Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2020, 06:02 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,683,201 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.

My parents own a second home in Sound Beach (town of Brookhaven) and have a current renter. He is paying $1,300 a month for a two bedroom house a block from the water on Riverhead Road. They are currently refinancing and are looking at a mortgage of around $1,500 a month.

I told them they need to raise the rent on the tenant as he's been there over 10 years and hasn't had a single increase but that's neither here nor there.

They want to know if they can make the basement into an accessory apartment? I was reading the town ordinances and it looks like it can only be done if it's a primary residence? Could it perhaps be converted into a 2 family as opposed to an accessory apartment?

I also saw that they must have an off-street parking space for an accessory apartment, but the front yard is VERY small and will most likely not be able to accommodate one.

Has anyone converted their basement into an accessory apartment here? Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences. Many thanks and stay safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 06:17 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
I can only answer from my knowledge of another town, which may or may not apply in your town, but it may help you look into what you are attempting to do. The simply answer lies in the zoning for your home. IF it is zoned for a SFH it may be difficult, if not impossible in your town to convert it to a two family. Additionally, in many places an accessory apartment must have the owner as the main occupant, which is not your current situation.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:23 AM

Thank you! It would be the town of Brookhaven which from what we gather is fairly strict.

Is the process of converting to 2 family different from an accessory apartment? I have been searching all over google and can't find anything about single family --> 2 family but can find about accessory apartments.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:14 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Thank you! It would be the town of Brookhaven which from what we gather is fairly strict.

Is the process of converting to 2 family different from an accessory apartment? I have been searching all over google and can't find anything about single family --> 2 family but can find about accessory apartments.
It may not be zoned for anything other than a SFH. Call the town and ask, if the homes in such and such a section, not necessarily your own block are zoned for only SFH or are there MFH and if so, how do you go about converting. I can tell you it will not be cheap. There are fire codes and multiple water and electrical meters, egress window or door from basement, that all need to be in place. I seriously doubt it is doable legally, but only the town will hold the ultimate answer.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:18 AM

I know two people on our block have basement apartments they rent out. Not sure if legally, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island