Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 10:56 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,314,129 times

Advertisements

We are currently in the Philly area. We are intending to relocate to either central NJ or LI. Kids are college age, so schooling will not be a concern. We work from home, so commute is not a major issue. I am open to either one (NJ or LI), but my wife is a bit concerned about living on the cul de sac island (as some seem to be referring to LI, in other threads) with having to take the long route out.

However, I feel there are so many activities to do right on LI that leaving LI on a routine basis wont be necessary, unless it is to visit family in say NJ/CT/PA areas. For instance, although I dont golf, I ran into some videos about Bethpage golf courses which I understand are outstanding.

So what is missing right on LI?

I guess mountains and skiing would be one. I don't really ski, but would like to one day! But I guess one could cross country ski, which could be more fun probably? I am a walker, and cross country skiing could be to my liking? We sled, and from looking up videos, seems there is a good bit of spots for sledding.

Are there Six Flags type adventure parks near Riverhead?

Is it easy to find fish markets (to buy, cook, eat) on LI? Or do you just get it from the grocery store?

Any opinion on crabbing? It is an activity we have started recently, but looks like the Maryland is the best place for that, which we have not tried yet.

I enjoyed the bagels on LI. I hear the pizza is excellent, I have tried pizza in Brooklyn.

We are Asian Indian. I assume Queens restaurants should satisfy when we crave Indian or Asian restaurants.

I assume there are top notch hospitals on LI?

I would prefer to take the train to Manhattan for weekend fun.

Could you explain what is the reason we would have to regularly leave the island that has 7+ million people (4 counties) living on it?!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 07:01 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Stick to westchester or north of it.
Less people. less traffic, less pollution. Better homes, bigger homes and more land. Closer to mountains and woods with all the great activities that come with it. And you can still take a train to Moderator cut: language removed Manhattan if needed.

Forgot to mention the real estate bubble that is over inflated more than usual due to covid trends which eventually will roll back.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-09-2022 at 02:00 PM..

Old 01-09-2022, 10:15 AM

690 posts, read 584,242 times
I would suggest going and spending two weeks on LI. There is a significant difference from Philly suburbs, to LI. The density, the traffic, the cost. I would chose any other area you're considering, before LI. Unless you have family or employment on LI, there is no reason to subject yourself to that. Certainly not for bagels, pizza, and "top notch" hospitals (very questionable). Best of luck on your move.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:06 AM

OP here. Thanks Dave and scampy for the response.

Just for context, our children will be associated with Stony Brook and/or Rutgers for some time. Hence the choices of Central NJ and LI (Suffolk).

I dont plan to get sucked into the real estate frenzy. Will wait for the real estate cool down, and likely get a 2 BR townhouse in NJ, or a 2 BR condo in LI.

I have been to LI many times, albeit mostly day trips, suffering thru the traffic. Always stop at the first class rest area LI welcome center. Fit for a king!

I dont like to spend money on tolls, hence the interest in knowing what specific reasons I have to cross over to the toll costing side! I know to take the 3 Brooklyn area bridges, and recently Queensboro.

I liked Williamsburg (Patrizias was wonderful). Recently discovered Hot Bagels, a 24 hour place near Stony Brook.

I have lived in the south before. NYC is the metro I would like to live in. I enjoy the northeastern USA in general. I have seen a place or two in the Hudson valley, and if I have to go with that, I suppose I could. But that is neither near Rutgers nor Stony Brook.

Old 01-09-2022, 01:43 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Stick to NJ. Getting off LI is a pain in the arse, it's closer to what you're used to and frankly making friends with people who have lived on LI for 60+ years is not going to be easy. Hard as it to believe there are people on LI who have never been into the city. It's a very provincial environment. If you don't golf but want to start, there's no need to start with Bethpage. You're also closer to skiing and amusements in NJ.

Overall your personality reminds me of this guy, though, so I think you'll be happy wherever you land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6f29LzX6xs

Old 01-09-2022, 02:09 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Long Island works if your routine is to commute to and from NYC, or if you will be working locally. If you don't envision yourselves expanding outside your routine, Long Island is a great place to live and you won't have to drive far for retail options.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:58 PM

73 posts, read 32,964 times
I love Long Island (vs the other NYC suburbs), but it seems absolutely insane for someone in your position to move there. Every single other option (New Jersey, Westchester, Connecticut) makes far, far more sense for you.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:04 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I live in both places. IMO, I prefer Long Island to NJ. However, central NJ, near Rutgers, is very nice. There are plenty of Asian Indians in that area and you won't have problems finding stores that cater to the culture. Long Island also has a big Asian Indian population, primarily in New Hyde Park and Hicksville but others are scattered in various communities. If I had to drive to NJ from Long Island on a regular basis, I'd shoot myself first.

Are you thinking of the water park in Riverhead, Splish Splash?

It's odd how we compare the whole state of NJ to 2 counties in NY.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Overall your personality reminds me of this guy, though, so I think you'll be happy wherever you land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6f29LzX6xs
Hilarious video. Arbys in Massapequa was the best line. I usually have a hard time differentiating compliments and under-handed compliments, or joke vs serious, so I will just enjoy the video and leave it at that, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Stick to NJ. Getting off LI is a pain in the arse, it's closer to what you're used to and frankly making friends with people who have lived on LI for 60+ years is not going to be easy. Hard as it to believe there are people on LI who have never been into the city. It's a very provincial environment. If you don't golf but want to start, there's no need to start with Bethpage. You're also closer to skiing and amusements in NJ.
Yeah, that provincial nature was a bit of a surprise as I researched the area. A few years back, one friend said LI has its own culture. At that time I did not understand what my friend meant.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:56 PM

If I ever do move to LI, it will be because my children are all connected to Stony Brook (and none are related to Rutgers)

If I ever do move to LI, and buy something, it will be a 2 BR condo in some proximity to Stony Brook.

Will that make sense?

I never made it past Selden/Coram area which were ok. How are the north shore towns in the Miller Place - Rocky Point - Wading River. Too provincial of towns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island