Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2020, 06:57 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi there 1631 View Post
This is the first time in history a RNA vaccine is being used in humans, Up until November 2020, no mRNA vaccine, drug, or technology platform, had ever been approved for use in humans, and before 2020, mRNA was only considered a theoretical possibility for effective use in humans. Yes, this vaccine changes your cellular DNA . First time ever tried/used in humans.

Maybe it will give us superpowers.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:14 PM

855 posts, read 451,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Do you think it will turn you into a mutant? That’s not how it works.
Another brainwashed pupil who hasn't done his research I see. An mRNA vaccine does in fact change the DNA and your cells response at the molecular level.

Even better, an mRNA vaccine has never been used on society before. And there is zero track record of an mRNA's side effects, short term or long term.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:44 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Your using deaths from the beginning of virus. How many times do I need to tell you, look at death percentage the last 2 mos. It's at flu levels. Stop being ridiculous.
Yes, better treatment is lowering the death rate. That does not mean anyone should want to run out and catch this virus. Not all survivors are getting back to their previous state of health, and there is evidence that a significant number may have permanent disabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
All of them.
No, all of them are not over 70 and not all have pre-existing conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
I like how so many assume such a rushed vaccine will automatically work with few side effects.
It is the paperwork for approval being "rushed". The safety and efficacy studies are still being done, as they always have been.

Quote:
Have the at risk population have the choice of taking the vaccine. For everyone else since almost no one else is at risk from COVID, push on with as usual as viruses burn out.

But this idea of injecting almost everyone with a rushed vaccine, an mRNA vaccine at that where there is literally zero data on the long term side effects of an mRNA vaccine, is foolish. Given most with COVID are asymptomatic and 90% will have nothing more than a cold. Do folks realize this vaccine is entirely different than any other you or your children have taken. It alters your body at the cellular level. It alters your DNA.
There is no way to tell for an individual who will get severe COVID-19 and who will not.

No, mRna does not alter DNA.

https://apnews.com/article/9340521654

"Dr. Dan Culver, a pulmonologist at Cleveland Clinic, agreed it’s not possible for an mRNA vaccine to alter your DNA

'This cannot change your genetic makeup,' he said. 'The time that this RNA survives in the cells is relatively brief in the span of hours. What you are really doing is sticking a recipe card into the cell making protein for a few hours.'”

Old 11-19-2020, 03:48 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Another brainwashed pupil who hasn't done his research I see. An mRNA vaccine does in fact change the DNA and your cells response at the molecular level.

Even better, an mRNA vaccine has never been used on society before. And there is zero track record of an mRNA's side effects, short term or long term.
I will refrain from personal attacks unlike your response. So don’t take the vaccine and good luck.

Old 11-19-2020, 05:54 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, better treatment is lowering the death rate. That does not mean anyone should want to run out and catch this virus. Not all survivors are getting back to their previous state of health, and there is evidence that a significant number may have permanent disabilities.

No, all of them are not over 70 and not all have pre-existing conditions.

It is the paperwork for approval being "rushed". The safety and efficacy studies are still being done, as they always have been.

There is no way to tell for an individual who will get severe COVID-19 and who will not.

No, mRna does not alter DNA.

https://apnews.com/article/9340521654

"Dr. Dan Culver, a pulmonologist at Cleveland Clinic, agreed it’s not possible for an mRNA vaccine to alter your DNA

'This cannot change your genetic makeup,' he said. 'The time that this RNA survives in the cells is relatively brief in the span of hours. What you are really doing is sticking a recipe card into the cell making protein for a few hours.'”
Finally, someone with good points. As far as running out to catch the virus, i never said this. All i was saying was people need to stop being so afraid. Sure we need to still be careful, but people hiding indoors, and saying EVERYONE should be is ridiculous. I agree with all your other points. Unfortunately some people only get their "facts" from Facebook, and you know who these people are.

Old 11-19-2020, 05:55 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I will refrain from personal attacks unlike your response. So don’t take the vaccine and good luck.
I tried telling you. You cant argue with idiots

Old 11-19-2020, 06:36 AM

5,055 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Obviously, young and healthy folks are not dying of Covid (of course there are exceptions and one-offs, that goes without saying). [One factoid: 3600 University of Alabama students have tested positive for Covid this school year, zero (0) were sick enough to require hospitalization.]

Even the NYT (!) thinks it is ridiculous, harmful, and flatly unscientific to close public schools. And today their leading opinion writer (Nicholas Krisotof) said so:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/o...h=login-google

Just as obviously, elderly (75+) and frail folks (serious underlying conditions) die of Covid infection at a higher rate. (Of course higher and high are two different things but that is another point for another day)

Old 11-19-2020, 07:44 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
A continuation of policy void/leadership void. No national directives. No cohesive strategies. Not enough consistent testing or contact tracing. Wild west all for none, none for all attitudes. Sowing fear, chaos, confusion, paranoia, mistrust as a national strategy. Arm chair epidemiologists arguing mRNA and vaccines all over social media despite zero point zero experience in the subject. As for DiBlasio, that guy must stay up nights figure out ways to be loathed. Closing the schools while movies and malls are open?!? Bad idea. But we know it's the teacher's union of course. DiBlasio just has to eat the blame cause that's what actual leaders (even super lousy ones) have to do.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:09 AM

158 posts, read 189,385 times
it's amazing to me that so many people on both sides of the discussion can be SO SURE they are right.

news flash: it's impossible to know who is right at this point. "unprecedented" is a word in the English language for a reason.

just to be clear, I'm on the side of "follow the science". but not because I think scientists are 100% correct (they can't be). but because they have the best available information at this time, and because when dealing with life and death matters, better safe than sorry is, in my opinion, the way to go.

when you make decisions in life, you make them based on the best available information at that time. sometimes, it turns out to be right. sometimes, despite best efforts and intentions, it turns out to be wrong, mostly due to unintended/unforeseeable consequences/circumstances.

no one can predict the future. it's possible to GUESS and end up being right. but I wouldn't go around telling others they are certain they are right and the other is wrong.

gather as much information as you can from ALL (legit) sources and make your decision about whether you think it's right for you to get this vaccine or not. I'm definitely going to get it the second it's available, but others have just as much a right to be skeptical, because right now, neither of us knows for sure. again, nobody, not even the smartest immunologist with the most experience in vaccine development in the world does. I'm personally going to listen to that person and I'm confident they will end up being correct, but that person is a human with faults and lacks a crystal ball, just like everyone else.

we all need to start being a lot more respectful to those whose opinions differ from ours. that goes for both sides of this issue, politics in general, and everything else. everyone is just out here winging it and doing the best they can. instead of fighting with each other we should be supporting each other.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:14 AM

5,055 posts, read 3,956,447 times
The latest Governor bad behavior (not Cuomo this time) is California Governor Newsom. Acting as if he thinks Covid is not a threat to himself given his age and relative good health:

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/arti...D-15736490.php

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/18/polit...nor/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island