Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2020, 08:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Exactly! So how high are those numbers really? With a counting system like that, of course there is an uptick! Being played!

I wonder if they have tried giving the covid test to people confirmed to have common flu? We can expect 10 million to 45 million cases of common flu every year according to CDC.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:08 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I wonder if they have tried giving the covid test to people confirmed to have common flu? We can expect 10 million to 45 million cases of common flu every year according to CDC.
Flu and Covid are remarkably similar in terms of symptoms and modes of transmission. (Of course there are differences.)

While Seasonal flu does not ordinarily kill young people (although it can), the real danger is that younger people can spread it to more vulnerable folks.

I’d expect a heightened awareness (given the reaction to Covid-19) to the flu as well as permanent social distancing and mask wearing in the schools (no more joking about elementary schools as Petri dishes) during the deadly seasonal flu season.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 07-20-2020 at 05:32 AM..

Old 07-20-2020, 06:31 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
A wise person once said "if you are always finding fault with another, perhaps the fault is with you and not them".
I prefer Twain -

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/m...535?src=t_fool

Old 11-13-2020, 07:21 PM

874 posts, read 728,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Flu and Covid are remarkably similar in terms of symptoms and modes of transmission. (Of course there are differences.)

While Seasonal flu does not ordinarily kill young people (although it can), the real danger is that younger people can spread it to more vulnerable folks.

I’d expect a heightened awareness (given the reaction to Covid-19) to the flu as well as permanent social distancing and mask wearing in the schools (no more joking about elementary schools as Petri dishes) during the deadly seasonal flu season.

and now that flu season started back up, now the restrictions and lock downs start again.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:29 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
and now that flu season started back up, now the restrictions and lock downs start again.
Yes. The politicians know no other game. This public health theater has real costs. As I posted elsewhere:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My view that most of these Covid "pre-cautions" are theatrical is only enhanced by the latest spectacle of watching hotspots be "color-coded" by Governor Cuomo. Large chunks of Rockland have gone from clean to orange to red to yellow to clean in the last month. My neighboring village, Port Chester, went from clean to yellow and now to orange while my municipality was trimmed from the "yellow" zone when local officials suitably educated Governor Cuomo.

Meanwhile, with all this coloring-book magic has put numerous strung-out businesses in even worse shape. I fear that South and North Main Street, in Port Chester, only revived in the last five year from blighted conditions, could become a sea of vacancies. All to allow Governor Cuomo to show how caring he is.
Or as I OP'd, Are we turning into animals, courtesy of Covid-19? we are being diminished in our status as humans:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Many of these changes created by the Covid-19 pandemic are erasing our identity as human beings. We cannot send our children to school. We cannot send our preschool children to socializing nursery school. We cannot enjoy the benefits of the arts, including music and museums. The question is, what distinguishes us from primates from which we emerged?

This is not far-fetched. When our state governors have thoughtlessly closed down businesses with no plan of reopening, they erase much of what distinguishes a human being from the animals.... Much of what has made human society distinct from the animal kingdom comes from the socializing and collective experience of enjoying music and visual art.
Unless the lockdowns are the new "visual art."

Old 11-14-2020, 05:26 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
It’s not going to stop until King Cuomo gets his govt bailout $. I find it very fishy that we go for months of holding steady until Biden wins the election then all of a sudden we’re almost at lock down rates again. What has changed? We’re still wearing masks and practicing social distancing the same as we have since March.

Old 11-14-2020, 05:30 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
And remember folks no more than 10 people in your home during Thanksgiving. 10 is ok , but the 11th one is when Covid strikes.

Old 11-14-2020, 06:44 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
we had our annual physicals last week and covid tests were part of the routine blood work

Old 11-14-2020, 06:47 AM

690 posts, read 584,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we had our annual physicals last week and covid tests were part of the routine blood work
Someone is making a lot of $$ of all these Covid tests. Notice how they constantly push, get tested! Even if you have no symptoms!

Old 11-14-2020, 07:01 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
Someone is making a lot of $$ of all these Covid tests. Notice how they constantly push, get tested! Even if you have no symptoms!
and rightfully so ... i am retired and got asked to fill in at my old company last week and next ..one guy had covid , no symptoms and infected others who do , one very badly ....half the company is quarantined
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island