Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 03:20 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I don't care how the Swedes feel about it - facts are facts and you haven't produced any. Both of the articles you linked contain preliminary estimates and predictions only. Your claim that Sweden has fared better was false when you made it and continues to be so.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuac.../#42619dc22dcd
Why should mainstream Swedish society have to take actions based on a death rate coming purely from certain insular communities where Stockholm's writ doesn't run?

Old 05-28-2020, 05:00 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Why should mainstream Swedish society have to take actions based on a death rate coming purely from certain insular communities where Stockholm's writ doesn't run?
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/21...wn-immigrants/

“The most segregated segments of the population are not as tuned in to the mainstream culture or to authorities’ messaging around the pandemic.”

That’s a nice way of saying that either they didn’t hear or didn’t listen.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:56 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
CNBC just reported what was in the study published in Thorax. The link to it is in the article. CNBC did not do the study and it is not their numbers.
If you would like a different article that mentions the study here you go:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/new...-than-thought/

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/u...-than-thought/

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-27/...-than-thought/
Linking to other articles who got it from the same source is pretty useless, especially from newspapers who are mostly click bait, linking to the actual study is a lot better.

I am not a scientist but have worked closely on developing software with them over the years, and worked on the development of large peer review system. Something you learn from scientists and medical people are when they are hedging their bets. In the article snippet below count how many times Prof Smyth uses words like: suggested, may and could, and the phrase “ It is difficult to find a reliable estimate of the number” is a big red flag that there is guess work going on.
Also when you hear a scientist or doctor use the words “I believe” read that as I don’t know.
Currently many if not most of the studies being put out and reported on aren’t being peer reviewed, which is a process that involves double blind review of the study including how it was performed and under what conditions. So just because somebody cites a study doesn’t mean it’s settled science.
FWIW Thorax is single blind peer review rather than double.

Prof Smyth said the study could have wider implications.

He said: “It is difficult to find a reliable estimate of the number of Covid positive patients who have no symptoms.

“In early March, WHO suggested the figure might be only 1%, very different from the 81% figure found on the cruise ship.

“As countries progress out of lockdown, a high proportion of infected but asymptomatic individuals may mean that a much higher percentage of the population than expected may have been infected with Covid.

“These individuals may have immunity to Covid. This demonstrates the urgent need for accurate seroprevalence studies to estimate the overall population infection rate across the globe.”

It remains unclear what level of immunity people develop once they have had Covid-19.

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 05-28-2020 at 06:08 AM..

Old 05-28-2020, 06:08 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
This demonstrates the urgent need for accurate seroprevalence studies to estimate the overall population infection rate across the globe.”
What a fancy pants way to say "antibody tests" which currently STILL don't exist in even nominal quantities. #Exceptionalism?

Old 05-28-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
What a fancy pants way to say "antibody tests" which currently STILL don't exist in even nominal quantities. #Exceptionalism?
I had one the last Sunday in April and mine was negative. I find that hard to believe.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/21...wn-immigrants/

“The most segregated segments of the population are not as tuned in to the mainstream culture or to authorities’ messaging around the pandemic.”

That’s a nice way of saying that either they didn’t hear or didn’t listen.
The subtext is that no one really cares what happens to people who don't contribute to society. And they don't spread much to the rest of society either.

Locking down mainstream Sweden would do little to curb outbreaks in the casbah of Malmo.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:33 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
its over, corona virus mutated so much its lost its punch, now covid-19 is just a mild case of bronchitis.

I also would like to go to a bar and be social. or go to a sports game, or not have to stand 6 feet away from everyone at the supermarket and walk in without a mask. or get a haircut.

they always said there was no cure for the common cold, which is a corona virus, so what makes you think it will work with this corona virus? you could roll up your sleeve and take the vaccine, and be a beta tester with your life. a strong immune system, is still the best defense
Agree 100%. The virus has mutated, and IS much less fatal. Its adapting to stay alive. Only way to do that is NOT kill its hosts.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:52 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I don't care how the Swedes feel about it - facts are facts and you haven't produced any. Both of the articles you linked contain preliminary estimates and predictions only. Your claim that Sweden has fared better was false when you made it and continues to be so.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuac.../#42619dc22dcd

You're just dishonest. You have the gall to say I've presented no facts underneath a quote where I provided facts with references. No, they were not "estimates and predictions", they were measured numbers. It's everything you've presented that is estimates and predictions. Why are you providing a reference that would appear to be a rebuttal of my economic facts yet it talks about herd immunity and contains no economic facts at all. Dishonest.

The only thing that matters is how Swedes feel about it.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:15 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Linking to other articles who got it from the same source is pretty useless, especially from newspapers who are mostly click bait, linking to the actual study is a lot better.

I am not a scientist but have worked closely on developing software with them over the years, and worked on the development of large peer review system. Something you learn from scientists and medical people are when they are hedging their bets. In the article snippet below count how many times Prof Smyth uses words like: suggested, may and could, and the phrase “ It is difficult to find a reliable estimate of the number” is a big red flag that there is guess work going on.
Also when you hear a scientist or doctor use the words “I believe” read that as I don’t know.
Currently many if not most of the studies being put out and reported on aren’t being peer reviewed, which is a process that involves double blind review of the study including how it was performed and under what conditions. So just because somebody cites a study doesn’t mean it’s settled science.
FWIW Thorax is single blind peer review rather than double.

Prof Smyth said the study could have wider implications.

He said: “It is difficult to find a reliable estimate of the number of Covid positive patients who have no symptoms.

“In early March, WHO suggested the figure might be only 1%, very different from the 81% figure found on the cruise ship.

“As countries progress out of lockdown, a high proportion of infected but asymptomatic individuals may mean that a much higher percentage of the population than expected may have been infected with Covid.

“These individuals may have immunity to Covid. This demonstrates the urgent need for accurate seroprevalence studies to estimate the overall population infection rate across the globe.”

It remains unclear what level of immunity people develop once they have had Covid-19.
I agree there is much still unknown about this virus, including duration of immunity as the virus is only a few months old. Covid 19's ability to be transmitted presymptomatically or assymptomatically is problematic and is the reason why social distancing and masking need to be done, particularly around NYC due to its large number of infected, population density etc. I can understand the absolute frustration of people living in areas that have been marginally affected by Covid being fed up with having to have gone through a lockdown for a small death count and the boredom of those living within our epicenter.

This virus needs to be respected. Not feared in a paranoid fashion, but not considered to be a nothing burger either. Proper infection control measures need to be continued prudently as we open up to prevent a resurgence in cases. 100K dead in under 3 months is nothing to be dismissed out of hand.

Dismissing this virus as just a nursing home virus is mistaken. Staff from nursing homes go home and infect their community. On LI many of the nursing home workers are minorities and live in the areas that have become our hot spots Central Islip, North Amityville, Hempstead etc.

Hopefully going forward we can micromanage outbreaks instead of nationwide shutdown and save the economy. Scientists have learned more about the virus and hopefully can be more effective in containing it and eventually curing it. Until then all we have is infection control protocols to prevent it from becoming uncontrolled again. Now is not the time to be cavalier and put us back into lockdown.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:01 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I had one the last Sunday in April and mine was negative. I find that hard to believe.

Do you mean the antibody tests? If so, did you ever have it officially or are you going by just being out and about in which case the statistics on that would be very good chance you did get it.

I suspect I got it at some point a few months ago, but I could never get tested as I didn't have enough symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island