Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 09:14 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Actually nobody knows why Japan wasn’t hit hard, but other considerations are they practiced a form of social distancing or they didn’t test enough.
It’s part of their culture to mask up. All the Asians around here have been wearing masks since January. And when I fly out of RDU the Asians have always worn masks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 05:12 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It’s part of their culture to mask up. All the Asians around here have been wearing masks since January. And when I fly out of RDU the Asians have always worn masks.
Right, but it doesn’t mean much as most of the masks aren’t PPE grade (I have some of both).
If you look at the OSHA breakdown of what each type of masks does, we’d need to layer three deep. And of course the majority of people don’t wear or use them properly so they become pretty much useless if a person has the Rona or runs into an active Rona spreader. So if you’re worried about catching the Rona go ahead and wear a mask but just be aware it’s not much protection.

Right now there is no set science on how the Rona spreads except how much you get and for how long.

Like I said earlier, if you see words in a document by experts, scientists or doctors like believe, may, could, etc it means that they don’t have proof at this point.
So what we are really in is a big test group or groups, which is a once in the lifetime toy for a lot of these guys. And no, I’m not a conspiracy guy, but I work with researchers and scientists and this is a real opportunity for a lot of them to study everything from virology to sociology to store layouts (one way aisles are something that supermarkets wanted to try for a long time).

Old 07-10-2020, 05:59 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Right, but it doesn’t mean much as most of the masks aren’t PPE grade (I have some of both).
If you look at the OSHA breakdown of what each type of masks does, we’d need to layer three deep. And of course the majority of people don’t wear or use them properly so they become pretty much useless if a person has the Rona or runs into an active Rona spreader. So if you’re worried about catching the Rona go ahead and wear a mask but just be aware it’s not much protection.

Right now there is no set science on how the Rona spreads except how much you get and for how long.

Like I said earlier, if you see words in a document by experts, scientists or doctors like believe, may, could, etc it means that they don’t have proof at this point.
So what we are really in is a big test group or groups, which is a once in the lifetime toy for a lot of these guys. And no, I’m not a conspiracy guy, but I work with researchers and scientists and this is a real opportunity for a lot of them to study everything from virology to sociology to store layouts (one way aisles are something that supermarkets wanted to try for a long time).
I was speaking strictly about what I've seen with Asians, since Japan was mentioned. There are myriad videos out there demonstrating the difference in respiratory droplet travel with a mask and without a mask, and obviously it works best if everyone wears one since - you're right - they aren't always (usually aren't) biohazard level 5 masks. That's why everyone - not just a few or whoever feels like it - are being asked to mask because if I have a layer and you have two layers and we stay 6 feet apart we might be good to go. NYC area has crushed the spread of 'rona - the measures they were asked to take clearly worked. Not sure why the rest of the country is having such a hard time with this but I've been working with the general public for 30 years and people have unquestionably become dumber and mentally weaker.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:14 AM

34,004 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I was speaking strictly about what I've seen with Asians, since Japan was mentioned. There are myriad videos out there demonstrating the difference in respiratory droplet travel with a mask and without a mask, and obviously it works best if everyone wears one since - you're right - they aren't always (usually aren't) biohazard level 5 masks. That's why everyone - not just a few or whoever feels like it - are being asked to mask because if I have a layer and you have two layers and we stay 6 feet apart we might be good to go. NYC area has crushed the spread of 'rona - the measures they were asked to take clearly worked. Not sure why the rest of the country is having such a hard time with this but I've been working with the general public for 30 years and people have unquestionably become dumber and mentally weaker.
/thread

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-10-2020, 06:30 AM

22 posts, read 12,152 times
Quote:

I always have to sadly laugh and roll my eyes at the effort to now pick apart the efficacy of masks. I won't waste my breath on the absurdly obvious positive impact a mask has vs airborne pollution, spit flying, stank breath, rude sneezing/coughing habits, booger picking and touching doorknobs, etc etc. They've worn masks in Japan to reduce loss of productivity due to illness for years. That is why they are at 3% unemployment now. But your theory is good too. Since they are not PPE grade and will not stop a direct sneeze blast in the face from a foot away, masks are "useless." Got it.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:27 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Tell me the respective death numbers and I'll answer that.
We can't really compare until Covid is gone. Some places that are surging were behind places like New York. What's unfortunate is that these very places had a much longer time to prepare and did nothing until cases started surging and it's too late. When it's all over, then we can compare numbers by state, which would be unfair to New York. They are a major hub to world travel, and by the time those people came in from Italy? It was way too late.

As far as infected nursing home patients going back to nursing homes? Definitely not ideal, but when your health care system is over run, where do you send them when you need a bed for Covid patients over running the health care system? The same scenario is happening in prisons now all over the country. That's how highly contagious this virus is.

Our death toll in Illinois is 7,333 with an average of 20 people still dying of it today. New York, 31,979. The number of confirmed infected here in Illinois is 152,000. New York 404,000. Most of our cases are in Cook county in Chicago. California is in trouble with 304,000 cases. Texas 240,000 cases. Florida 233,000 cases.

California was doing such a good job. Let them be a lesson to all of us. One missed step and this virus ignites like wild. It could easily be the case here in Illinois. While we're doing well now with our positivity rate at a steady 2.6, we can not let our guard down lest we wind up like New York.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:40 AM

Anybody going to Roosevelt Field tomorrow?

Old 07-10-2020, 10:27 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Anybody going to Roosevelt Field tomorrow?
I did see that the hours are only 11-7. I guess that is so they can deep clean!!!

Old 07-10-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I did see that the hours are only 11-7. I guess that is so they can deep clean!!!
All the LI posters who are against wearing masks should be giving us a full report tomorrow

Can't wait

Old 07-10-2020, 11:13 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:

Are you saying that a century of wearing surgical masks, whether cloth or paper, has been done strictly on a whim with no benefit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island