Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 05:25 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I have a funny take on it because I got 2 degrees remotely, and have promoted it for a while, but I'm middle age, paid off loans years ago, paid cash for it and had no desire to commute or sit in a room bored on a snowy tuesday night. I didn't need the social connection and video interaction was fine with me. Distance Ed was great and no easier, in fact harder sometimes just because they were more highly scrutinized to keep their accreditation. But for kids, I can see it being a challenge. At first.

My wife and I were just saying we think a ton of teachers on LI (hmm, maybe NYS, maybe even nationally) will retire if they are eligible before having to deal with the reforms that will be coming. Some can barely handle email now, they are so tech illiterate. Good luck them embracing remote teaching. Going to be a lot of hiring of teachers, but younger and on earlier/cheaper steps and tiers. Ones who these apps are less foreign to. As for the remote learning, like teachers now, the good ones will be good and embrace it, the sucky ones will continue to do what they do.
I've also done degrees online (heaven forbid - we have something in common) and it worked well for me. I can see it being fine for my oldest son, who has done well during the lockdown. But the last 6+ weeks has been a struggle for my younger son. He needs structure, and the districts across the country are going to have to make things a LOT better to ensure success.

There are currently too many learning tools, too many and differing ways that teachers communicate, and a lack of engagement.

Here's something that should have LI teachers thinking - if a child is going to learn online, who says it has to be a LI- or NY-based teacher on the other end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 05:41 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,595 times
Quote:
My wife and I were just saying we think a ton of teachers on LI (hmm, maybe NYS, maybe even nationally) will retire if they are eligible before having to deal with the reforms that will be coming. Some can barely handle email now, they are so tech illiterate. Good luck them embracing remote teaching. (
Per the Post, NYC teachers have virtually given up on remote learning.
http://nypost.com/2020/04/30/teacher...amid-lockdown/

My friend is a guidance counselor in NYC and she is completely clueless when it comes to tech, didn't know anything about an IPAD and then the city had to remove Zoom for security reasons. She spends her days just calling parents and kids....not a bad gig if you can get it.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:47 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
I have a funny take on it because I got 2 degrees remotely, and have promoted it for a while, but I'm middle age, paid off loans years ago, paid cash for it and had no desire to commute or sit in a room bored on a snowy tuesday night. I didn't need the social connection and video interaction was fine with me. Distance Ed was great and no easier, in fact harder sometimes just because they were more highly scrutinized to keep their accreditation. But for kids, I can see it being a challenge. At first.

My wife and I were just saying we think a ton of teachers on LI (hmm, maybe NYS, maybe even nationally) will retire if they are eligible before having to deal with the reforms that will be coming. Some can barely handle email now, they are so tech illiterate. Good luck them embracing remote teaching. Going to be a lot of hiring of teachers, but younger and on earlier/cheaper steps and tiers. Ones who these apps are less foreign to. As for the remote learning, like teachers now, the good ones will be good and embrace it, the sucky ones will continue to do what they do.
There's definitely an upside (no more snow days, that should be a thing of the past)...but there are many downsides, from engagement (you got an online degree of your own volition as an adult), to the home lives of some kids, to the ability to learn to work collaboratively, express your opinion in a group setting, hell get up and get dressed. Hands on classes like theatre, shop, art, chorus are all too important to give up. Social interaction. Sports. Clubs.
The ability to learn to lead and be led. What would they do with the planetarium at HHH? Gates isn't the savior everyone thinks he is. He just wants everyone using microsoft products. Not disputing his intellect, but that doesn't mean he knows jack about how to teach kids and differentiate, etc.

Practically speaking adolescence is the time when kids want and need, developmentally, to be away from their parents. Keeping them home all day would be the equivalent of keeping a toddler in a stroller or playpen. Sure it's easier. But not healthy. Even the homeschool people I know send their kids off to early college classes, charter schools etc for HS.

