Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 04:35 PM

30 posts, read 22,583 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for this info...Really helpful. I never heard of Great River! Am checking all your suggestions out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 08:22 PM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeeker44 View Post
Thanks all for this info...Really helpful. I never heard of Great River! Am checking all your suggestions out.
Great River is part of a larger area including East Islip and Islip Terrace that are all part of the East Islip School District. Great River is probably the smallest of the three and probably the most upscale.

To the west is the hamlet of Islip which has a cute downtown area on Montauk highway. To the east is Oakdale, Sayville and Bayport, all nice communities. Sayville has a notable downtown area.

What would be nice for you is that the area is less crowded then most of Nassau and even a bit rural in some areas. There are also a lot of parks in the area such as the huge Heckscher State and Connetquot State Parks as well as Bayard Cutting Arboretum. Bayard is popular with seniors, including my parents. There are also two separate Suffolk County golf courses (Timber Point and Sayville) and the Town of Islip has a number of town parks as well.

The drawback is you are still in suburbia and will pay premium prices for housing. If this is not a problem then you get an area that is not as crowded as further west, is more laid back and further from the city, has a lot of parks, and still has quite a number stores and restaurants nearby.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:09 PM

13,506 posts, read 16,952,802 times
Quote:
OK thanks, all. I'll check these out. Never thought of Setauket but I'll investigate. Am visiting Port Jeff this week to get a feel for the place..I know they have the waterfront there with homes.
The area around Emma Clark Library is about as quaint as you can get. And there are (were) shops and restaurants on Main ST/25A. Not sure how many are surviving the lockdown. If you can afford to live there (which in your budget you can), I've always loved that area.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:17 PM

74 posts, read 59,770 times
why would anyone want to retire here and pay these taxes is beyond me.
But i know a lot of people kids still live here.
Unfortunately there really aren't' that many nice retirement type of communities that are affordable.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:53 PM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheglobe View Post
why would anyone want to retire here and pay these taxes is beyond me.
But i know a lot of people kids still live here.
Unfortunately there really aren't' that many nice retirement type of communities that are affordable.
There are some scattered retirement areas, like near Wading River and out in Riverhead and the North Fork. I don't know a lot about them though.

I do understand what you are saying and I will probably be leaving myself within 15 to 20 years at the most. The COL is the major issue along with the tax issues (which are only going to get worse) and that Long Island is become increasingly overcrowded and overbuilt.

But for some people, money is at less of an issue and they want to stay relatively close to friends and family. I can respect that.

Old 06-21-2020, 06:19 PM

99 posts, read 53,927 times
Quote:
I live in Nassau County..am looking for a slower more laid back place for retirement. Would consider moving East to Suffolk but don't know much about the towns. I'd like to live on or near the water so I'm curious about Port Jeff....I'm looking to be comfortable as a nonreligious Jew so would need a community where there are other Jews as well. Any thoughts?
Yaphank.. near the lake

Old 06-21-2020, 06:45 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,087,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The area around Emma Clark Library is about as quaint as you can get. And there are (were) shops and restaurants on Main ST/25A. Not sure how many are surviving the lockdown. If you can afford to live there (which in your budget you can), I've always loved that area.
And if you like Indian food The Curry Club is amazing.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:11 AM

30 posts, read 22,583 times
Thanks for the info....you've given me lots to investigate....I've avoided Yaphank because from what I read was not very open to Jews in the past ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island