Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 08:06 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Just plan on paying your taxes and anticipate an increase for next year, after all the costs for cleaning supplies, ppd and technology support...
My district did 1.99% and is using 11m of the 50m ish from capital reserves to fund the deficit from the state aid they suspect will be cut. A 10k school tax bill sees $200 hike. Technology support is a non issue, these districts already have IT staff and Zoom is cheap. if you want 200 "zoom" classrooms its about 16k a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 08:18 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Technology support is a non issue, these districts already have IT staff and Zoom is cheap. if you want 200 "zoom" classrooms its about 16k a year.
You're using logic though.

The reality is more likely that they'll need extra "supplementary" IT staff and "video learning curriculum" team members, money to buy teachers laptops and other equipment "suitable for educational purposes" plus more management and supervisory layers.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:33 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You're using logic though.

The reality is more likely that they'll need extra "supplementary" IT staff and "video learning curriculum" team members, money to buy teachers laptops and other equipment "suitable for educational purposes" plus more management and supervisory layers.
My friends house in my district was 18k in 2007 today 22k. He put in an in ground pool and a massive outdoor patio w/ cabana and outdoor kitchen legally with permits. This is a 4k sq ft home on 1.2 acre. My neighbors house was 4k in 2007 is 6.3k today. They have done a good job keeping the taxes in check. I'm not delusional, I never expect a decrease. Even though we have a declining enrollment and the district is a year or 2 away from being debt free.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:51 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
My district did 1.99% and is using 11m of the 50m ish from capital reserves to fund the deficit from the state aid they suspect will be cut. A 10k school tax bill sees $200 hike. Technology support is a non issue, these districts already have IT staff and Zoom is cheap. if you want 200 "zoom" classrooms its about 16k a year.
1.99% increase it great. My school district is way ahead of the curve.

They publicly state the budget increase is 2.46% with a 2.49% increase in the tax levy.
My actual school tax bill went up by 8%
And magically, they get listed as being under the 2% cap.

Must be common core math.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:10 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
1.99% increase it great. My school district is way ahead of the curve.

They publicly state the budget increase is 2.46% with a 2.49% increase in the tax levy.
My actual school tax bill went up by 8%
And magically, they get listed as being under the 2% cap.

Must be common core math.
Or you didn't grieve your assessment. You voted on 2.49%, but if your neighbor got a 10% reduction in their tax, all of you neighbors picked up the difference. The total tax levy does not change. If I get a reduction, YOU get an increase. That's the way it's been for years. Even w/ reassessment, that doesn't change. Under Mangano, everyone who bothered to ask got the break, so the schools went broke and raised taxes through the roof, 7%, 9%, etc. Cuomo (the momentary conservative) managed to get the 2% cap passed, probably saving LI's economy at the time. Things don't happen in a vacuum. There is a history and process to all of our dysfunction. And simple solutions that are lost to bi-partisan stupidity and brainwashed sheeple. "but howww willl weee paaayyyy forrrr itttttt." We're paying now, aint we?!

Old 05-29-2020, 01:54 PM

99 posts, read 54,680 times
"what happens to all of that unspent money?"

Value goes down, money spent either stays the same or increases.

Then there is the huge tax revenue loss to municipal governments across the board; property transfer taxes, red light cameras, sales tax.. yada yada yada.

Municipalities tax based on what they "need" irregardless of whether or not you derive value for money or can pay.

This is not just a long island problem.

A private business could-would restructure. When is the last time a taxing authority restructured? Perhaps NYC when Ford told them to take a hike.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:19 PM

94 posts, read 38,249 times
So yesterday I participated in a viewing stream of my local school district's board. They spoke about various topics, but the highlight discussion was about school budget increase 2.32% and tax levy of 3.30% (they actually got it down from 3.40%) for the schools and an increase for the town library. They gave their justification and presentations on the propositions, and addressed a few questions regarding what the OP is seeking clarification on. The principal of the school stated that the schools were not closed. They were operating regularly. She stated that COVID had a major impact on expenses. A few things she mentioned stood out to me.