Now my OTHER son....he's pissed every day this didn't happen last year when he was a senior....done on March 13? Sign me up. No graduation ceremony in itchy scratchy hot clothes? Sign me up. He is doing online community college and that's the best fit for HIM.

Last edited by twingles; 05-06-2020 at 05:58 PM..

Old 05-09-2020, 09:56 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
I am going to write something and I fully admit that perhaps things have changed and this is no longer the case as it was for years. If that is the case, please accept my apology for my ignorance. Maybe the school nurse will finally earn her salary. It always puzzled me why the school nurse was not the Health Education teacher. The ones I had contact with really could take a temperature, clean up a cut and bandaid it, and call an ambulance in the event of a broken bone. Sure there was documentation but not like the teachers are doing.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:42 AM

731 posts, read 724,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am going to write something and I fully admit that perhaps things have changed and this is no longer the case as it was for years. If that is the case, please accept my apology for my ignorance. Maybe the school nurse will finally earn her salary. It always puzzled me why the school nurse was not the Health Education teacher. The ones I had contact with really could take a temperature, clean up a cut and bandaid it, and call an ambulance in the event of a broken bone. Sure there was documentation but not like the teachers are doing.
Oh yeah! Let’s bash school nurses now. Maybe tomorrow it can be the overpaid lunch lady.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:29 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
How would schools know? As it is now, parents should know to keep their child home if sick but how many send kids in?
And that's how we got in this mess. Our whole society and way of thinking about "sick time" must change. We know when our kids are sick. We send them in anyway because we don't want to take off work and lose productivity . It's frowned on when a teacher calls out sick in September or October. When people call out they are labeled "unreliable" and competing coworkers get a leg up. It's the real world. That must change. Sick time should NOT be stigmatized and should not be BANKED for a big payout when you retire. My mother banked 37 years of sick time . Yes she went to work sick. That's what "real Americans" did back in those days.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:37 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
School nurses are in charge of knowing who has allergies, what is needed for said allergies, manning the epi-pens, emergency action plans for any student who needs one, dealing with kids with diabetes...plus all the kids who have a crush on her and come down to the office every day with a made up ailment, parents who want them monitor every surface little Suzie touches, in some schools they are in charge of attendance duties....this is the tip of the iceberg...of all the school personnel I would bash, the nurse would be the very last one.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
Oh yeah! Let’s bash school nurses now. Maybe tomorrow it can be the overpaid lunch lady.
Ha ha ha. That had me laughing out loud. The school nurse job is about to become a WHOLE lot more difficult. As for now the schools are open (one per district) for childcare at no cost for essential workers. Children cannot enter the school with a fever or visible illness. No exceptions. Temp taken outside at the door. Gone are the days of sending Johnny to school sick with a bug that infects half the class and the teacher. Then the kids pass it to siblings who bring it to the pre k and high school. Uhhhghhh. I have seen 60 percent of the class home with stomach bugs because mom thought it was ok to send lil Johnny in after he was sick all early morning.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
School nurses are in charge of knowing who has allergies, what is needed for said allergies, manning the epi-pens, emergency action plans for any student who needs one, dealing with kids with diabetes...plus all the kids who have a crush on her and come down to the office every day with a made up ailment, parents who want them monitor every surface little Suzie touches, in some schools they are in charge of attendance duties....this is the tip of the iceberg...of all the school personnel I would bash, the nurse would be the very last one.
Kudos to you for standing up for our school personnel on the front lines.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:55 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
And that's how we got in this mess. Our whole society and way of thinking about "sick time" must change. We know when our kids are sick. We send them in anyway because we don't want to take off work and lose productivity . It's frowned on when a teacher calls out sick in September or October. When people call out they are labeled "unreliable" and competing coworkers get a leg up. It's the real world. That must change. Sick time should NOT be stigmatized and should not be BANKED for a big payout when you retire. My mother banked 37 years of sick time . Yes she went to work sick. That's what "real Americans" did back in those days.
Absolutely, and add cancellation policy for cruises and planes so maybe sick people stay home instead of infecting everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island