Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do we re-open the country now?
No, remain closed for a while longer. 52 50.98%
Yes, open everything now including non-essential businesses. 50 49.02%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 09:32 AM

3,515 posts, read 5,696,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
If you can go to super market and shop safely why can’t you do other types of events safely? People can cut my lawn but the same people can’t plant flowers. We need common sense and this is turning into a dictatorship.

If target and walmart can open with changes so can Kohls and bed bath and beyond. They all have centralized checkout and are big enough to deal with 6 feet apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 09:42 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
If target and walmart can open with changes so can Kohls and bed bath and beyond. They all have centralized checkout and are big enough to deal with 6 feet apart.
Curious about the driving force behind opening all stores which already have equals open (such as online or even Target/Walmart). Is it simply to get people back to work and earning a living? Unless you're directly affected by the stores still closed, I'm not sure why you're asking for the unnecessary health risk posed to those people and their loved ones. I also understand there are people who want it open because it will improve the market (for their own financial gain).

Old 04-28-2020, 09:54 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
If you can go to super market and shop safely why can’t you do other types of events safely? People can cut my lawn but the same people can’t plant flowers. We need common sense and this is turning into a dictatorship.
Because our area is built on mass transit and there are zero good ideas on how to get that running again. Mass transit, malls and events make a difference economically. Illegals dropping mulch in a few yards has little to no impact.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:09 AM

226 posts, read 128,951 times
Quote:
Who said you can go to the supermarket and shop "safely"? The last time I went to Stop and Shop, they had one-way signs to promote social distancing, reminders to stay 6 feet apart while waiting in line to checkout, etc.

I suppose you could ask why we can't open other types of stores with the same policies. That's fair to ask. But the "dictatorship" allowed supermarkets to remain open because food is essential. Gardening is not.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:46 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,163,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Essential businesses are already open. So by "re-opening", we're essentially talking about non-essentials and letting the public go free everywhere. Consensus says?
beaches closed?

Old 04-28-2020, 12:43 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
beaches closed?
Not sure what your point is... or is that a question?

Old 04-28-2020, 01:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Essential businesses are already open. So by "re-opening", we're essentially talking about non-essentials and letting the public go free everywhere. Consensus says?
If it pays bills & prevents your children from starving, it’s essential ...

No job is more important than another. We all gotta make a living ...

That said, OPEN. It’s ridiculous now. Safely open, but open. There are ways to do it safely & also just bc something opens, it’s not forcing anyone to go. Still have the option of staying home if you want to

Old 04-28-2020, 01:16 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renifer Erop View Post
Who said you can go to the supermarket and shop "safely"? The last time I went to Stop and Shop, they had one-way signs to promote social distancing, reminders to stay 6 feet apart while waiting in line to checkout, etc.

I suppose you could ask why we can't open other types of stores with the same policies. That's fair to ask. But the "dictatorship" allowed supermarkets to remain open because food is essential. Gardening is not.
Gardening (veggies & fruit) is food. It’s certainly essential

Old 04-28-2020, 02:09 PM

23 posts, read 18,064 times
I'm in Suffolk and in no way is my area built around mass transit. Reopen now. Sorry some are scared but people need to work. Sorry if rich people can't understand that my family needs to eat.

You all realize these field hospitals and navy ships are shutting down right? No patients. The hospitals in Suffolk never got overwhelmed. It's an overreaction to stay closed. We should reopen as safely as possible.
If NYC wants to stay closed that's not my immediate concern...although we will all be sorry when the state is broke.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:47 PM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanyIsland View Post
I'm in Suffolk and in no way is my area built around mass transit. Reopen now.
If NYC wants to stay closed that's not my immediate concern....
The two are connected. You may not ride the LIRR or come into the city but many residents of Nassau and Suffolk do (for work and entertainment) and the big concern here is what will happen when everything reopens and people start taking the trains and subways again. Remember, those same people then come back to the area you say isn't built around mass transit and go to all the same stores you do after they have been in the city all day. That's why its critical that NYC works in concert with Nassau and Suffolk.

They (powers that be) believe that the NY subway system has been a huge petri dish for the virus and unlike most American cities with public transportation, people of all incomes/races/classes ride the subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island