economy down. Of course medical masks and gloves are all made in China so that is not going to happen. Nobody is going to agree to be on the same page. Americans are very selfish.

Until everyone is on the same page this crisis will continue unless it burns itself out.
In chaos you have to figure out what is best for you to do. PS.. I have not heard back from my landlord.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:15 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
i think all of us armchair microbiologists should read the recent story in Newsday about the COVID crisis at South Nassau Community Hospital in Oceanside.
Quite sobering.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:42 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
i think all of us armchair microbiologists should read the recent story in Newsday about the COVID crisis at South Nassau Community Hospital in Oceanside.
Quite sobering.
Thats a good one

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-27-2020, 01:01 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
I agree. I wish we had competent federal leadership that had a plan back at its inception, like every other nation in the world.
Link please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island