Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 04:53 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Tests have shown an unimpeded cough can extend out 12ft, so it's not about specific numbers. It's about mitigating as much as possible. First step would be a fricken mask. Another factor would be outdoor > indoor.

I question how many of you have been going out at all. I feel a lot safer (happens to also be technically true) with everyone wearing a mask, and I'm relatively healthy. I still have not seen a single person say they'd put their kid back in school right now...
I’m out all the time, I got COVID early on in March and took every precaution I could at the time. Constant hand washing, distancing etc. still got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 05:22 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Curve has flatten. People are starting to revolt. Open things up. If they want to act stupid, then let them.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:55 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I’m out all the time. Liquor store, visiting my dad, hardware store, gardening center, supermarket, picking up dinner, walking in the park, shopping for a new car and a lot of other things including a weekly get together with neighbors.
And I’m safe.
If I am not mistaken you don't even live here. It makes sense you will have less exposure to covid than someone who lived near the epicenter of the pandemic.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:17 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
If I am not mistaken you don't even live here. It makes sense you will have less exposure to covid than someone who lived near the epicenter of the pandemic.
My next door neighbor had it as did my son who we took care of here at the house. Confirmed cases. My dad lives next to a hot spot where they were pulling out bodies each day. But hey, it was a good theory.

Now remember, I also know that I can get it so I'm not in denial, I just have the view that most of what we're being told what to do is busy work. I also know that NYC has things like the subway which can spread disease to more people than my driving to where I want to go. But if you're living on Long Island and aren't in a high risk group you should be pretty safe.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:46 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Quote:
My next door neighbor had it as did my son who we took care of here at the house. Confirmed cases. My dad lives next to a hot spot where they were pulling out bodies each day. But hey, it was a good theory.

Now remember, I also know that I can get it so I'm not in denial, I just have the view that most of what we're being told what to do is busy work. I also know that NYC has things like the subway which can spread disease to more people than my driving to where I want to go. But if you're living on Long Island and aren't in a high risk group you should be pretty safe.
Long Island has had over 4500 deaths from covid

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/26/n...e-updates.html

That would rank it as the 7th worst state in terms of covid deaths

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/

In terms of your personal experiences with covid, how big is your house? Was son able to quarantine in his own bedroom and bathroom? Makes a huge difference in transmission rates of the virus.

Does your dad live within 6 feet of the bodies? We're they stored there for days on end like up here or they simply moved to the morgue?

Distance and duration are a huge part of transmitting this virus. Have a family scrunched into a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment and it will spread like crazy. Look at Hempstead, Central Islip and their huge numbers.

Last edited by NSHL10; 05-26-2020 at 08:03 PM..

Old 05-27-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Long Island has had over 4500 deaths from covid

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/26/n...e-updates.html

That would rank it as the 7th worst state in terms of covid deaths

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/

In terms of your personal experiences with covid, how big is your house? Was son able to quarantine in his own bedroom and bathroom? Makes a huge difference in transmission rates of the virus.

Does your dad live within 6 feet of the bodies? We're they stored there for days on end like up here or they simply moved to the morgue?

Distance and duration are a huge part of transmitting this virus. Have a family scrunched into a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment and it will spread like crazy. Look at Hempstead, Central Islip and their huge numbers.
You left out the majority of deaths were minorities with hypertension, diabetes, and hyperlipidemia, and who were seniors. I’d like to see minorities get help with those three health issues. But we are seeing hot spots rather than large outbreaks.
The nursing home that my mother and my aunt spent their last weeks of life became our local hotspot with about 40 dead before they stopped reporting.

And neither my neighbor or son were quarantined to their own bedroom and bathrooms. My neighbors wife said she was still sleeping in the same bed with her husband as she wanted to take care of him.

Are you a healthcare worker who is around bodies all day?

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 05-27-2020 at 05:58 AM..

Old 05-27-2020, 05:34 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Amazing how much paranoia there is in here. I work in Manhattan, never stopped going in. Take the LIRR. Im still alive.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:56 AM

290 posts, read 583,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
the fact that police would even bother showing up, getting out of their cars, and approaching the bar owners, and coming back the next day, and treating business owners like criminals is disgusting. the fact that people even called 911 over a business opening is even more disgusting. meanwhile millions in america cant get unemployment because of old outdated systems, and NOTHING is being done to fix it, yet if you open up your business your a criminal

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/...gue-1.44888859

"From what I understand, the photos show people were in this space and they weren’t wearing masks. That’s stupid. Stupid for you, it’s stupid for your surrounding patrons, it’s stupid for the bar,".

Suffolk County police responded to multiple 911 calls Friday night of noncompliance with the state "pause" order at the Dublin Deck Tiki Bar and Grill on River Avenue.

A video posted on Reddit Saturday depicts a crowd standing shoulder to shoulder and music playing. Staffers do not appear to separate the dozens of guests, and the video's unnamed narrator shouts "everybody's so thirsty, let's go."

"We apologize to anyone who may have been offended by the videos that surfaced," the bar's Facebook post reads. "We assure you it was not intended and will not happen again."

The Facebook post said the bar allowed patrons inside during a "quick rainfall" and expressed regret at doing so. Co-owner Frank Mills claimed the crowd was mostly boaters parked at the nearby marina who were ordering meals to go. The governor added: “It’s supposed to be curbside pickup, right? That doesn’t sound like curbside pickup.” Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone also criticized the gathering, which he called "unacceptable" and "not smart."

Suffolk Police Commissioner Geraldine Hart said that by the time officers responded to the bar, about 85% of the patrons had cleared out. Police stayed until everyone left and then went back twice that night to ensure the bar was in compliance, she said. Police also visited the bar on Saturday to talk with the owner and again ensure compliance, Hart said
ok....what SHOULD have been done? It completely in your hands to make a decision. MAKE ONE NOW.

Last edited by donkey95; 05-27-2020 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-27-2020, 05:58 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times
Quote:
What happens if the patrons are 5'11 and a half inches apart, do people start dying?
I don’t know. If people have 105 degree temperature, do they die? It’s only 6.2 degrees more than normal.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I don’t know. If people have 105 degree temperature, do they die? It’s only 6.2 degrees more than normal.
Great comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island