Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,672 times

Advertisements

I agree Long Island does suck. I have lived here all my life and it is way too expensive especially for young couples trying to start their lives here. It is very hard to achieve the american dream here. I know quite a few people who have moved to other states such as North Carolina, Florida, and Ohio to state a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 10:01 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
My fiance and I are 25 and 28 and we just bought a house in Nassau county. If you save and are smart with your money, you can do it.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:03 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
But speaking of bagels, I really miss when we used to get Bagel Boss back when I used to live in Islip.
That location is still there, a few doors away from the Stop & Shop on Montauk Highway.

Stuff-a-Bagel in West Islip is very good too. I think they also have another location in Nassau, not far from Bethpage State Park.

Bagel Boss's bagels are larger, though, for the same base price ($1 at Stuff-a-Bagel, 95 cents at Bagel Boss). They also sell a "flagel" (FLAt baGEL) which is something you don't see elsewhere.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:26 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,850,556 times
"why is Suffolk co. so crappy?"

I'll answer this right now...
Because all the morons from west of the Suffolk border moved into Suffolk.
That's why Suffolk is so crappy. Same could be said about Nassau 20 years ago.
Nassau is now Queens. Suffolk is almost Nassau.
Me? I'm a hillbilly, redneck, whatever you want to call it. Born and raised in Nassau, so go figure, but whatever. I don't like urban. I like rural. Always, since I'm a kid.
So aside from all the other main reasons people complain about the Island, I'm pissed off that my town isn't what it used to be because all the city and Queens knuckleheads moved here to get away from whatever it is they wanted to get away from, yet they are turning everything into exactly what it is they originally wanted to get away from. Change sucks. It's inevitable, but I don't like it. And unfortunately, for many reasons I'm stuck where I am for the near future. Really sucks. I guess it just narrows down to personal oppinion though, I dislike Nassau, but many love it here.
Oh well...

BTW...Suffolk is not crappy. Yet. Some crappy neighborhoods here and there, but Suffolk is still OK in my book. Maybe not for long, but that's up to the people of Suffolk. I think you guys have a pretty decent County exec, he seems to give a damn, unlike this idiot we have here in Nassau.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:40 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,803 times
why is this crappy ass thread still open? or am i missing something?

Old 07-03-2009, 02:41 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
people keep dragging it up from pages back, let it die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman529 View Post
Long Island may have high taxes but compared to what you get in other areas of the nation it seems worth it to me now. My wife and I live in NC now and I really miss L.I.
We have so much here...that is why we pay alot for it...but yeah, even though I have never lived anywhere else other than upstate for schooling, I would never leave Long Island. Go to other parts of the country...from what I'm told, most of the country is rural. Long Island has both rural and Surburban areas, beaches, great malls, close to NYC, fishing/boating, wineries...it's just an amazing place.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:38 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My fiance and I are 25 and 28 and we just bought a house in Nassau county. If you save and are smart with your money, you can do it.
yes but it isn't really hard on 2 incomes. The hard part is to do it on ONE income. I have a condo now on one income...I do just fine, but it isn't always easy. If I don't get married, I don't think I will ever be able to afford a house though.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:40 AM

240 posts, read 237,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
yes but it isn't really hard on 2 incomes. The hard part is to do it on ONE income. I have a condo now on one income...I do just fine, but it isn't always easy. If I don't get married, I don't think I will ever be able to afford a house though.
Even on 2 incomes it is somewhat difficult. Ask Rachael where she is moving to... Levittown. Not all of Long Island is as cheap as Levittown.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:07 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
We have so much here...that is why we pay alot for it...but yeah, even though I have never lived anywhere else other than upstate for schooling, I would never leave Long Island. Go to other parts of the country...from what I'm told, most of the country is rural. Long Island has both rural and Surburban areas, beaches, great malls, close to NYC, fishing/boating, wineries...it's just an amazing place.
You sell Upstate NY short. Many nice areas.

Keep in mind, most people go to work and then go home. They take care of busniess after work within a probably a 20 mile radius of where they live. If the area provides in a satisfactory manner what they need within that radius, what difference is it where you live as long as you are happy in that area? At some point though, you may ask, "Am I paying too much for this"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island