1- They had to purchase environmentally friendly cleaning supplies to clean the school. She said "they couldn't go to home depot to purchase regular bleach", but had to spend 3X the amount they normally do on specific supplies. (she said it was required by law implemented by Cuomo)

2- In order to approve the hikes, she mentioned that "per NY law implemented by Gov Cuomo", the voting can ONLY be done by mail. She said that they had to spend 3X the amount they normally do for the ballots in addition to return postage.

3- The schools had to purchase laptops to provide to kids that didn't have a computer.

4- The schools had to provide food for any child that needed it.

I think there may have been additional smaller topics she mentioned, but these were the big ones. The fact that she just named dropped Cuomo for these justifications was funny. Hope this helps provide some clarity to OP's question.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:41 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Or you didn't grieve your assessment. You voted on 2.49%, but if your neighbor got a 10% reduction in their tax, all of you neighbors picked up the difference. The total tax levy does not change. If I get a reduction, YOU get an increase. That's the way it's been for years. Even w/ reassessment, that doesn't change. Under Mangano, everyone who bothered to ask got the break, so the schools went broke and raised taxes through the roof, 7%, 9%, etc. Cuomo (the momentary conservative) managed to get the 2% cap passed, probably saving LI's economy at the time. Things don't happen in a vacuum. There is a history and process to all of our dysfunction. And simple solutions that are lost to bi-partisan stupidity and brainwashed sheeple. "but howww willl weee paaayyyy forrrr itttttt." We're paying now, aint we?!

Grieved and lost, but I keep trying. I also voted against the budget increase. The school gets its budget passed one way or another. If one gets voted down, they come back with the same or higher. Last time there was a chance of the budget not passing in my district, they threatened austerity. I thought "great" until I looked at the numbers. The austerity budget was higher than the proposed budget (both being an increase over prior year).

Grieving in Suffolk is not the same as Nassau. Very difficult to get a lower assessment. Mangano is Nassau and hasn't been in office for more than two years now. Not sure how his policies have any relevance to the Town of Babylon.

With the difficulty in successful grieving, I find it hard to believe that enough people won a grievance to account for my increase of almost 3x the actual increase.

The 2% cap is not mandatory for school districts, but there are benefits to staying under the number. It's all meaningless when they call a 2.46/2.49% hike as less than the 2%. Is that Mangano math? Or do they only count the lower reassessments for the "under 2%" qualifier?

Shafting the populace on taxes is a separate issue. My problem here is the BS math for claiming the 2%.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:48 PM

874 posts, read 728,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Now that I got your attention, hear me out. Since school has been closed since March and may not reopen until September, that translates to six months of no virtually no services. So, no sports, band, concerts, events, lunches, utilities, School books, supplies, smart boards, Bus service, extra help, assemblies, etc. that means that tons of our taxes that were already collected will not be used. Of course the salaries and basic electrical expenses remain. So, what happens to all of that unspent money? Are we getting it back? Probably not. Why is this not investigated? There should be a huge surplus because of the shutdown. But there won’t be.

long island has been running a double dipping superintendent scam for years, I think they have so many superintendent and they steal money, thats where it all goes no matter what anyone tells you the schools and all these adminsistrative .

long island needs a draconican leader to purge this nonsense, just fire everyone and have 1 guy for all the schools, problem solved, money saved.

https://www.newsday.com/entertainmen...one-1.44082077

January: State comptroller's office releases report on Roslyn's external auditing firm, Miller, Lilly & Pearce, blasting company's work, saying it ignored glaring signs of fraud. State turns over findings to Nassau prosecutors investigating case.
March: Second state comptroller's report details $11.2-million embezzlement scheme that went on for more than a decade and benefitted not only school officials, but at least 25 family and friends. Report is also referred to Nassau district attorney.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:15 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
It's really a good time to move from a parent's perspective. Just not from a home-buying experience perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island